Valve Incision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seabush

My mother needs to have her aortic and tricuspid valves replaced. Does she have any options besides having a long incision down the middle of her breastbone?

Thanks

Crysta

Crysta

Crysta

Hi,
unfortunately, at this time, there seems no alternative to the incision down one's chest. They are experimenting with "keyhole" surgeries, but not for valve replacement.

What is your concern and/or your mom's?

I just had my surgery 7/12 and my incision is not too bad, a little sore but all in all a lot better than I would have thought.

tell your mom that her scar is a symbol of her courage and she should be proud to have it. Having the scar sure beats the alternative.

-Mara

Cosmetic

Cosmetic

She hates the idea of a scar. I also understand that there are other ways to do valve replacement which are minimally invasive. Minimally invasive valve replacement procedures are reported to be beneficial from a cosmetic and recovery perspective. I'm trying to find out if there are any real options for her due to the fact she has to have two valves (i.e., aortic/tricuspid) repaired/replaced.

P.S. How are you doing Mara?

Crystal

Minimally invasive or minimally effective

Minimally invasive or minimally effective

I've had some skeptical feedback on minimally invasive, though done right in the right hands it may be a real boon. The skinny I get is that it doesn't leave enough room to handle unexpected circumstances and doesn't leave the chest a whole lot less sore, given the increased angle of opening required to operate through a smaller (vertical) incision. Dr. Tomas Martin of Shands said therefore that he found only a small minority of surgeons practicing it at a recent national conference. But each has his/her own perspective on this one, so go for those second, third and fourth opinions!

Peter

I had bypass so this might not hold for valves. I had my surg 3/00 and my bro in-law had the same one a month later. He had short scars on his leg and short chest scar. I had the whole dang leg from ankle to upper thigh sliced plus chest from neck to bottom of ribs. We had the same surgery. Go figure. Perhaps depends on the surgeon. In any case, I'll keep my scar for what it signifies to me every single day. God bless

My husband Joe has had three open heart surgeries, two through the sternum, one for aortic valve, the other for mitral valve, the third surgery was a mitral redo and that was done through the side, minimally invasive, or port access. Of the three, the minimally invasive was BY FAR, the easiest recovery, less pain etc. He is about 6 weeks post-op and has no pain in the chest area, a few twinges in the back, because the side incision cuts through some of the back muscles. Surgeon was very pleased with his view of the atrium, but the redo was a repair instead of another valve replacement.

I think Cleveland Clinic does many, many port access surgeries. They might not do them for both valves at one time though.

Joe's scars are multitudinous, (because in addition to the heart surgeries, he has also had 2 lung surgeries and a pacemaker implant) but after time they are barely visible. We consider them his badges of courage.

Crystal

Crystal

I am doing fine. My incision is looking good. I still have soft tissue pain.

tell your mom not to worry about the scar. These docs do some fancy sewing and by the time the scar fades it's barely visible.

Mine is pretty far down my chest so, if I wear a polo shirt with the buttons open you can't really see it. I would have to wear a low v-neck for it to really show. I don't know if this is true for others.
But, i don't care about the scar, because having it beats being sick.

My husband's scar for his bypass curves to one side at the top. His cardiologist once remarked that the surgeons usually did that for women so they could wear a lower v-neck without the scar showing. My surgeon didn't do it for me and I quite wish I had asked for it.

My mother had AVR 30th May this year - scar looked horrible for the first 2 months or so, but now after 3 months you notice it if you look for it. Have heard of a type of new plaster that you wear over your scar (or any scar), that if replaced daily for 10 weeks will minimise scar tissue by upto 70% - ask your pharmacist about them, if they are being marketed in England, they should be freely available in America.

Good luck, and if I can help in anyway just e-mail me

Caroline

You have gotten some good responces to your post. My surgeon did a cut that started at just about the top of my breasts. I had told him that I have some low cut things. The only thing that I wish I had talked to him about is how they close it. He used staples. The top half of my scar is still bumpy on both sides. The bottom has smoothed out.

It kind of goes with the territory, and like it has been said before it sure beats the alternative. I had avr and two bypasses 7-17-01 and have a scar that runs from the top of the breast bone to the bottom. I think that because of the two valves involved they will probably open the chest cavity. Anyway good luck with what ever you decide. We will be looking forward to what happens.

BOOMER

My daughter had a minimially invasive (laporoscopic) gallbladder surgery go seriously wrong precisely because the surgeon couldn't see what he was doing and mistakenly cut the common bile duct instead of the artery for which he was aiming.

