Today's kids cynical...about the movie "Cars"?!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I got myself out of bed early Wednesday morning to get a haircut before work. I got to the barber shop, noted the people ahead of me (couple of middle-aged guys, an older gentleman and his grandson, about 5-8 years old), and plopped down in a chair to "rest my eyes". Within minutes, the TV blared a promo for the new movie, "Cars". My ears perked slightly, in part because I'm eager to see this movie. The promo ended, and I went back to "resting my eyes", though not for long.

Within seconds, a voice piped up: "That movie doesn't look good."

Suddenly, my dreary eyes were not so dreary anymore. I looked at the young kid who had just uttered those words. While my mind was wrapping itself around what the kid had just said ... and attempting to formulate a question, someone else asked what was difficult for me to figure out how to ask: "What do you mean that movie doesn't look good?"

Without missing a beat, the kid replied: "It's about cars that talk and drive themselves around. That's not reality."

The shop became suddenly quiet. No more discussion was had on that topic. But, my mind starting thinking....

Does this mean that today's kids are cynical about life? Or, does it mean that today's kids simply don't have an imagination? Or, does this mean that us adults (er, at least those of us who are notoriously cynical) are shedding our outlook on life on innocent children? Or?

My goodness. When I was young, I had a healthy dose of General Lee, KITT and Herbie. General Lee provided the "racing" energy. Yeah, that car didn't talk ... it didn't have to ... it performed ... and that horn...oh that horn. KITT ... the dang car TALKED! Plus, it could drive itself ... and help Michael stop criminals. And, can't forget about Herbie ... the car with a mind of its own, the ability to drive itself, and the uncanny ability to deciper between good and evil people ... and appropriately act towards each one (never will forget watching Herbie spray oil on that one fella).

And now, the movie "Cars", that I've been anticipating for weeks, was suddenly a movie that a young kid didn't think looked good. Aye. I can't imagine being a kid and NOT liking or wanting to see this movie....

Well, at least for me, cruising season (a definite reality) has started ... what with my older 4 MCs having made their debut in mid-May (had to get a battery for the '79, but otherwise, they all started ... and are running well) ... and being able to clean (wash, wax, etc.) the daily driver '87 MC LS for the first time this year last Saturday.

Now, if only I could get sponsors for the radio show ... and figure out what the "mass" is on my liver ... and find a new job.....

BTW, anyone in the Chicagoland area interested in going to see "Cars" sometime this weekend? I want to go ... but would rather not go by myself ... and it'd be cool to have a group of us see it together....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
"What I really need is an open road" ... Montgomery Gentry ... 'Speed'

Well, Cort, I don't know about the kids in the world but "Cars" is on the top of our list to see this weekend. I think you probably just found one of those kids that just likes to make a scene.
500 miles is just a little too far to drive for a movie but I hope you find some folks there who will go with you. I often go to the movies by myself when Chris is away. I never used to go alone but I don't mind too much anymore. It's kind of like a road trip alone - no one to answer to but me.
Have fun.

My 3 1/2 year old has been talking about this movie for months! He's very much looking forward to going to the theater to see it (it'll be his first time to the theater)! So not all the kids in the world are weird!

geebee said:
500 miles is just a little too far to drive for a movie but I hope you find some folks there who will go with you. I often go to the movies by myself when Chris is away. I never used to go alone but I don't mind too much anymore. It's kind of like a road trip alone - no one to answer to but me.

*raises eyebrow*

Ya know ... I hadn't thought of it that way, Gina ... thank you! Still ... I don't know ... I don't like going to the movies alone ... just feels "weird". My best friend, on the other hand, holy cow ... she has no problem with going to the movies by herself whatsoever. She loves it.....

And, Naomi ... good to know not all the kids are weird ;).

Heh...it just caught me offguard.....along with a few other things :(.

Cort. Chances are the kids were just posturing to each other......you just can't be too tough, too young, these days. Bet you anything they'll be going and laughing hard. I think it looks like an irresistible movie.

And, kids turn back into kids when they get older. My 23 year old says he'll take me to Over the Hedge when he comes home for a visit next week. Love that strip, and I'm assuming the movie will be true to the characters.

Don't worry!! Kids are still kids!

Marguerite

Our 3 year old grandson is chomping at the bit to see Cars. His 18 month old sister recognizes the commercial and starts pointing and saying "cars!!".

We saw Over The Hedge. Don't know about the comic strip, but the movie just plain good old hillarity. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I know it's supposed to have a serious message attached, but I left only laughing. Much better than I expected!!

Wise

The child that resides in my inner bubble MUST have movies like Cars! If I do not appease the inner child within myself, I don't feel life is worth living. The adult world, with all it's stressors and seriousness, gets to be too much sometimes.

Ross said:
The child that resides in my inner bubble MUST have movies like Cars! If I do not appease the inner child within myself, I don't feel life is worth living. The adult world, with all it's stressors and seriousness, gets to be too much sometimes.

Soooo sadly true ... in more ways than one :(.

May get to go see the movie after all tomorrow ... we'll see. Dang rain.

