Upcoming Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with your surgery William!

You got this!

Please give us an update as to how your recovery is coming along, once you feel good enough to do so.

World Wide Web? Heck, the printing press hadn't even been invented yet. :ROFLMAO:
Gimme a break, of course the printing press had been invented........how else would my surgeon have had a copy of "Open Heart Surgery - 101" to refer to. It was 30+ years before "you've got mail" and WWW. I sure wish I could have had a Heart Valve Replacement forum back then......would have made life a lot less confusing. :confused:

Was the World Wide Web even a thing?
not by a long shot, WWW was 1989 at CERN, but of course relied on the TCP/IP

But the internet is NOT the same as WWW ...

https://www.usg.edu/galileo/skills/unit07/internet07_02.phtml
January 1, 1983 is considered the official birthday of the Internet. Prior to this, the various computer networks did not have a standard way to communicate with each other. A new communications protocol was established called Transfer Control Protocol/Internetwork Protocol (TCP/IP). This allowed different kinds of computers on different networks to "talk" to each other. ARPANET and the Defense Data Network officially changed to the TCP/IP standard on January 1, 1983, hence the birth of the Internet. All networks could now be connected by a universal language.​

Email technically came along a bit before that in 1971 with SMTP (still used) coming in in 1980

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol
Various forms of one-to-one electronic messaging were used in the 1960s. Users communicated using systems developed for specific mainframe computers. As more computers were interconnected, especially in the U.S. Government's ARPANET, standards were developed to permit exchange of messages between different operating systems. SMTP grew out of these standards developed during the 1970s.​
Mail on the ARPANET traces its roots to 1971: the Mail Box Protocol, which was not implemented,[1] but is discussed in RFC 196; and the SNDMSG program, which Ray Tomlinson of BBN adapted that year to send messages across two computers on the ARPANET.[2][3][4] A further proposal for a Mail Protocol was made in RFC 524 in June 1973,[5] which was not implemented.[6]
The use of the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) for "network mail" on the ARPANET was proposed in RFC 469 in March 1973.[7] Through RFC 561, RFC 680, RFC 724, and finally RFC 733 in November 1977, a standardized framework for "electronic mail" using FTP mail servers on was developed.​

Gimme a break, of course the printing press had been invented........how else would my surgeon have had a copy of "Open Heart Surgery - 101" to refer to.

its possible that he used something hand written in a Scriptorium.

1691902693761.png

:-D

I sure wish I could have had a Heart Valve Replacement forum back then......would have made life a lot less confusing. :confused:

perhaps, but based on what I see on Facebook groups and Reddit I'm not so sure. This place (VR) seems to have benefited from careful but strict curation that developed a greater sense of community and evidence based (nearly academic) rigor.

I'll show myself out...

Latest posts

Back