Minimally invasive surgeries are great when they go right, which is most of the time, but real bad when they go wrong. Dr. Jim Alexander at the University of Florida, a very senior heart surgeon and personal friend, advised me against it because, if something goes wrong, you will then need to be totally opened up at the worst time to do it. (By the way, he was the one who helped me find the peds surgeon who straightened out the mess my daughter was left in).

Obviously, the minimally invasive approach is well worth considering for cosmetic reasons, especially for ladies (us guys usually get a lot more mileage out of our 'badges of honor'). And, although it generally does not decrease the operative time, and my increase it, it generally does diminish the recovery time and discomfort somewhat.

However, don't think there's no trade-off involved. There does seem to be an increased risk of mistakes being made, as well as complications for dealing with anything that goes wrong.

If, after deliberation, your mother does decide to get the big scar, all is not lost. After only 3 months, my scars have greatly diminished and, just recently, I recieved an injection from a skin doctor (cortisone or steroid, I'm not sure which) that has pretty much reduced the only part on the lower end that was elevated and had not returned to a flush level with the rest of my chest. Also, there are various products on the market to improve scar healing and reduction of appearance, such as Mederma ointment or special silicon gel packs.

Hope this helps.

Crysta,
I had MVR in October of last year.... my incision is small, only about four inches from bottom of sternum up. My surgeon told me at the time of surgery that the incision may be longer, depending on the shape my heart was in. But, with him being a very skilled surgeon (can't tell I LOVE this guy lol) I am able to wear low-cut dresses and tank tops without a visible scar.

As for healing... I really didn't have any problem with the incision itself, even though I have broken two wires that are in place to hold my sternum together. The site was numb for a long time, a blessing really.

Good luck to your mother.

Take care,
Zazzy

Horizontal Scar

Horizontal Scar

I can't believe that Janie didn't remember that I'm the one with the horizontal scar - a fellow Texan! Janie, that's not Old Timer's Disease kicking in, is it? I seem to have it often, and I'm not yet 40!

Anyway, my scar is horizontal so it doesn't show in clothes, except this one bathing suit that I tried on this year, and decided against for that reason. It healed pretty well except for a few bumps right in the middle, which seem to be getting better in time. I'd recommend it for all females because the surgeon said that it was just as easy to do the surgery with this scar as the other. The only problem was that the pillow for coughing didn't work. Since my outer layer was cut horizontally, and my inner layers were cut vertically, hugging the pillow in any direction stressed one of the cuts. However, my skin was (and is in spots) pretty numb so I didn't have that much pain.

SCARy

SCARy

Hi ya
The scar thing.... that is something. I have had 4. Mine do curve at the top, thanks for whoever solved THAT mystery. I never knew! The fourth one, was under the left breast, around the side and up the back by the shoulder blade. I'll take the sternal any day. Janie, was that me y ou were thinking of??

I guess if she is worrying about the scar, she is past worrying about the REALLY BIG stuff, and THAT is a good thing.

I was eight years old when I had my first bypass over thrity years ago and I am proud of my scar. It proves what I had to go through to be here and now. And on my new surgery, the surgeon will cut on the same incision. So there won't be much of a difference. So you should not care how the incision looks after it heals, just be proud that surgery can be done to proling you life. You will do just fine.

Janie
As you MAY recall, my first THREE heart surgeries were done through the sternum, with a vertical scar. Add that to the one under my breast (incision ala slingblade), and the gall bladder scars. Throw in a few drainage tubes and VOILA! You have ME, one in a million!

Scars again!

Scars again!

After 3 years, my scar looks pretty good. Just a few bumps in the middle. However, about 3 days ago, I noticed a scab in the middle of one of the bumpy places, and I don't remember irritating it. It's a little red and puffy.

My mother told me once about her father who had his appendix removed, and several years later, he had swelling on the incision. Went to the doctor, and low and behold, they pulled out several inches of suture thread! He died in 1966 though, so this was a long time ago.

I seem to remember my surgeon telling me that my suture material was the dissolving kind. It was all under the skin, so I never saw what it looked like.

Any ideas?

I had a few clear string like threads that were noticiable....very temepted to pull them off but did no dare. They fell off eventually. This was within weeks of surgery though.

Hummmm, after three years?? Not sure what that could be Lisa. Are you expereinceing any pain? Maybe a wire pop?

Keep us posted,

crystal,
a cardiologist friend of ours told us about this guy who needed open heart surgey. he was extremely vain and worried about how his scar would look. he has no hair on his chest and the scar was a big concern for him. they spent 3 weeks looking into plastic surgeons. he had a plastics guy close him and now there is barely a visible scar, according to our friend.
hope this helps.
-sylvia

Latest posts

Back