valve or bypass worse

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Visited with a high school classmate today. He is an OB/GYN. He asked about my valve replacement and when I told him I had bypass he said I was lucky - was better off than valvers. The question was asked recently in VR here which was worse and inadvertently, I got an answer from a physician. Don't recall who asked it but the question came up recently and you will know who you are. God bless

Hi..I don't post to often..but I try and read as frequently as I can:) :D
I had both a AVR AND a triple bypass(at the same time)..I imagine that they are about equal..once they have to open your chest..what difference does it really make? I imagine if you are able to have either the valve replaced /repaired or the bypass performed with minumally invasive surgery there would be a difference from the "traditional" surgery in the amount of pain, anethesia, no pump, and recovery, also there may be some difference for those having a mechanical valve vs tissue valves because of the coumidin. My Husband had a bypass about 15 years ago and his recovery was very similar to mine.
I'm sure that many people will jump in here. Frankly I would have been very happy to do without either operation:D
Joan

I had both..at the same time..a double bypass and aortic valve replaced. If it had not been for my faulty valve being monitored over the years, the blockages I had may not have been known about. I felt lucky in that regard.

My husband had a quad bypass...Off pump..his recovery was alot faster than mine. I can't know if the difference was the'off-pump' procedure or lack of valve problem in his case. Hmmm...still wondering about that..

Zipper/Joan

Back