Waiting game starts over........

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hello-

I had my mitral valve repaired 01/30/2012 and had an echo done a couple weeks ago. It turns out that I have moderate leakage. I guess the ring didn't hold that well?? The surgeon said that he doesn't know what happened. He said that no leakage was noted on the TEE after the surgery and no murmur so my cardiologist said that we will do another echo in 6 months and then yearly after that unless symptoms show otherwise.....

Questions:

If you had to do a re-do, would you chose the same surgeon?

Oh, here is your post. ECHO's measure gradients and flow speeds and calculate velocities. If the probe points at an angle the calculations can be slightly off. This would scare me and I would ask for a repeat ECHO. Especially, since your surgeon saw nothing 2 month ago, and now they see MODERATE leakage.

Yes, I vote for another echo, either now or certainly in 6 months. Get a different tech, and if this one shows leakage, ask for another echo by another tech to confirm.
And if you get symptomatic in the meantime, call your cardio!

Hello Laura,

I had an echo show moderate as well. A TEE was ordered an it showed only mild to moderate regurg but more importantly that the ring was secure. I would recommend strongly to ask about doing a TEE.

Yes I would use the same surgeon.

Hello-

I had my mitral valve repaired 01/30/2012 and had an echo done a couple weeks ago. It turns out that I have moderate leakage. I guess the ring didn't hold that well?? The surgeon said that he doesn't know what happened. He said that no leakage was noted on the TEE after the surgery and no murmur so my cardiologist said that we will do another echo in 6 months and then yearly after that unless symptoms show otherwise.....

Questions:

If you had to do a re-do, would you chose the same surgeon?

I wouldn't use the same surgeon if it ends up being an issue that you have to deal with so soon.

Just IMO though. If they couldn't get it right the first time, who's to say they can a second time?

Do you have to pay twice for something you paid for the first time, but didn't work?

Hope everything turns out ok.

I had resurgery after 8 months and used the same surgeon. Off course I had my doubts for a while and asked critical questions. I think no mistakes (not that I think a doctor or hospital would easily admit to that) were made and that there is just not a 100% guarantee everthing will be fine and without complications.

People tend to look for the best doctor available, which I also did. But I believe at some point you have to make a choice and put your faith in the doctor' hands. We all probably dont want to think about it this way but to our doctors these surgeries are just another day in the office. People look for example at mortality rates of doctors etc. I think this does not necessarily mean that much, because we dont know how "difficult" the cases of each surgeon were.

A doctor who has a zero % mortality rate may be gettting sloppy and his first may be around the corner. As where a doctor who recently made a mistake or had a mortality may have learned from it will be more cautious.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I hope this is not something you have to deal with anytime soon.

I am just a month after my second surgery so I hope I can keep faith in my doctor for a long time and will be ok for the next 30-40 years :)

At my first echo after 6 month there was severe stenosis and I was told to come back for another echo in 3 months. I quickly made a calculation and requested for an echo earlier.

I figured that if I could go from a new valve to severe stenosis in 6 months, then 3 month would be a very long time and I figured I could end up beyond severe (failure) within that time.

Your situation is a bit different because you are only at "moderate" level and yours is in mitral position in which case I believe less people remain asymptomatic. For peace of mind I would in your case consider to have an echo earlier than 6 months.

This is the biggest concern with a mitral repair. will it hold? Surprised that it is moderate so soon. I agree with the need for a TEE. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back