Valve Replacement June 1 at Children's Hosp

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

beccaslp

My surgery is schedule for June 1 at Arkansas CHildren's Hospital. has anyone else had their surgery at a children's hospital? I am having my aortic valve replaced with a St. Judes mechanical valve. They are having to make my annullus bigger. (That sounds kind of gross, doesn't it?)

Sort of anxious about the coumadin, but I will manage. Any advice, suggestions?

BECCA

There is no need to be anxious about Coumadin. I would love to hear the garbage you've been told about. You've been here for a bit now, so I'm sure you've done some reading. If you haven't seen Al Lodwicks site yet, do so. There is a wealth of information there www.warfarinfo.com .

I'll let the others discuss the hospital and such and I'll stick you on the calendar. Meanwhile, sit back and enjoy life. ;)

I had my VR surgery at a children's hospital (Texas Children's in Houston) when I was 25. It was great. True, I was among the oldest there (there were actually two other adults to pass through while I was there, though I didn't see them), but the staff were all wonderful. I always got funny looks when volunteers would come to the room to suggest "arts and crafts" and see me in the bed. :) They would walk in talking, then stop mid-sentence. It was funny. But everyone was great.

The thing I loved most was that they not only allowed, but expected someone to stay with me. When I go to adult hospitals, that's not always the case. Plus, the rooms were all private, with a day bed for my husband to sleep on. This may not be the case at your children's hospital, but it was for mine.

Granted, this was just my experience at THIS children's hospital. I had my first open heart at another children's hospital (in Dallas), and I wasn't nearly as impressed. Of course, I wasn't there as long either (three days, half of which I was in ICU). At that hospital I was crabby because I had to share a room with an infant who cried all night long! :eek: And his mom didn't stay with him at night, so there was no one there to try to calm him down. If your hospital has semi-private rooms, try your best to get a private. Sharing with kids can be a HUGE pain when you're trying to recover.

Latest posts

Back