Trip to the ER

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

Since my valve replacement 9 months ago, I've been fortunate to have dodged any "bumps in the road." This weekend, though, I ended up in the emergency room for a nose bleed that wouldn't stop. This sounds trivial, but after 6 hours and quite a bit of blood lost, I noticed I was getting light-headed and lethargic. I've had a bug (cold/flu) with a lot of coughing and nose blowing. Apparently, some capillaries ruptured, which is not uncommon from what they told me in the ER. I'm not on Coumadin, but am on aspirin therapy. As far as stopping/slowing blood clotting, I guess it works--maybe a little too well in some circumstances.

The "cure" for a nose bleed that won't stop with all the conventional approaches is no fun at all. They insert a 6-inch long packing that has an internal balloon in it. Once inserted, they pump the balloon up with water so that it totally seals the nasal passage. Then they tell you it has to stay in for two days. This sucks mightily.

What I learned from this is that, even with just aspirin, getting prompt attention for bleeding that won't stop is important. I also found out that, after going through surgery, a trip to the ER sends your blood pressure soaring! They weren't too concerned, and checked it again before I left, and it had come back to near normal.

My sympathy level for those of you who have had significant bumps in the road after surgery has grown. Going to the ER is no fun at all!

--John

Hi John-

Good thing you weren't on Coumadin, it could have been even worse! It was bad enough as it was. But thank goodness, they were able to control the bleeding.

As the wife of a man who takes lots of trips to the ER, I can attest to the fact that it isn't fun at all, and can be pretty nerve-racking and sometimes frightening.

Hopefully, no more trips for you.

It's been a long time since I've had mine packed. Your right, no fun at all. I relate it to as shoving a full size pillow into your nose till it meets your throat. I'm glad it worked out thus far. Try not to lose all that precious blood supply or you'll be back getting a fill up again. :)

I relate it to as shoving a full size pillow into your nose till it meets your throat.

Ross, you are without doubt the master of the medical metaphor :D

John, AKA "NOSTRILDAMUS"

I've been through a lot but THAT procedure description made my skin crawl...
Glad all is well!

John,

Glad to hear you have it under control. It sounds like an irritable procedure to go through. Hopefully you want have to re-live that anytime in the near future!

One thing though; Do ya talk funny with that ballon up ya nose?

Rob

Yikes

Yikes

Well, John, I'm very sorry to hear you had to go through this, but you actually answered some questions I've had lurking in the back of my mind. Namely, how *do* they stop a nosebleed gone wild? Now I know, but like Les said, I found myself squirming while I read it :eek:

I had a bleed about 10 days ago in the middle of the night (also while fighting off a cold) that took me about an hour to get under control. I set a time on the clock for when I would go to the ER, but got it plugged about 10 minutes before. Kind of scary, but it sounds like getting it packed is not the marker of a good day...

Hi John

So glad to hear you're back on track!!! Not the way to spend your weekend, my friend!!!! Enough of that NOSEsense!!!

Evelyn

hi John

hi John

sorry to hear about your trip to the ER ...hope all is well again now ...i often wondered how they would stop a nosebleed too so thanks for doing it for me !
Take care
Scottie

Hey John

Hey John

I hope this is the only bump you run into. Take care of yourself. Peggy

Had one of those when I was 10 - a thousand yrs ago when drs still came to the house. What they stuck up my nose, I thought were sticks and I had to wear them for several days. Lost so much blood they called the family together. So don't mess around with a serious nose bleed - or any other kind of serious bleed. Mine was caused by weakened vessels in nose passage - from using a certain type of nose drops because I had a flu.

Thank goodness you are going to be fine, John. You did exactly the proper thing. God bless

nose bleeds

nose bleeds

My step son gets horrible nose bleeds to this day. I remember taking the kids to Sears Tower. His nose bled from the time we reached the top all the way home. My younger sister used to get them a lot too. Both used to have to get their nose cauterized. They both said it was very painful. I know what a sinus head ache feels like so I can only imagine how that hurt.

Hi John

Hi John

I am so sorry about your trip to ER for nose bleed..Take it easy. We don't want anymore Er's for you:eek: Everytime I hear about someone having a nosebleed..reminds me of my best friend's hubby up here where I live..who is on coumadin..but only has it checked every 4 months by a local PCP..:eek: :eek: :eek: He takes coumadin for something other than open-heart surgery..Well, he got such a nosebleed last summer..he passed out and hit his head:eek: She called 911 and they told him NEVER take Vitamin E.. He was fine after a day or two..Take it easy..BTW..What happened to your AVATOR? Bonnie

Hi John,
I am so sorry to hear about your trip to the Er. Going to the Er is definately not a fun experience, but it is good that you went and had it taken care of. Sometimes I think people don't look at nose bleeds as being that big a thing, but it is definately something you have to take care of. Glad to hear you are doing better. I hope you don't have anymore bumps in the road. Hopefully it will just be a smooth paved road from now on.

Take care of yourself.

Gail

John

John

Wow! 6 hours was a long time to wait, you have the patience of a saint!

I had a 1 hour nose bleed, a few weeks ago, and it was during a sinus cold also.

I hear the packing can give you a terrible headache too.

Take care,

Terry40

ooooh john!
that sounds like a horrible experience!!! i'm so sorry you had to go through that, but i am so glad you're ok.
did they say you should get your nose cauterized? i get nosebleeds all the time and have had my nose cauterized at least 6 times!!! i cannot blow my nose because it may start a nosebleed.... saline sprays are all over my house and a staple. aquaphor or vaseline and q-tips are also all over the place in winter time to keep my nostrils lubed.
email me anytime for tips....
you are sooo lucky that you were not on coumadin. my dad has gotten nosebleeds when his levels are too high. it'shis signal.
glad you are doing well and this is behind you.
stay well, sylvia

Hi Sylvia,
No, they didn't say anything about cauterizing it, except to say that they couldn't do it now, since with active bleeding like I had, they can't really tell where it's coming from. I think if it happens again, I'll ask about that, since I definitely don't want to be making regular trips to the ER for this!

And Les, about that "NOSTRILDAMUS" comment you made...as the kid on "Welcome Back, Kotter" used to say, "Up your nose with a rubber hose!":D

Rob, to answer your question, "Do you talk funny with a rubber balloon up your nose?" The answer is yes, everything you say strangely sounds like four-letter words!

Thanks to all for your concern and sympathy. I'm now balloon-free and "nasally liberated."

--John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back