Tooth Extraction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be having a tooth removed Thursday. Since I have an On-X mechanical, and I've had endocarditis in the past, I will take amoxicillin 1 hour before the tooth extraction.

What about antibiotics for a few days after the surgery? What are other mechanical heart valver's experience with tooth extraction?

I will be talking with my oral surgeon Monday, and with my cardiologist on Tuesday about this. Endocarditis scares me!

Thanks.
mTm

2,000mg of amoxicillin 1 hour before the procedure would be per the guidelines. I don't take antibiotics other than the standard prophylactic dosage prior to dental procedures. But, I have not had endocarditis before. I'd run the idea of taking it for a couple of days after the procedure by your cardiologist. I doubt that it would do much harm.

I just talked with the oral surgery office. I'll take the usual 2,000mg of amoxicillin 1 hour before the procedure, and they will also prescribe amoxicillin for 7 days after surgery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back