Tyce-----THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVELYN

Hi All

Thought I'd update you all on Tyce's latest. As many of you have read, he got out of the hospital about the middle of April from what they "think" was cellulitis of his l. elbow. Well, they also thought it could be gout, but nothing was ever cast in stone.

Went to the gp, she kept him on the augmentin for another week. Elbow still looked red, hard knot at the end. Went back to the gp and she now wants to have the elbow aspirated, so on monday we go to the ortho to have that done. She said, and I agree, aspiration is much better than a possible surgery where he would have to go off coumadin. Tyce says it doesn't hurt any more, he has total flexion, but it's still very red (about the size of a quarter) definitely warm, and he has a lump there.......

Will keep you all posted.....anybody want to make any bets as to what it is????

Ev

I don't know Ev, my foot had what they thought was a hematoma in it and they thought they'd have to drain it, but it resolved and is gone now after all the antibiotics I was on.

I'm watching this with high interest.

Evelyn, we're offering our prayers for Tyce and for a good outcome of whatever this is. As far as what it is, I wouldn't have a clue. Best wishes.

Could possibly be gout, Evelyn. Joe had it in his toes, but he also had it in his shoulder once. I never knew it could go anywhere but the feet, but it can. I think he would be in bad pain, though, if it were gout.

I'm glad he is having it aspirated, for culturing I hope. Just don't like the sound of red, hard and hot. Sounds more like infection.

Thanks, all....I'll definitely keep you all posted. I agree, Nancy, sounds like an infection to me, too.....we shall see.

Ev

I have an older friend who developed a terrible case of gout in her index finger and it had awful oozing knobs on it. It was really ghastly to see. When she finally went to a hand surgeon, he was pretty pessimistic that she'd even keep the finger. But it did get some better, though still requiring some surgery, and it will not completely recover. Her uric (sp?) acid was all out of whack because of the many meds she was on for many other health issues, and that's what the doctor thought caused the gout.

BTW - Cherries, including canned bing, are supposed to provide some pretty immediate relief for the pain of gout.

I hope things get better soon for your husband, Evelyn.

Thanks, Susan and Hens.....Tyce is on hctz, which may be a problem with"gout" if it is gout at all. Our cardio already said that that could be changed if it comes up gout. Thanks for the bing cherry info.....he's not in any pain, but I'll definitely buy a few cans before the real stuff comes on the market.

ev

EVELYN said:
Thanks, Susan and Hens.....Tyce is on hctz, which may be a problem with"gout" if it is gout at all. Our cardio already said that that could be changed if it comes up gout. Thanks for the bing cherry info.....he's not in any pain, but I'll definitely buy a few cans before the real stuff comes on the market.

ev

I have had a few flare-ups of what I considered might be gout, but I always thought they were linked to the cherry pie I had eaten!:eek:
I hope he feels better soon.:)

Evelyn,

Whatever it is, sure hope things go well on Monday with the aspiration.... Thoughts/prayers coming to you and Tyce.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"These hands are meant to hold" ... All-American Rejects ... 'Move Along'

hi evelyn,
i'm sorry i didn't see your post about tyce since i haven't been on for some time (uncle died and had to travel to funeral in curacao, then had to pack up and pick up our youngest daughter at college, then went on vacation with both girls and joey, now still dealing with my aging inlaws, particularly my f.i.l.).

my dad had a swollen, hot elbow this past december while we were all away in aruba. fortunately a friend of ours is an orthopedist, asked if he took coumadin, and told him to use compresses ( i can't remember if he was using cold and was told to use warm or the reverse), but the swelling went down. our friend even said he might have to drain some fluid from the elbow, but this wasn't necessary. he was also taking antibiotics for fear of it being a staph infection. it finally disappeared, but about two weeks ago, my dad's finger became swollen. his cardio put him on antibiotics.
i thought it might be gout ( i learned from my f.i.l.'s health that gout can appear in your hands and other places besides the toes).

it is so frightening when these mysterious things pop up in these patients.
hope tyce is all well.
-sylvia

Hi Syl

Glad to hear about your vacation.....it makes all the difficult things easier to deal with. Tyce is fine and back to normal....it was an infected bursar sac....who knows from where or why, but luckily he's back to being fine.

Glad to hear from you!!!

Evelyn

Latest posts

Back