Update on hubby's irregular HB

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrienne

A few months ago I mentioned that my husband was having irregular heartbeats. Well, he had a Holter monitor, and he just saw his doctor and got a copy of the results. The conclusion of the report says: Sinus arrhythmia with episodes of essentially nocturnal bradycardia and a pause of 2.1 seconds. No other significant arrhythmia.

The report says that he is in bradycardia 33% of the time (below 60 bpm). However, seeing that he works out a lot, even before he started getting this arrhythmia, he often had a HR of 55 bpm when lying down, so I am more worried about the times it goes down to 40 bpm.

His doctor was not too worried, but gave him a referral to a cardiologist. My husband told the doctor he works out very hard at the YMCA both at the gym and in the pool. The doctor said maybe he should be more moderate for now, but my husband told me he?s going to continue doing what he?s been doing for now and then see what the cardiologist says. Actually, he doesn?t seem to get the irregular heartbeat when he is working out, but rather when he is quiet.

Anyhow, I will keep all of you posted after he sees the cardiologist (he has to call tomorrow morning for an appointment).

Hope all goes well with the cardio, Adrienne and that this turns out to be a benign problem or an easy fix. I know how you must worry about him working out- Dick was taking bike rides up until his surgery and I use to sit home and pray for his return.:eek:

Adrienne,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's heart issues. I hope that he gets his appointment soon so you can get some answers to the many questions and concerns that you must have.

Sending you positive thoughts!

Susie

I always thought of "sinus" as a good thing relative to the heart, I guess because "sinus rhythm" is that regular heart beat that has alluded my mom for most of her adult life. Pairing "sinus" with "arrhythmia" made me curious so I looked it up and I thought it might make you feel better to see the definition:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9745

My husband and his dad (both vigorous workout-aholics) and the two adult athletes next door always have heartrates in the high 30's to low 40's. Even mine has been known to be bradycardic when I've been in good shape (forever ago!). It sounds like your doctor is being very thorough in sending your husband to a cardiologist. I hope there's no cause for concern.

All the best,

I've had those since about 1980. They never seemed to do me any harm and talk about hard workouts, back in the 80s and early 90s I was doing some of the toughest track and field intervals you could imagine.

The cause is caffeine for the most part. Also stimulant drugs like sudafed. Some say alcohol but I've never experienced any from that. Or maybe I had enough booze that I couldn't feel it anyway.

Have him cut out all coffee, tea and soft drinks that may contain caffeine. There are also some candy bars that are laced with caffeine but chocolate itself is not the culprit. Stay away from over the counter allergy medicines if possible. It'll take a few days to leach it all out of his system but within a week the missed beats should go away. If not, well then seeing that cardiologist is imperative.

PJmomrunner, thanks for the link. However, it doesn't mention bradyarrhthmia, so I think my husband's case is a bit different.

SummoRunner: My husband's doctor mentioned that sometimes caffeine and alcohol could cause it. One time I mentioned caffeine, and my husband said "coffee is life". Actually, he doesn't drink a lot, but missing his café au lait (caffelatte) in the morning would be worse than dying!!! I know, I have a stubborn husband.:rolleyes: I have to admit, I feel the same way about my morning coffee!!

Anyhow, whenever he finally sees the cardiologist, I will let you all know what he says.

To everyone else who replied: Thanks for your concern.

Good luck, hope everything goes well for you husband, best wishes Paula

Morning coffee is yukky.....:) ....I prefer hot chocolate diluted with milk and a bit of decaf coffee mixed in.
Most of my "strange" heartbeats are when I am lying down, they are supposed to be benign, but they are scary nonetheless. They are more frequent when I am stressed, tired, or too active during the day.

Reactions: Amy

Latest posts

Back