Update regarding pacemaker

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mb

Hello all!

I thought I wouold drop a line to update everyone with Wayne's progress.

He was monitored with a Holter monitor, due to inability to perform excercise that was meaningful. His heart rate goes from 40 to 208 in a given day. Moderate exertion causes the high heart rate. When the rate is low, he has "pauses". He is in CHF, has a severely leaking tricuspid valve, two St. Jude mechanicals, and is in a-fib. His EF is 40% menaing he has LVD. His local cardio recommended a pacemaker, his Boston cardio, ditto. And of course his PCP agrees. We saw a local electrophysiologist a week and a half ago. We were in his office, about three minutes, when he got on the phone and called an electrophysiologist in Boston. Last Tuesday we went to see the new guy in Boston. He said that Wayne was not a candidate for catheter based pulmonary vein ablation, as it was too risky. He recommended a pacemaker as well. I do not have the impression that he needs it urgently however. Wayne is very reluctant, although is beginning to understand that it is ineveitable. He is 55, and thinks he is too young to go on battery.

The interesting thing was that the Boston electro said that about 5% of valvers have a pacemaker. I didn't think that many folks on this board had them.

So, I've got to call the Boston cardio this week. He is scheduled to do another echo on Wayne mid-July, and will probably want to wait till then to schedule the pacemaker insertion. He had told us that some folks do not tolerate a pacemaker well, so that they would insert it in the first step, see how he does, and then ablate the AV node for permanent pacing at a later date. This is probably due to the failed tricuspid valve. By the way, the surgical report said there was trace regurgitation in October, and then by April it is severely leaking. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Well, the above is the long and the short of it.......seems like the other side of the mountain sometimes has some hills and dales!

Marybeth

hi marybeth!
i've been thinking about you and wayne a lot. i'm so sorry you both have to go through this. my heart goes out to you.
still, i find you here holding others' hands and helping and being so positive... how do you do it???
i guess knowing that the problem is treatable is a good thing, right? please be sure to let us know when wayne goes for his echo in july.
about the other matter, the tricuspid valve, i really can't help. the only similar experience we had was when my dad went in for a cath to check a stent that seemed to be failing. there was nothing wrong with his av, maybe it had a mild leak. after his cath, they added another stent to fix the first one which had "buckled". a few months later my dad became out of breath and his ankles started swelling. they did an echo and then another cath only to find that the av was leaking severely. my mom and i think they may have damaged it while doing all the caths and stents. so, he went in for a vr and had a double bypass while they were in there. thank God he's fine, 3 yrs and counting.
joey also became symptomatic very quickly. it all happened in a matter of 3-6 months. but his was progressive, not minimal one day and severe the next.
i hope someone else can help more.
in the meantime, you are in our thoughts and prayers.
wishing you all the best, sylvia

Hi Marybeth-

Sounds like you have some really good people working on Wayne's heart. I'm sure they'll do the right thing for him. It's terrible to have these things go on and on, but what they're telling you is that it's fixable.

The echo should tell a lot.

I've been thinking of you both a lot. Give our best to Wayne.

Dear Marybeth - so sorry Wayne is having these problems, but I think any Boston outfit is very good - so much available there. You are both in my prayers and I pray the hills and bumps will smooth out for you soon. Love to you both. God bless

DearSylvia and Nancy:

I should have known you two would be the first to reply to my post! You both have a lot on your plates, yet take the time to help out others! Thank you!

It is only through the grace of God that we are able to handle what comes our way. Like this forum. Somehow, during my searches for information, I came across this link, and here found so many folks in the same position. It has been a God send for me. So many small details here that one doesn't find elsewhere. Knowing that something is "normal" in recovery takes the worry out of it. I think that He, in His wisdom, brought me here.

Wayne seems to be retaining more fluid over the past week or so, but he has increased the dieretic, and that seems to take care of it. July can't come fast enough!

Nancy and Sylvia, thank you for your kindness. Please give both "Joe's" our very best.

Marybeth

Hensylee:

Your post must have gone on as I was writing! You, good lady, are the guardian angel of the site! Always watching over us, with kind words, at just the right time! Thank you.

Marybeth

Marybeth-

I just have the feeling that you and Wayne WILL get through this and it will be OK, just might take a little time, but the docs will do right by Wayne. They sound like they know what they're doing.

Please keep a close eye on his CHF and report it to the doc.

Latest posts

Back