Vision Disturbances and Migraines

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

lilyofthewest

At nearly 2 years out, my vision disturbances had decreased in severity and frequency. Then a month or so ago they ramped way up again. After reading someone here say their eye dr. said they may be related to small blood clots on the retina, I thought about that and realized that I'd been neglecting to take daily low dose aspirin. So I got back on it hoping that might help, and low and behold the vision disturbances are again on the wane. My cardiologist's still in denial despite the issue only arising post surgery.

In regard to the metropolol side effects, I took myself off it because after about 10 months, it was causing my hair to fall out in clumps. By the time I figured out the problem I'd lost about half my hair. Thankfully shortly after I quit the metropolol my hair started to come back in and is now near normal.

DachsieMom

In my case, metoprolol made my hands leathery and peeling horribly. I was only on 25 mg but once I stopped taking it, I was fine.
I have the visual aura and migraine.

Jenrc

Boston, MA Medical care at Brigham & Women's, surg
Hi all,

Been a long time since chiming in here, I had OHS in 2012 after a bout of endocarditis. I have a mechanical Aortic valve On-X and a collar on my mitral valve. I wholeheartedly believe there is a tie-in with cardiac issues and eyesight.

When I had the endocarditis, I had very frequent floaters for months. I was also pregnant at the time so there is always that factor. As I became more ill with endocarditis (before diagnosis), I had very severe eye issues. I would get these blackout spots--like when you look at the sun or a bright light too long and it causes temporary vision loss in the spots. I got them all the time, few times a day for weeks.

Magically, after the endocarditis treatment (7 weeks in and out of hospital on IV antibiotics) those spots dissipated and the floaters did not return. I then had a c-section with my son and a week later I had my OHS. In the hospital after that, I experienced this weird thing with my vision at night. Everything became hazy--like when I switched on the light, it was a fog.

That continued for a few weeks, but really only at night after I had been sleeping awhile and got up. In one of my follow-up visits I mentioned this (as I had while in the hospital for a week after surgery), so my Dr. set me up with an Ophthalmologist to check things out. They took pictures of my retina and sure enough there were tiny tears in them (I think this is the scenario, it's been 7 years). The Doctor mentioned that he saw this frequently in OHS patients (I did give him my full story, pregnancy included) and that he was going to monitor me to make sure they healed up. They did and I am fine now.

Occasionally I get floaters but yes those usually lead to a very minor headache and sometimes not at all. Never have gotten migraines. I see an Optometrist every year and we always discuss vision disturbances but I haven't had any so severe as when I was sick and following my OHS.

Anecdotal, but once Drs see enough of this, it might sink in a little as a possibility.

Dan Zulu

I never had migraines or visual disturbances before my surgery. For years now, ever since the OHS, I have optical migraines, shimmering lights that make me stop working. Neurological ophthalmologist thinks the 183 minutes on bypass caused it.

Hi Dan - I started having those when I turned 40. Long before my surgery. I read that it is common after age 40. Of course I am sure that long bypass time could be a cause also. I certainly have had "floaters" ever since my surgery.

doclewis

have posted my experience with optical migraines previously. I was interested in post quoting neuro-ophthalmologist said about time on bypass. I asked my surgeon post op and he said it didn't make any difference and didn't tell me time on bypass. Two theories that I have heard are increased blood flow to brain and somehow related to bypass.