Tofu Surprise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtread

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Okay, here's a quick and simple dish that's nutritious and healthy. And even a total klutz like myself can cook:

One tub Extra Firm Tofu (14 oz)
One can Ro-Tel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
One half cup diced onion (I use yellow onion)
One cup sliced mushrooms

Open up the tub of Extra Firm Tofu and drain the water out (down the sink)
Take the Extra Firm Tofu and slice it into 1/2 inch cubes, first by slicing it lengthwise from the side (probably 3, maybe 4 slices). Then turn it upright and slice it the long way. Then slice it again crosswise. Hopefully you haven't totally screwed it up, but it you have it won't matter. Put the Tofu in a 2 quart saucepan.

Take the can of Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies and open it up with a can opener. Drain off about half the water and then dump it in with the Extra Firm Tofu that's in the saucepan. Also dump the diced onion and sliced mushrooms in the saucepan.

Turn on the stovetop burner to medium heat and put the saucepan on it. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. There should be enough water in the saucepan from the tofu and the tomatoes to keep it from sticking. If not add just enough water to keep it from sticking.

Serves 2 persons. Serve with some veggies and/or salad on the side, and a little wine or beer, or some other drink. If you're on the wimpy side you can substitute Ro-Tel's Mexican or Ro-Tel's Mild Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies. Both of them are milder. And if you're a fire-breather and like your food spicy you can add hot sauce and or spice as appropriate, but the Ro-Tel tomatoes have quite a bit of spice by themselves.

Tastes pretty good, and it beats Rachel Ray and her 30 minute meals by about 15 minutes.:p

GREAT RECIPE!My brothers loved it and my very cajun sister-in-law did not even complain about the tofu. I could not eat much of it though. I am one of those so called "wimps" I guess. but, my objuction to the jalapenos came only because of my bleeding ulcer causing dietary restrictions.

Lettitia

Hi, thanks for the complement on my tofu surprise. I forgot to mention when I posted the recipe that it is a 10 oz can of tomatoes + chilies. Also the Ro-Tel website is at www.ro-tel.com I went to their website and discovered that they also have a "hot" version and also a "chunky" version in addition to the "original", "mild", and "mexican". My local market does not carry the "hot" or "chunky" but I'll try and find them and check them out. I'm sure that there are other manufacturers that make similar products. However, if you have stomach or ulcer problems, or don't like spicy foods then just use tomatoes without the chilies. Somehow I acquired a taste for spicy foods, which is odd, because nobody else in my family likes spicy foods.

Folks that are not acquainted with tofu may have a reluctance to try it, or may have tried it and it wasn't prepared suitably so they think that they don't like it, but it is really pretty good if its flavored and/or spiced up. By itself tofu is pretty bland and tasteless, so it definitely needs stuff added to it and some "enhancements" otherwise its not going to go over very well. But tofu can basically be added in to practically any dish that requires meat, poultry, or fish.

I found another heart forum website that doesn't have much information on valve replacement but does have a very substantial heart healthy recipe subsection. Its at www.heartboard.com

think I will try it sans 'hot' stuff. I need heart healthy foods. Will let you know after I try it. Generally I like tofu. Even tried it in egg salad - very tasty. tasted just like the rest of the ingredients and made the recipe go a long way.

Latest posts

Back