Veronika Meyer Climbs Mt. Everest Post-AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adam 12-21-05

Hey everybody,

I just heard an amazing and inspirational story about Veronika Meyer. Have you heard of her?

Talk about tenacity, desire and a will to live an amazing life following heart valve surgery!!! I was so inspired after learning about her story, I did a quick write-up. Here it is if you are interested!

Cheers... Adam

The story of Veronika Meyer is extraordinary. A heart valve replacement recipient at age forty-six, Veronika has a unique mountain climbing hobby. Actually, mountain climbing is more than a hobby for Veronika. It?s more of an obsession for the scientist from St. Gallen, Switzerland.

Since receiving a mechanical heart valve in 1997, Veronika Meyer?s mountain climbing accomplishments include the ascent of Mount McKinley, the highest mountain in North America, and Aconcagua, the highest peak of both the Americas.

In 2003, Veronika Meyer attempted the ultimate mountain climbing challenge - Mount Everest. Unfortunately, Veronika?s first attempt was not a success. Veronika was forced to turn back just below the famous Second Step landmark because of a heavy storm.

Although disappointed, Veronika was pleased to have climbed to 8,600 meters or 28,215 feet?her "personal best" altitude.

Then, in 2005, Veronika made her second attempt to summit Mount Everest, but had to turn back at 7800 meters because of unpredictable weather conditions. Although two members of Veronika?s team reached the peak, a third member tragically died during that expedition.

Veronika experienced three failed attempts to climb to the top of the world, located at 8,850 meters (29,035 feet) above sea level.

However, in 2007, on her fourth attempt, Veronika conquered Mount Everest. By all known accounts, Veronika Meyer is the first mountain climber implanted with a mechanical heart valve to successfully ascend Everest.

?Conditions were excellent this year with a lot of snow, but in addition, all of us were strong,? Meyer said.

Since New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay first reached Everest in 1953, about 2,000 climbers have scaled the mountain. Another 205 people have died on its dangerous slopes.

Thanks for sharing this inspiring story. Sir Edmund Hillary was also an inspiration to many of us. He passed away on 11 January 2008 in Auckland, NZ. It is people like they who have the determination to conquer adversity that gives hope and courage to others.

Even more evidence that your lifesyle need not change much with a mechanical valve. A person can limit themselves just as much as they want too.

Showed some guts and determination there Veronika Meyer. Very impressed. Well done that woman.

In no way to detract from her achievement there are concerns about the Everest region becoming a tourist playground. The kudos of climbing or partially climbing the worlds highest mountain is huge. If I may quote Prakash Sharma, director of Friends of the Earth Nepal, 'The exponential increase in pollution and other negative environmental situations on Mount Everest is a direct result of the massive increase in visitors to the region,' he said. 'The Khumbu region and the city of Kathmandu can comfortably hold about 40,000 people. In the coming months, during peak tourist season in the lower valley, there will be as many as 700,000.

'Twenty to forty thousand of these people attempt, at some altitude, to ascend the mountains of the Himalayas, including thousands who will at least trek to the foot of Everest. There is no infrastructure in this region to cope with the pollution this many people generate, and as a result the Nepali Himalayas have become the highest junkyard in the world.'

Sharma claims that the tonnes of rubbish on Everest include climbing equipment, foods, plastics, tins, aluminium cans, glass, clothes, papers, tents and even discarded electronic equipment such as satellite dishes. Some climbers have reported finding bloody syringes and vials of unlabelled medications. Other campaigners claim the dead body count on the mountain, 188 according to varying estimates, is enough reason to temporarily close it.

If I'm thinking correctly, St. Jude helped foot the bill for her climb. Which I guess goes to show the faith they have in their valve.

Sharma claims that the tonnes of rubbish on Everest include climbing equipment, foods, plastics, tins, aluminium cans, glass, clothes, papers, tents and even discarded electronic equipment such as satellite dishes. Some climbers have reported finding bloody syringes and vials of unlabelled medications. Other campaigners claim the dead body count on the mountain, 188 according to varying estimates, is enough reason to temporarily close it.

One of our clients is one of those bodies. When the young man went missing after hiking near base camp a couple of years ago, the helicopter searchers had difficulty searching because of all the garbage. They were low enough to spot candy bar wrappers. He's never been found. It is terrible that the garbage interferes with searches.

Karlynn said:
If I'm thinking correctly, St. Jude helped foot the bill for her climb. Which I guess goes to show the faith they have in their valve.
I'm thinking it shows you have to have faith period. :)

St. Jude did foot the bill for her climb. We are thinking about hitting up On-X to sponsor my son racing the Baja 1000. Unfortunately, I don't think as many people know or understand what that event is compared to climbing Everest.

Either way, I think that it is pretty inspirational how healthy most people are these days after valve replacement.

wow! Well for me at the moment and I'm sure many others, climbing the stairs feels like an analogous achievement. I often feel like I should get a trophy or at least a certificate of some kind! A gentle round of applause and a few appreciative head bobs might suffice...

It does give a body hope for the future though :) That said, I can't personally see the point of the whole Everest climb. I've never really understood the appeal of it. If I'm being REALLY honest, I've always thought it rather a selfish thing to do because if these intrepid people get into trouble up there, someone's got to risk their lives going to help them off.

It has to be said, I'm not a sporty/adventurous person, and to each his own and everything, but when all is said and done, when you get to the top... then what? Turn round and come back :confused: Why would anyone risk their lives and the lives of others for that? I understand achievement for achievements sake I suppose, but only if it doesn't necessitate someone else risking their necks just so I can say, 'yeah I did that'.

Just my twopennorth worth as my Granny used to say :D

Lynn in lots of ways I agree, but over the years I've come to the conclusion that some people set goals that none of us would ever contemplate and they do go forth and do them. It always amazes me that anyone risks there life like that. I was too close to dead. Much too close. I won't go there.

lynnconnolly said:
wow! Well for me at the moment and I'm sure many others, climbing the stairs feels like an analogous achievement. I often feel like I should get a trophy or at least a certificate of some kind! A gentle round of applause and a few appreciative head bobs might suffice...

Clapping.jpg

Hey Lynn climbed the stairs tonight. Come on you people show some appreciation, put your hands together. :D :D

:D Teeeheeeeeee Thank you Bonzo! That's given me a good laugh and I'm going to print that picture, make myself a certificate on the pc and put both at the top of the stairs :D

Karlynn said:

And the heights to which a company will go to advertise their product:rolleyes:
Though if you can climb a mountain with St. Jude- Point taken! Like Lynn,
I can barely climb the STAIRS with my bovine:( . Thats no slur
on the cow,though.

Ross said:
I'll add my two cents then:

Thank you Ross :D I love that one! Dina, you and I should keep Ross and Bonzo's pictures in our heads next time we climb our own carpet-clad Everest :D Maybe we should make a documentary detailing our breathless struggles to the summit (in my case, my bedroom) :D Sadly for me, few men have made it to the summit and many have turned back halfway there, in fear of their lives... ;)

lynnconnolly said:
........... Maybe we should make a documentary detailing our breathless struggles to the summit (in my case, my bedroom) :D Sadly for me, few men have made it to the summit and many have turned back halfway there, in fear of their lives... ;)

:eek: :eek: Lynnconnolly the Derbyshire Domitrax. Puts a whole new slant on the 'restless legs' post. ;) :D :D

Bonzo Dog said:
:eek: :eek: Lynnconnolly the Derbyshire Domitrax. Puts a whole new slant on the 'restless legs' post. ;) :D :D
Well she fits right in with the rest of us sexually misunderstood creatures. :D

Back