Trouble with INRatio Machine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwsp768

It seems that every time I put a large drop of blood on the green dot, it runs everywhere when it should stay on the green dot and I then get a error message. The only time I have gotten a good reading was the first day that the nurse talked me through a test and the other time was at the doctors office when we used some of the blood they drew. It seems as though the blood from a finger stick comes out like water with me. Anyone with this machine have any suggestions as to how to get a good test.

What I do to test.

What I do to test.

Hi there and I can only tell you what works for me. I only use my middle and ring fingers for testing. I also follow the instructions as to where to poke as some spots are better than others!(read your booklet as it contains great info and will help greatly) I also use a spring loaded pen whick I love and works excellent. I gauge it on 4. I am right handed so I normaly use my left hand to test. I wash my hands in warm water for about 20 seconds or so. In the meantime I have opened my strip and inserted into the machine so it is ready for the sample once my hands are clean. I dry my hands and touch only the pen for the draw as to not contaminate anything. I poke my finger then turn it down and gently (gently is the key word here) squeeze it a little as to milk it a bit. GENTLY! Get a good hanging drop of blood and let it fall right on the green dot. Dont push or squeeze too much...that might be why you are getting so much at once. Practice makes perfect and this is so easy to use. Once you get the hang of it you will see that this is your new best friend. Wishing you all the best!:)

You can also wipe off the drop if it is too big. Use a second, smaller drop. Have the tester all ready to go when you wipe it off so the weight is not too long.

It may say not to do this in your book but I ran a study at my clinic and did this on 500 people and there was no difference in the readings. So I know that it works.

Ask them to send some capillary tubes along with your test strips. I'm hoping Hemosense can concave the well more so that blood goes into it instead of all around it.

INRation Machine

INRation Machine

Yes it would help if the well was deeper. As it is now when I place the drop of blood on the dot, it migrates down the strip and into the machine. Also may try the two fingers on the right hand instead of the left, although I can't see why it should make a difference. Will also try warming under warm water, what I have been doing is rubbing the hand on my pants leg to warm it up.

I get a nice hanging drop of blood going and touch it to the well. (green dot) If I see that it's starting to circle the well and not go in, I kind of guide it into the well, or I'll quickly apply another drop of blood. This is done, of course, without actually touching my finger to the strip.

I used to have problems and was using capillary tubes which do work well. However, I have been successful recently without them. I just make sure I only touch the bottom of the blood drop gently to the well. Too much pressure and the drop rolls around the edges. The drop will be drawn up the tube so you don't need to push it. You do need a good sized hanging drop slightly smaller than a small pea.

From the original post, I couldn't tell if the problem was (1) putting too big a drop onto the strip, or (2) the right size drop, but the drop runs to the wrong place.

If the drop is too big, that's easy to fix. Don't warm your hand up so much before sticking your finger, and use a lower setting on the stick pen. But I'm guessing that's not the problem.

When I first started using the INRatio, I had a bit of a problem hitting the green light exactly right. If you just barely miss it, sometimes the drop will just hang around the outside and never flow into the meter properly, resulting in an error. My solution to this problem was to use a bigger drop. In addition to warming my hand under warm water, I pump my fist and shake my hand (sort of like shaking a mercury thermometer) before I stick.

Also, after the stick, my finger was blocking my view of the green dot. Now I hold my head down low and sort of look at the meter from the side, so I can actually see the drop touch down on the green dot. That seems to help, and after a week or so I got the hang of it and had no further problems.

I'm also a proponent of the capillary tube. I draw up 15 ml and squirt it directly into the green dot. Works every time.

warm it

warm it

It seem to me if I take the test strip before opening and place it under my shirt to warm it up . I have no problem with the blood not going in the pool.

Latest posts

Back