Warfarin and organ donation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

Does anyone know off hand if long time warfarin users can be organ donors? I've always understood we can't donate blood and kind of assumed that our organs were somehow compromised as well. At least the liver anyway.

Are we damaged goods?

I worked for an organ procurement organization and I was also a heart/lung transplant coordinator 10+ years ago. At that time coumadin was not an automatic rule out for organ donation. I also know a person that was waiting for a heart transplant had a brain bleed and was declared brain dead, he was on coumadin and his family donated his organs, aside from his heart of course. So unless something has changed that I am not aware of, yes you can take coumadin and be an organ donor. There are very few things that initially rule someone out from being evaluated to be an organ donor.

I was with someone this padt weekend who works for a tissue bank (eyes, skin, etc). She said they can accept my tissue.

Back