valve for runners?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was an ideal candidate for the ross procedure and my surgeon did recommend ross over tissue because of my active lifestyle. No regrets.
Marty, meet a tissue marathoner.

Tinker( I hope you won't mind me using your first name) Indeed you are my first "tissue" marathoner. You had the ross didn't you? That means you have a tissue pulmonary valve( your own) in the aortic position and a cadaver valve in the pulmonary position. Congratulations! When I had my surgery I told my surgeon I heard tissue valves were lasting longer perhaps 8, 10 years.

He said that may be true; but he also said he has had a couple back on his table in less than two years. That decided me for mechanical and now 12 years later I believe the right decision. I don't run any marathons but I do give that treadmill hell 3 times a week with 3 13- 14 minute miles!.

Marty, The valves are opposite. My pulmonary valve was moved into the aortic slot and a cadaver valve was used to replace the pulmonary. The cadaver valve in the pulmonary slot will last longer since the pulmonary valve does not get the wear-n-tear of the aortic.
I had no complications or secondary problems with the root or aorta that would have ruled out the ross.
For me, the choice was purely based on personal experience. My mother had AVR 10 yrs earlier and died on the table during the third revision on her St. Jude. She also had a hell of a time trying to regulate her coumadin and insulin. I did not want to go there so I followed my surgeons proposal and went with the ross.

Hi Tom,
My surgeon said I would probably have to have another valve put in either way I went. Mechanical or tissue. I was 39 when I got my AVR. Mech. valves do have a life expectancy, as do tissue valves. My decision was for tissue, with the understanding that in the next 20 years (poss tissue valve life expectancy) new advances in surgery and valves would allow me a non-invasive (sternotomy) AVR option. I actually went against what my cardiologist reccomended. That was hard. But, like you and others I am glad with my choice.
I pray that we all get a best-choice next time around.
God Bless!

Successful surgery

Successful surgery

Hey everyone, I received a Carbomedics Mechanical 23mm on Monday morning. Surgery lasted just 2 hours. Within 48 hours I was walking everywhere they would let me. Today I am free to go home but I have this very strange deep rooted physical feeling that my body just took a serious beating, so I decided on staying one more day.
Thanks again everyone for all of your help, support, advice, PM's, and camaraderie. Going into this with the knowledge everyone here shared made things much easier.

Tom

Good to hear I am 40 having AVR on Feb 4th. I decided on mechanical for all the reasons stated above. One thing I will mention is that when I was deciding on whether I wanted to have the surgery now or wait I came upon an inspirational article.
It was in Runners World magazine and it was about a man in his late 60's early 70's a triathlete that had an AVR and ten months later ran an ironman. Obviously not the norm but still something to positive to thing about.
All the best
Nick

My decision to chose a mechanical valve nine years ago was mostly to reduce the possiblility of repeat surgeries. At the time I was more concerned about staying alive, not any future athletic endeavors.

As a result of my doctor's encouragement to do more aerobic exercise, I did my first triathlon three years later at age 50.

I did my first half marathon last year at age 55.

I'm slow, but I'm still out there.

Mark

That's fantastic, Mark. I think most of the credit goes for just getting out there!

Tom, congratulations on the "easy" surgery. ;) I hope the rest of your recovery goes just as smoothly for you.

Great to hear everything went well. That "beat-up" feeling will stick around for a bit (I swear I still get it some days 2.5 years later, actually), but that's just part of the healing.

In not too long, we'll be hearing about your workout progression; start easy, of course, but as Mark well proves, all us valvers are capable of lots when we listen to our bodies and workout intelligently.

yes, that hit by a freight train feeling...you'll remember it forever. Do everything you need to do for recovery, sleep a lot, eat, breathing exercizes, walk. You will be ready for a workout some enough, but remember too much too soon just causes big setbacks.
Congrats on making to our side of the mountain!

Because of your age, you really want to go with a mechanical valve. The surgeon gave me a choice, but the bottom line was due to the longevity of the valves, in reality there really was no choice to make. I like you was 40 years old, and my St Jude Mechanical has not had any problems for 10 years now. I have run 6 full marathons, 1 half-marathon, and more road races then I can count. Once your warfrin is stabalized, you will do fine.

2 hour surgery!? I don't know how that is possible. Mine took close to 9. Of course, I had a tricky aortic graft too.

I fussed over the valve choice quite a bit but ultimately came to the conclusion that my otherwise excellent health and long life expectancy dictated a mechanical valve even at 62 years of age. At your age of 40, few surgeons advocate tissue, although some do. I reviewed all the studies on this matter and concluded age is not the right variable. General health (co-morbidity) is a better determinant.

I've found my valve to not be very noisy and Coumadin to be virtually trouble-free so far (only 3 months). My recovery has been good but uneven. I expected it to be a bit faster but, as your intuition told you, your body has just taken a beating and needs time to heal as well as exercise.

Best to you for a safe recovery,

Bill

Latest posts

Back