Vancouver Marathon Finisher

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted. Life has been keeping me very busy this last year. I wish I had a good report from marathon number five, but I keep telling myself that finishing it is what really counts when all is said and done. My goal was to run in the 4:20 to 4:40 range; but my final time was 5:19:45. At the nine mile mark my left knee buckled, and for the remainder of the marathon I ran and walked with an obvious limp and just literally grit my teeth for the most part. I was clearly in pain, and was somewhat vocal at times. :eek: My brother and sister were both running their first marathons with me, so I did not want to be the sibbling that let them down! My brother ran a 4:22 and my sister ran a 5:06; not bad for first timers. My wife walked the half marthon in 3:33, and I am so very proud of her and the effort she put in to train for it. My parents were there, so I think it must have been very pleasing to see the accomplishments of the family.

The mistake I made, was Wednesday, the first night of my vacation before
the marathon. My work called me in on an emergency. I was up and down a 10 foot ladder, literally I would guess around 40 times during a 9 straight hour period. The night before the marathon (Saturday night) as my brother and I sat by the pool, I told him, "I am sitting in this chair and both my knees are still throbbing, and I am going to run a marathon in the morning." At the one mile mark I knew I was most likely in for trouble as my knees were feeling so fatigued already. Lesson learned .... don't answer my phone the week of a marathon! :) Lesson number two (and I know better) don't run a marathon with only 7 miles on your running shoes. (dumb huh?) It certainly did not help.

Well marathon retirement lasted 2 days ( I have to finish on a better note!) ... Next up the Seattle Marathon on November 26th, this coming fall. This is a hilly marathon, but I'm up for the challange. It is very walker friendly, so Charyl will probably walk the half-marathon. Hopefully I will run this on my God given knees and not some new titanium ball and joints. :D

I aplologize for not checking in much. If I can be of any help to anyone training or whom may have questions about running post heart valve surgery, drop me a line.

Take care friends, thanks for always being there. ... Mark

Congrats on seeing it through, Mark. A full mary is tough enough w/out having injury to work through. I hope you didn't do any significant damage that won't heal quickly. Make sure you give yourself time to heal before ramping up the miles again.

Best wishes

oH, look, everybody. It's Mark! How good to see you. You sound so good and healthy.

Congratulations to the entire family for the accomplishments. I know your parents are just tickled and so proud of all of you.

Keep it up and we look forward to hearing how it goes in November on your OWN God given knees.

For newbies: Mark ran all the way from California to New York (no, not all at one time); kept us posted all the way via a map. It was truly awesome. From a VALVER, yet! He's been running ever since and we are proud of him.

Hang in Mark

Hang in Mark

Mark Wagner said:
Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted. Life has been keeping me very busy this last year. I wish I had a good report from marathon number five, but I keep telling myself that finishing it is what really counts when all is said and done. My goal was to run in the 4:20 to 4:40 range; but my final time was 5:19:45. At the nine mile mark my left knee buckled, and for the remainder of the marathon I ran and walked with an obvious limp and just literally grit my teeth for the most part. I was clearly in pain, and was somewhat vocal at times. :eek: My brother and sister were both running their first marathons with me, so I did not want to be the sibbling that let them down! My brother ran a 4:22 and my sister ran a 5:06; not bad for first timers. My wife walked the half marthon in 3:33, and I am so very proud of her and the effort she put in to train for it. My parents were there, so I think it must have been very pleasing to see the accomplishments of the family.

The mistake I made, was Wednesday, the first night of my vacation before
the marathon. My work called me in on an emergency. I was up and down a 10 foot ladder, literally I would guess around 40 times during a 9 straight hour period. The night before the marathon (Saturday night) as my brother and I sat by the pool, I told him, "I am sitting in this chair and both my knees are still throbbing, and I am going to run a marathon in the morning." At the one mile mark I knew I was most likely in for trouble as my knees were feeling so fatigued already. Lesson learned .... don't answer my phone the week of a marathon! :) Lesson number two (and I know better) don't run a marathon with only 7 miles on your running shoes. (dumb huh?) It certainly did not help.

Well marathon retirement lasted 2 days ( I have to finish on a better note!) ... Next up the Seattle Marathon on November 26th, this coming fall. This is a hilly marathon, but I'm up for the challange. It is very walker friendly, so Charyl will probably walk the half-marathon. Hopefully I will run this on my God given knees and not some new titanium ball and joints. :D

I aplologize for not checking in much. If I can be of any help to anyone training or whom may have questions about running post heart valve surgery, drop me a line.

Take care friends, thanks for always being there. ... Mark

Mark: Sounds like you are right on the money with your assessment and most importantly, your desire remains strong. There are no truly bad experiences in life - we learn from them all. I agree with BillC - get healed up for Seattle later this year. Best wishes, Mark

Mark Wagner said:
Hopefully I will run this on my God given knees and not some new titanium ball and joints. :D

Are you making fun of me little man? :mad: :D I don't know about knees, but since I had my hip done, I cannot run at all. :(

Congratulations, Mark!

Your outlook, along with others, kept me positive while waiting for my replacement.

Mark, from where I sit, you've accomplished something tremendous

Mark, from where I sit, you've accomplished something tremendous

Congratulations!!!

Congrats on the Marathon. a little over 5 hours is nothing to sneer at;especially with pain as a companion! Way to tough it out!
Laura /LLJ

Wow, what an accomplishment! Way to go! By the way I did PM you back but for some reason the message kept bouncing back to me. It's so good to see so many active valvers. Inspirational!

--Janea

Latest posts

Back