Valve Replacement through Endovascular procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there's anybody on VR.com who's had an aortic valve replacement carried out through an endovascular procedure. It sounds like an exciting approach. I believe some patients who've had this procedure were only sedated and not fully asleep! That's amazing.

I was talking to a man who supplies the valves used for endovascular surgery, he's a relative of a friend of mine. Anyway he kindly spoke to the surgeon he works with on my behalf. The surgeon said it was almost impossible for me to be considered for this as the criteria is that you must be a high risk patient who cannot have conventional open heart surgery. Also nobody knows what the long term outcome of this type of valve replacement is.

To be honest if I had the option I'd probably strongly consider this type of surgery. Lower mortality risk compared to OHS and no heart and lung machine needed and also probably no need for a general anesthetic.

I'd be interested in your opinions.

It is still in trials and is only used in high risk folks. My concern is that it may have the same draw back as other baloon surgery in veins etc, They tend to close back up after 6 to 18 months. Another procedure for high risk people is the aortic valve bypass. It has a proven track record and can be done off pump, minimal invasive. See the new stuff forum even though it is not really new.
That being said if you just need valve replacement I would go with the traditional OHS and save the other 2 incase you need them when you are older and weaker.

That being said if you just need valve replacement I would go with the traditional OHS and save the other 2 incase you need them when you are older and weaker.

Is that because OHS is a tried and trusted method?

Yes and the results have a track record for lasting longer. The other 2 are used on weaker people because they are better than doing nothing. That is not to say that as the do more and make changes that they may be used on others.

If all you need is a valve replacement that can be done with less invasive methods and lower risk. Also using a place with robtic assisted surgery is showing great results with lower risk.

Latest posts

Back