Travler Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Travler

Hello all:
My surgery on 9/26 went well. They repaired my mitral valve and put in a ring. I am on lopressor, quarter tab 2X day. I came home on 9/30.
My major problem has been the pain in my back and arm. Acouple of days after I came home I was getting dressed and something popped in my shoulder. Tremendous pain that went on into my arm. Have been dealing with it since. I went for a checkup with my cardiologist and he said I was doing good. As for the pain, He said studies have shown that with heart surgery the spreaders move so much around that it is not uncommon for some bones to break. If they break, there is nothing they can do for you, just have to deal with it until they heal.
I have not been on the computer because it has been too painful to sit there. I am thankful I have a good recliner, it has been a great place to be.
I have been able to sleep in my bed for a few nights now, propped up on a bunch of pillows. My cardiologist has given me percocet and a sleeping pill. I now get a good sleep at night and that has made a good difference.
I am walking. Did3/4 of a mile in 20 minutes. That is my best so far at one time.
I have had some times of discouragement, I want to get better sooooo bad. I have such a great family who encourages me, and that helps.
Getting back on line and reading your posts has also encouraged me. To know that I am not the only one going through these things makes a difference and reduces anxiety.
Thanks for all your help:D

Way to go,

Great to hear of your wonderful recovery.

Sounds like you are really doing well. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and am walking about 3/4 mile in 25 minutes twice a day. My recovery has been pretty remarkable and yours sounds a lot better.

I know what you mean about wanting to get better. It does take time.

I started driving a little yesterday. I need to go te my blood work done and it is becoming more difficult to get a ride. I am nervous and being very careful about everything.

Just have to let nature take its course as much as possible.

So glad to hear, please keep us posted.

Bill

travler---I like your handle. your first sentence was positive,thats good. In getting mentally prepared for my own surgery, it helps to have info from others. pave the way, so to speak. I'll definately get a recliner and maybe reading tapes. your walking, is in my mind, the best thing you can do for yourself.
I appreciate your sharing and wish you a steady progression toward feeling the best.

Sorry to hear about the pain, but ooutside of that, it sounds as if your doing great. Keep walking and if you still have your spirometer, use it too if it doesn't cause to much pain to use it.

I'm coming along slower then I'd like, but then again, 48 days in ICU kind of gives me a reason to be slower I guess. :)

hi travler!
sounds like you are well on your way to recovery, albeit slowly.
i remember that joey's recovery was much slower than we had anticipated it would be (considering how fit he was/is). he actually got very upset and anxious about it. please try and be patient, it will all get easier in time.
about your pains, please check out this thread that jennifer o started on 3/3/02:
http://valvereplacement.com/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=1250. also, there is another one entitled: muscle pain in the back after surgery, started by sylgeren in small talk on 5/12/02.
hope these will help and put you more at ease.
wishing you a continued smooth recovery. keep up the good walking!
be well, sylvia

Hi Travlr.....Welcome back to posting. Glad to hear you're feeling better---everything will work out, especially the pain in your armsand back.....I remember Tyce saying that he had the same thing, but basically in his shoulters. A warm soak and some Tylenol will do wonders for you.

Stay well and keep walking.

Evelyn

Hi Traveler!

Hi Traveler!

Good to hear you are doing so well. I had my AVR surgery on 9/23. The worst for me at this point is I get stiff at night when I'm sleeping. I am not taking anymore pain meds. I'm all out, unless I start taking Tylenol. I have pain in my arm and shoulders as well. My right arm is worse than the left. Are you experiencing the burning tugging feeling of the incision yet? That is also bothering me right now. It's great to hear you are doing well. Keep up the good recovery.

Take Care & Good Luck!
Creed3

Latest posts

Back