Valve choice in a young man of 33 years old

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chose a St Jude mechanical valve when I had my surgery eight years ago at age 47. The main factor in my decision was to avoid future surgeries in the future. I continue to lead a very active lifestyle (I do triathlons). The only time Coumadin has been an issue has been during colonoscopies or dental procedures when I needed to do a Lovenox bridge.
I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself.
Good luck,
Mark

Thanks you very much for tell me your experience. One cuestion that is important for me. Do you have any problem with the valve noise?

Hellow and welcome to this wonderful website,

This was the hardest time for me too before my surgery. Do a good research based on real facts and share what you read with your surgeon and/or cardio.

Once you make a decision, things will get easier. Good luck.

Thank you very much Eva

Cani33,

After being opened up for the OHS the doctors discovered that I had a membrane blocking a normal aortic valve , so all they had to do was cut it out. So I can?t tell you if I can hear the valve or not, I think that has a lot to do with your size anyway.

I did do some research before the surgery ( I was told I would need a replacement valve) I was sold on the ON-X in the hopes of not having to check my INR levels in the future. (I?m a real sissy about needles) There is no guarantee that the on-x will ever be approved for use with out warfarin , but I was willing to gamble it. It also helped that my surgeon recommended it. At any rate, I feel for your position, rest assured after this is behind you things only get better, I?m two months post op and can walk further now than before the operation, and I don?t have to have doctors scaring me over my ?bicuspid? valve anymore.

Have a nice night ,
Dave

Thank you David, and do you now somethig about the ATS valves?

From your "bio" you are a Cardiologist. You know what you are facing and the pros and cons of the valve choices and other procedures. Sometimes, we get too close to the problems and "can't see the forest because all the trees get in the way". Do your homework...make your decision....and don't look back. Remember that you are walking the path that many have walked, successfully, before you. Welcome to this forum and I hope you have an uneventful surgery and fast recovery.

Personaly, I kinda like the mechanical valves. :D:D

Thank you very much Dick! I suppouse I will choose the mechanical valve.

Latest posts

Back