Toprol XL (Metaprolol) Withdrawal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was discharge on Metaprolol as well. I had 2 pills per day and have since been dropped to 1 per day. Early on, I had some anxiousness but that's seemed to calm down. I've always had insomnia and take something to assist with that.

It will be interesting to see just how long my cardiologist keeps me on it. My next appointment is in Sept.

pem-

Thanks for posting your experience. I am in almost the same boat you were - left the hospital on the "recovery" 50mg daily dosage. Recovery was going well and then I had a bout of PVCs and some A-Fib. In hindsight I think these were mostly caused by me doing a little too much too early and anxiety/stress. BUt it was enough for the doctor to recommend an increase in my Metoprolol dosage to 100mg a day. Even when he wrote the prescription, we were already talking about getting off the stuff in coming months. So far, the increased dosage has resolved the irregular beats and lowered my HR without much in the way of side effects. We are planning on starting to wean me back to 50mg a day when I have an echo in July. Hope I can repeat your success in eliminating the med.

Good luck. It wouldn't surprise me if you could step down to 50mg again without recurrent issues.

Best
Pem

I was discharge on Metaprolol as well. I had 2 pills per day and have since been dropped to 1 per day. Early on, I had some anxiousness but that's seemed to calm down. I've always had insomnia and take something to assist with that.

It will be interesting to see just how long my cardiologist keeps me on it. My next appointment is in Sept.

Sometime physicians take the path of least resistance if there's no contraindication to doing so. If you prefer to wean off you might want to say something at your appointment. Best wishes,
Pem

I left the hospital on metoprolol as well. I just got off of it on Monday at six weeks post op. My cardio put me on attenolol instead. I do like it better. I seem to have more energy and think a little clearer. I didn't experience any issues as far as stopping metoprolol.

Gary

That's great. I've heard good things about attenolol. And now again.

Best
Pem

Back