Warfarin and echinacea??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jane

Does anyone know if there is any interaction between warfarin (coumadin) and echinacea, which I like to use if I feel a cold or other virus coming on?? So far I have not taken it since I started the warfarin as I wanted to make sure it is ok. The local pharmacist is no help as she does not want to commit herself.

Sorry I can't answer your question.

Zicam, OTC zinc based nasal gel works like a charm for the common cold and does not interact with my Coumadin.

Since I discoved Zicam, 2 years? Have only been on an antibotic twice for secondary infectoins. It's amazing stuff. Give it a try.

Jane:

I did a search on Google, "echinacea and anticoagulants," and found all sorts of information on herbs and interactions. The listings for echinacea did not list interactions with anticoagulants. Some of the sites had charts that did list many herbs, such as Alfalfa, Dong Quai, Feverfew, Ginko, and other herbs that might interact with anticoagulants. You might want to do your own search. In addition to finding out about echinacea, you might find other information that would be important to one on anticoagulants.
Hope this helps.
Blanche

Hi Jane,

Before I had surgery I used echinacea all the time. After I started on Coumadin after surgery, I asked the cardiologist about taking echinacea and he told me it would be better not to. Maybe Al can give us an answer on this one. I too looked up drug interaction for echinacea and anti-coagulants but never saw anything in my research saying not to use it. Only that my cardio said I probably shouldn't

I shouldn't let myself get sucked up in this one, but here goes.

No reported interaction with warfarin.

Effectiveness - no comment.

Thanks for all replies. Al, my surgeon also was sceptical about the efficacity of echinacea, but I am convinced it helps.

Latest posts

Back