valve repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKE69

Why do I see with valve repair some patients are on thinners and some are not.

I had aortic valve repair and aortic anurysm repair but I am on asprin

I was only on thinners for the first 90 days after the repair (actually it ended up being much less as they took me off during my pericardial tamponade episode and decided I didn't need to go back on). My understanding is that it's just a precaution while the valve area heals. Now I'm just on low dose aspirin.

Why do I see with valve repair some patients are on thinners and some are not.

I had aortic valve repair and aortic anurysm repair but I am on asprin
I was on cumadin before my diagnosis last summer. In 2005 I had a pulmonary embolism. A person with a history of those, is at risk for another. So I will be on cumadin for life.

I think it depends largely on whether you have a mechanical valve or not. Tissue valves don't always require blood thinners, but mechanical valves do.

Thinners are not needed if they have not added rings or stents (or anything foreign I think) to support the repair. Except for during the tune-in phase. I also had Waran for 90 days.

For those with supporting rings etc., I believe most are on standard dosage Trombyl or something similar.

BR

::Gustaf

Most repair patients (and tissue replacement valvers) usually have a three month course of ACT. Unless there are other reasons for continuing coumadin, most surgeons say three months is enough.

Thinners

Thinners

As I understand it, if you have an annuloplasty ring ritted as part of your repair, you have to take the ACT to prevent clots forming while your own tissue grows into the ring.

In my case, I had three mitral chords replaced and an annuloplasty ring fitted so I am on them for the first three months post op. As other posters have said, I think they do it as a cautionary thing.

Andrew

Back