Veinous blood at 6.0!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sending a Coag-Sense across country probably isn't the most practical suggestion. A few thoughts -- although my experience with the InRatio monitor got results that were HIGHER than the labs and usually higher than the CoaguChek XS (and almost always higher than the Coag-Sense), you may be able to find someone in the Virginia area who has an InRatio and may let you try a test or two using the inRatio. Whatever it is that is causing the CoaguChek XS to give erroneous results may not cause the InRatio to do the same.

I have a few (don't ask) ProTime and ProTime 3 meters. As I've said before, these seem to be quite accurate but are a bit of a pain to use because they require more blood than the other meters require. They seem to need their rechargeable batteries replaced, but will work fine when plugged in to AC. I'm not sure when my strips expire, but if they're still current, I may be able to send you meter and a few strips as a loan. PM me and we can discuss this further.

The ProTime meters use a mechanical method to determine clotting, so they're probably insensitive to the hematocrit issues that may cause other POCs (except for the Coag-Sense) to report incorrect values.

Protimenow, Thanks for the offer of the ProTime meters. I'll PM you for specifics if I decide to try either of them, but will wait for now. I started another thread on both the AC forums to see if anyone in Va area has the CoagSense machines. There is someone I've contacted in my area with a INRatio machine who I'll meet with soon.

My insurance will pay for a system and training, strips, etc. but I'm pretty sure they won't if I go out on my own for a system. I suspect my insurance uses either Inratio or CoaguCheck XS machines for home testing since the clinic mentioned at one point the home unit would be set up through Alere and I believe that's what they use. I don't know if Alere or my insurance can be flexible on which machine I use if it turns out CoagSense is the one that works. But I'll cross that bridge when/ if I get to it.

Interesting that you mentioned the sensitivity to Hematocrit of some of the machines. I knew hem could affect it but not specific machines more than others. However, my hematocrit is within normal range, and range of the CoaguCheck XS machines. So that shouldn't be affecting the results. Other than being 8 weeks into recovery, I've no other immune system issues but it's the Antiphopholipid antiBody that my clinician suspects is the problem (even if no symptoms or related illnesses that would suggest this.)

I'm trying to get off the Tramadol to see if that makes a difference (per Pellicle's theory), but it's hard to do when I'm still hurting so much. I made it through last night with none but barely and was essentially up since 3am because couldn't find comfortable position to sleep in due to chest pain. I'm waiting for my Cardiac Rehab to get set up so I can talk to them about this pain issue as well. I'm really thinking the lingering pain issue is a muscular/ connective-tissue issue and hope they have some massage or non-drug means of easing the tension that's causing the pain.

Anyway, thanks again for offer and I'll PM you when I'm ready to give it a go.

Linda

Latest posts

Back