Valve Disease and Stimulant Use

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The antidepressants are serotonin re uptake inhibitors which, means they work on brain chemicals not the body's metabolism like the other drugs.My cardiologist told me that since I have to take anti-histamines and decongestants daily year round and not only have two mechanical valvesbut also still have a prolapsed mitral valve that if taking a decongestant did not increase my BPand or heart rate too terribly much I
I was pretty safe becasue the extra wear created by an increased heart rate was the most damaging thing for an already damaged valve.

Lettitia

I've wondered if my use of ephedrine might have caused my mitral valve to fail. I used it regulary when I was powerlifting/weight lifting. not an enormous amount, maybe 2 sudafed before every workout, every other day.

My cardio says that my condition is inherited... But he doesnt say what brought him to that conclusion.. Makes you wonder.

Hi, have you researched this on the net at all? My cardio dismissed my theory too until I just ended up going on about it so much he looked into it himself, and then, he believed it was the drug that had done this. So, doing your own research is the best way to find out tbh.

Lynn

Latest posts

Back