warfarin and zocor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

Hi Guys
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I have been on Warfarin for two years after a mitral valve replacement with a st Judes. Everything has been fine and i now lead a normal life, my INR is always between 2.5 and 3 and i take 3.5mg of warfarin every day. The only other medication i take is zocor for colestral. I have read that the zocor can have some side effects after long use, and lately i have been having some mild dizziness. I have just had a check up including an echo and all is well with the heart it is functioning normally according to the experts. Has anybody experienced problems with zocor?

Almost any drug can cause dizziness. However, it is usually right after you start taking it and it usually goes away after 2 weeks or so. Therefore, I doubt that it is the Zocor or the combination with warfarin. The main problem with Zocor is usually muscle aches and pains. This can be a symptom of the serious reaction rhabdomyolysis. But this is also usually experienced shortly after starting warfarin. It can occur later but it is usually associated with adding a new drug to what you are already taking. A new drug might also include a natural or herbal product.

Question for Al Lodwick:

I've been on Zocor for 3 years. Following my AVR in May of this year,
I experienced brief episodes of brief muscle pain / soreness in my thighs and upper arms. These would come and go, lasting only a short time.

Does this sound like a Zocor reaction?

Is there a test to determine if Zocor is the cause?

Would switching to Lipotor be a viable alternative?

'AL'

Thanks Guys
I have stopped taking the Zocor for now to see what happens, the dizziness is probably an extreme description, its more a light headedness, similar to a good head cold. Some of the side effects listed are a bit scarry especially liver and kidney problems they talk about. I think i would rather have higher colestral. My normal colestral is about 6.5 without the drug.

Cheers Dave

'AL'

It may have been the Zocor. Switching to Lipitor would probably not do much. There is no test to see if the Zocor caused it. Monitoring the ALT (Liver function test) will show if toxicity is occurring.

The time lag since these occurred rules against Zocor the toxicity usually gets worse and seldom, if ever, goes away.

Wayfarin & Zocor

Wayfarin & Zocor

Hi Dave ,
I have been taking theses two together since march and have not had any conplaints. I take 5mg of wayfarin and 80mg. of Zocor.

Sherrin Hutt
MVR-3/02

Latest posts

Back