Valve Selection 2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Lorraine;

Thanks for the speedy reply. In my research today I came across something about the Medtronic Mosaic which gave me pause. It was not dated, so it could be very old data.

It was on :www.mdiconsultants.com/section_NI/FDA_Recalls/recallarchiev6.htm

It referenced a product recall for the Medronic Mosaic Porcine Bioprosthesis, for Aortic Valves, model numbers 30519,30521,30523,30535,30527. recall #Z-867/868-0.

Reason: " A misinterpretation in measurement of coaptation depth by a technician resulted in the release of out of specification devices."

I am guessing this issue has long been resolved, but its the first I heard about this, and thought it worth passing on.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

I think I am one of only a handful of women valvers in their 60's..I am age 63..I had my Valve replaced at age 61 due to an aneurysm.........Lucky me they found it...:) My surgeon told me (laying on bed after Cath. of heart) that he would be putting in a mech. valve....that at my age...he would not want to see me go through another open-heart surgery....Yes, I am on coumadin...I think Chris has covered all the home-testing (Protime)..which I have. My INR IS always in range.:) ..I travel, eat most anything, take care of an age 11 year old and half his friends.:D :D (Grandson)...And the Surgeon was correct. I would never want to go through another surgery. I did great..just that it takes a year..to get back to where you were..before Vr. surgery....I am so lucky that I had a great hubby ( 37 years) that watched after me..Driving, cooking, housework, ect...and..yes, these are things you will not feel like doing for a long time. There will be many doctor appointments to go to..after surgery..plus driving to drugstore, ect....... I am so glad that I have a mech. valve...NO surgery to dread in the future. Just take a pill a day...:) Also, at our age..I'm sure your doctors will want to see you every 6 months...(Even with a tissue).....I am happy that in 15 years..I will not be a burden to my family again...and I plan to live way beyond age 82..:D :D ..If you live in New York and planning surgery in the winter..be sure and have an inside place you can go for walking...Malls, ect. Will need that for several months. And watch the icy sidewalks.:eek: Am lucky I live in the South..and had VR. in March..Was able to walk my streets, ect. in warm weather.Takes a good 3 months..to get back into light exercise, ect....Good Luck..Bonnie

Hi Lorraine

Welcome to another New Yawker!!! We're from Long Island (east end) and my husband, Tyce, had an AVR at St. Francis in June 2002. His surgeon was Dr. James Taylor and we couldn't have been happier with him. We were also extremely pleased with the hospital....well run, clean, unbelievably efficient....can't say enough good things about them. If you're interested, I'd be happy to tell you more, just send me a pm......I can tell you, though, that Dr. Taylor was recommended to us by a very dear friend who does medical mal practice for self insured hospitals....needless to say, she knows who NOT to go to. Her opinion on his group was "absolutely outstanding!"

Welcome aboard!!!

Evelyn

Dear Bob,

I looked at the mdiconsultants website that you noted; there are hundreds of recalls for all kinds of medical devices from many companies. Medtronics is a very large company that makes many devices, and I do not know of a reason to think they have a worse safety record than other companies. It is scary to read that a technician mismeasured something so important, but compliance in devicemanufacture and in drug development is a very difficult subject and fraught with problems. I have some experience in the research compliance field. What I read would not make me uncomfortable about choice of their valve.

Lorraine

Dear Bonnie,

It's good to hear from another person who is more than 50. Most of those on this forum are so young, even though it's the over 60 group who are having most of the valve replacements. Probably a function of who is using the computer to communicate.

I waffled for a bit over the type of valve, but do seem to have an extreme need for freedom, even though I do not do the type of sports or motorbiking that some have written about. And, as others have noted, there is a change in calcium metabolism as one ages that favors durability of the animal valve. I have also looked at the statistics on reoperation in making my decision. While riskier than the first surgery, most people by far survive and do well afterwards, even though advanced age, characteristic of this group, is an independent risk factor. I am comfortable with my decision to select a biologic valve.

I am wondering though, why more of the younger people are not considering the Ross procedure, which is what I probably would have opted for at their age.

I am seeking the best way to take your advice on walking. Last winter was brutal here, and icy driveways frighten me. I've already asked my surgeon if he thought I could fly somewher warmer; of course he couldn't say anything definite until after surgery when he sees how I am doing, but I'm encouraged that he didn't rule it out. It doesn't have to be swimming weather, just a temperate place with good places to walk and some things to see. Any ideas for an extended stay in February?

Best,

Lorraine

Latest posts

Back