Upcoming surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, sylvia

thanks, sylvia

Thanks Sylvia, I'll check it out. Barbara

Barbara, so nice to hear you're back and all is well.

The sternum movement is normal. You won't hurt anything, as long as you follow the doctors instructions regarding lifting objects. That grinding feeling can occur for quite a while, so don't be alarmed if you still have a little bit of it in a couple of weeks.

Depression is a toughy, but it is very common post-op. Your body has just experienced some major trauma and although the physical part is the most obvious, remember that your emotions and mental state have also been floored.

It takes a while for all the drugs, stresses and trauma to work their way out of the system. Think of it as a pendulum. When you swing it, it goes side to side and takes a while to settle back into a normal resting state. That is what your body is going through right now.

Take things day-by-day. Some days you will feel wonderful - other days you will want to cry all day long. The key is to remember that each day, you are healing. Tomorrow is a new day, so today's depressive state doesn't have to last.

I know I suffered from depression for a long period prior to surgery and during my recovery. It can be very debilitating, but if you do not have a propensity to suffer with it, just try to relax and adjust your expectations. It takes a long time to recover.

Sometimes we feel good for a week and then hit a wall where we feel really tired and crappy for a few days. That's all part of recovery. As long as you can see it for what it is and try to adjust your expectations accordingly, you should fare well.

I'm glad you came through everything with such a great attitude. It was scary, but you did it!
Kev

Hi Kev!

Hi Kev!

Nice to hear from you again Kevin! Thanks for your words of encouragement. I think my problem is partly due to BOREDOM! I can't do what I want to do. TV doesn't interest me. Can't concentrate on a book for very long. Can't drive anywhere! ARGH! Never thought I'd like to go back to work...really I don't...I'd just like to be able to do some Christmas shopping or something. Thank goodness for Amazon.com.
Thanks again, Barbara

Boredom

Boredom

Hi, Janie,
Yes, tomorrow I go to rehab for the first time. I'm really looking forward to it. Don't really know what to expect, but it's got to be better than sitting around the house all day.
I also saw my doctor (family doctor) this past Saturday and he gave me a prescription for Paxil which hopefully will help with my depression.
Thanks for your reply.
Barbara

Hi Barbara
Glad that you are starting rehab..I started 2 weeks ago..2 hours..3X a week.They have me doing the treadmill 15 min @1.8 per hr. I also do the Nu-step (the greatest machine..sort of a sit down step machine with arm movement) for 1/2 hour. I walk the inside track 4X and yesterday started on the various weight machines and FGriday I will start working out in the swimming pool.If your rehab is anything loke mine..you will find that you are no longer bored...but very tired:) I have to build up to things very slowly..as I also have Fibromyaglgia and my muscles get very sore afterwards. The only thing that I hate is that I have to be at rehab at (;30 am and it takes me 40min to 1 hour to get there and I am not a morning person!!Now if it would start at noon..well..that would be much better..
It will take me a long time to get into some kind of shape as I really was able to do very little for over a year before surgery...waliking was a horror..50-75 feet and I was out of breath with chest pain..so I have a lot of work ahead of me. You have no idea how wonderful it is to be able to walk arround the track twice and not be out of breath..before I couldn't even make it arround once.O'm sure that you will find rehab a big help to you and you will bounce back quickly..you are young (I am 70) and that will be a big help to you both Physically and mentally. By the way..we are valve mates I also have a St Jude Toronto Porcine Valve.
Joan

Latest posts

Back