Valve Replacement VIA Cathater

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
transcatheter valve replacement

transcatheter valve replacement

I have a draft of a paper on this topic from a dr. who is possibly going to be among the first to have this available when the FDA approves it for more clinical trials.

Apparently valve replacement by cath was started in 1992 on pigs, and was first done on a human in 2000 (in the pulm. position). From what I read, they are using a tissue valve (equine, porcine, bovine) and placing it in a stent of some kind (it varies depending on the valve, usually stainless steel though).

Since then, it has been done well over 100 times in the pulm. position with no mortality rate (either during the procedure or after). The trials going on for the pulm. position in the U.S. are expected to be only approved (at first) for non-native pulmonary valves (meaning Ross patients and others who've already had a pulm. valve replacement).

The only mortality with any transcatheter valve replacement (as of the time of this paper in Dec.) was one done for the aortic position.

I don't know much about the mitral valve replacements by cath but the paper I have has a section on that (I skipped it as it doesn't apply to our situation right now).

Anyway, the FDA is expected to approve wider use of pulm. valve (non-native) replacement by cath any time now.

Hi everyone. When Tim, my son, was having surgery last year, one of the invasive cardiologists, Dr. Hildebrant (cannot remember how to spell it) from Columbia in NY was going to be doing a trial on this. He was still trying to figure out if my sone qualified for being inthe trial, since the valvuloplasty of the pulmonic valve did not work.

Has anyone heard that this was being done? I have found no literature on the internet about a study in this area.

Thanks,

margie

God bless all of you.

Latest posts

Back