Tricuspid Problems

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessed1416

I'm having some difficulty understanding tricuspid regurgitation after my mitral valve replacement 5 years ago. My cardio assures me that everything is fine even though I am symptomatic and a comparison of the two valves indicates the regurgitation is worsening. After doing a little research on the internet, I am finding disturbing information about the possibility of tricuspid problems after mitral valve replacement. The most disturbing report was written by David H. Adams from Mt. Sinai Medical Center who questions that because of the "poor outcome" of patients with severe tricuspid regurgitation following successful mitral valve replacement, preventive TV repair should take place during the initial MVR surgery. It seems that by the time the tricuspid valve begins showing problems it may be too late to fix. Another report I found in the Journal of American College of Cardiology (http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/53/5/401)states: "Tricuspid regurgitation in patients with mitral valve disease is associated with poor outcome and predicts poor survival, heart failure, and reduced functional capacity." Does anyone have any information or experiences related to tricuspid regurgitation after successful mitral valve replacement surgery?

Mitral Repair Connection?

Mitral Repair Connection?

I am curious about this too, though I don't have an answer for you. I had mitral repair almost 5 years ago, and I've seen on my echo reports that my tricuspid valve is somewhat leaky (moderate), though I also know that many people, to some extent, have a leaky tricuspid valve. (Sorry for the run-on).

My cardio has never expressed any concern about this. Par for the course?

It would be interesting to see what others say on this matter.

Hope you find some answers!

Best,
Debi

Since my MV repair, my tricuspid valves seems to vary between mild and moderate regurgitation. Actually, what is strange is that when my MV had mild regurgitation in 2006 and 2007, the tricuspid had moderate. Now my MV has moderate regurgitation (not a happy camper about that) and my tricuspid has mild.

I only had trace tricuspid regurgitation when my mitral valve was bad. Since my MV was repaired my TV has also had varying mild to moderate regurgitation.

Latest posts

Back