update on bobm193

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylviayasgur

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hi everyone!
i just called beth israel and the nurse told me that although they were not allowed to release any info regarding bob's condition, he had come through the surgery well. ( i mentioned to her that my husband was a patient of dr. stelzer's and that he had the surgery almost a year ago as well). she said that he is stable and doing well.
hopefully he will be posting soon. thought you'd like to know..
stay well, sylvia

GREAT! Congratulations Bob. We want a full report when you're able.

Onward and upward, full speed ahead and all that stuff.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your well wishes and prayers, i appreciate them very much. Yes i am ok, just recupperating now. Iwill post more info soon but for now i came through it well. Dr Stelzer and the staff at the hospital is great. I am going to my Cardiologist this Tuesday and will hopefully get off some of the meds that are making me sick. For now i am feeling better every day and trying to stay out of A-Fib. Other wise i am doing real well.

Thanks again to all and i will post more soon,

Bob M.

Hi Bob-

So nice to see your post and that you're doing well and are home. Each day will be better than the one before.

Congratulations!

hi bob!
i'm so glad all went well. isn't that a great team, dr. stelzers?
did you have a homograft or did you go for the synergraft? please try and bepatient withthe recovery; joey 's was very slow, but he progressed a little with each new day. i remember it took him a long time until he really felt good.
please let us know how you're doing when you feel better.
all the best, sylvia

Hi,

I had the homograft. It wasn't from Cryolife, all the stuff was coming out about them and i called the FDA on the way in for pre-admission testing. Luckily he had some other valves and used one of them. It made me feel a bit better to know that.

My problem now is that i am back in A-Fib, I was in it in the hospital for a few hours. The Amioterone was put back to the higher level which helps. Also, i am on Cumeden for now.

I know others had this problem, did it get worked out and how long did it take? Did Joey have this problem, Dr. Stelzer said it happens after the Ross Procedure alot. He is not worried yet.

Well i am more tired due the A-Fib so i slept alot today. I'll post more when i feel more up to it.

Thanks,

Bob M

hi bob!
are you taking amiodarone? joey had been in and out of afib prior to his surgery and took betapace (sotolol) for this as a preventative measure and it worked....... until after surgery. it no longer worked to get rid of his afib or keep them away. that is when he decided to do the amio.... it's a very strong drug and has made joey's eyes worse, also, he needs to be monitored because he takes thyroid meds too and amio affects that.
make a long story short, he has been out of afib for a very long time (give it a few days if you just started it), but he is going to see his cardio soon to discuss coming off of it. we are both nervous about that.
joey also has a homograft (dr. stelzer said that he felt this was "the tried and true " method and preferred this to the synergraft).
i'm glad the worst is behind you. please be patient with the recovery; sometimes it is slower in some folks.
please feel free to call us anytime (do you still have our number?).
hope this post finds you feeling well and getting some rest.
be well, sylvia

I was on amiodarone for a month after surgery because of a-fib. I know enough Latin and Greek to understand some of the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR), and I thoroughly scared myself reading the description of the side effects of this drug. I got myself a new cardiologist, in part because he put me on this drug, and in part because he didn't tell me about the side effects, and specifically not about its side effect of doubling the effectiveness of coumadin.
Before the end of the month that I was on amiodarone, it stopped working. I started on magnesium, which works just as well, has no side effects, and is much cheaper. I get mine at GNC, and take 500 mg a day.
I have very little a-fib any more, mainly because my body is building back up after being so run down before surgery. Be sure to get in cardiac rehab, and to do plenty of regular walking thereafter.

Hi everyone,

The Cardiologist and the Sugeon think i need to get out of A-Fib as soon as possible. I am scheduled for a TEE and Electro Cardio Conversion, which is shocking your heart back to normal rythim. It is Monday unless i come out of A-Fib before that.

At this point, 3 weeks post op, i just want to get this all behind me so i am anxious to get out of A-Fib.

Have others had this problem? I know A-Fib is common with the ross procedure but have others needed to be shocked or did drugs like Amioterone work?

I would like to hear other experiences with this so let me know.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi all,

I dont think i posted about my A-fib and the cardiovertion shock. Well it was unusual, they couldnt shock me out of it. They bought in a electrophysist (i think) that specializes in the electrical system of the heart. the anistesiologis came back and put me to sleep again and he shocked me with a different machine with 6 pads on my chest and back, at high voltage the max times he could. I ended up having to stay in the hospital 2 days while they monitored me.

thankfully it worked and i am out of it and trying to stay out of it. The Dr. told me that once you get past 2-3 months the chance of going back in to A-Fib is small.

So i am feeling so much better all of a sudden, now that i have a normal heart beat again. There all still some aches and pains and the night is so hard. I just cant sleep - i think its a side effect of the Amioterone and or Cumaden but i can deal with that. I finally feel that i am getting better and will be back to normal soon.

I hope all of you are doing well,

Bob

Hi Bob,
I was afib for one month after surgery and on Amiodarone. It went away and has never come back. I did also go through the cardiovert, but it didn't work. I also had a homograft, so am off Amiodarone, and off coumadin. Good luck with your situation, I am optimistic.

Everyone,

Thanks for all your support. Monday will be 2 weeks with no more A-Fib!

It is amazing how much better i feel now. At this rate i will be back to normal in no time. I see the cardio in a week and hope to discuss cutting meds like Cumaden and Amioterone.

Bye for now,
Bob

Hi Bob...So glad you're on the right road, now....Tyce is still on Amiodarone, hopefully not for too much longer. It's so great to hear good news.

Evelyn

hi bob!
so glad to hear you are doing so well. i just read a whole thread on amiodarone and am about to email it to joey. althought the stuff does the job, i think it's time we push to have joey taken off it.
please keep us posted and wishing you a continued easy recovery.
stay well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back