Welp, today, I went to see "Cars" on the UltraScreen, ironically with 3 "non-car" friends, and enjoyed it immensely! Along with the storyline surrounding the Piston Cup, the movie made commentary on the "Mother Road", Route 66, and how towns along that road were once thriving places ... but went downhill after the interstates, particularly I-40, were built. I came away wanting to go on a road trip ;).

AND....one of the announcers of the races ... the one on the right as you look at the announcers ... was a 2nd generation (1976 or 1977) Monte Carlo!

So....if anyone else is interested in getting together to see it, I wouldn't mind seeing it again!

I'd meet you for "Cars" if you didn't live a day away! I talked my kids (23, 21, 19) into going to see "Robots" with me last summer. Big mistake. When I mentioned "Cars" to them the other day when they were all in for a visit, they all said "Robots" and that was the end of that conversation! Our heads were spinning after about 30 minutes of "Robots". We ended up leaving.
I'm on my own when it comes to kid movies!!!
Kids being cynical....as a teacher ....I always have three or four in my class in Sept. Discouraging initially....then something magical happens and they start being their authentic selves! Joy to watch the transformations!
Deb

Cars

Cars

Hi Cort
If you haven't read my other posting, my youngest daughter just moved out west to her new job. They took 40 to San Diego. They loved the trip even though they was driving a u-haul and trailering my daughter car. She called me today from the beach. Ashley and her boyfriend went riding on his motor cycle. I plan on going to see her when we go on the cruise.
My husband is like you he is already to go see the movie Cars. are you going cruising with us this fall. I hope so ,it wouldn't be the same without you.

dj/utvolsfan said:
I'd meet you for "Cars" if you didn't live a day away!

He he he...well, a day's drive would be fun, tho, wouldn't it? ;)

dj/utvolsfan said:
I'm on my own when it comes to kid movies!!!

I didn't see "Robots", so I can't vouge for it ... but, I'd say "Cars" is BETTER ;).

SHerrin Hutt said:
If you haven't read my other posting, my youngest daughter just moved out west to her new job. They took 40 to San Diego. They loved the trip even though they was driving a u-haul and trailering my daughter car. She called me today from the beach. Ashley and her boyfriend went riding on his motor cycle. I plan on going to see her when we go on the cruise.

COOL! Yep, I did notice that in your other post :). Sounds like they had a good trip ... good luck to her on her new job!

SHerrin Hutt said:
My husband is like you he is already to go see the movie Cars.

He he he ... I figured he would be! You should go!

Oh, BTW, how far is Goodlettsville TN (just north of Nashville) from you? I'll be in Goodletsville (er, not sure of spelling) in a couple weekends (June 23-25) for the Monte Carlo Nationals.....

SHerrin Hutt said:
are you going cruising with us this fall. I hope so ,it wouldn't be the same without you.

Awwee...thank you, Sherrin! Sadly, tho, I won't be able to come on the cruise with everyone. I'm not going to have enough vacation time :(.

I really sad that you won't be there but I understand. You will missed by all I am sure! My daughter called me from the beach yesterday and tood me she will be moving in a 2 bedroom apt. in Oceanside beach, alittle north of San Diego for less than her apt. was at Purdue. She said it was a little smaller but it is within walking distant of the beach amd has a garagebig enough for his moter cycle and her ford escape. Everone told her how much more everything was expenive but right now it not to bad but wait till she has to tranfer her Insurance over to her name. Gas is over 3:20 a gallon. But her new job is less then five miles away. Oct. can't come soon enough for me.So far I have talked to her everyday. I'm sure that will change when she starts her job. But the internet will help ! I was at old pictures today and it just doesn't seem like she cold be out on her own. Mike keeps telling me it was my fault that her girls are so smart.

SHerrin Hutt said:
I really sad that you won't be there but I understand. You will missed by all I am sure!

Thank you, Sherrin! And, I sure will miss seeing everyone....

SHerrin Hutt said:
My daughter called me from the beach yesterday and tood me she will be moving in a 2 bedroom apt. in Oceanside beach, alittle north of San Diego for less than her apt. was at Purdue. She said it was a little smaller but it is within walking distant of the beach amd has a garagebig enough for his moter cycle and her ford escape. Everone told her how much more everything was expenive but right now it not to bad but wait till she has to tranfer her Insurance over to her name. Gas is over 3:20 a gallon. But her new job is less then five miles away.

The higher cost of living is the basic reason our family (Mom, Dad, sis and I) didn't move to CA in the mid 1990s. At the time, Dad worked for Unocal/Union 76, which opted to move the accounting department to CA. When Dad talked to one of his former managers who had moved to CA with the company 2 years prior, Dad decided to take the buyout instead of moving. His former manager told him that they were paying triple the house payment ... for half the space they had here in IL.

SHerrin Hutt said:
Oct. can't come soon enough for me.So far I have talked to her everyday. I'm sure that will change when she starts her job. But the internet will help ! I was at old pictures today and it just doesn't seem like she cold be out on her own. Mike keeps telling me it was my fault that her girls are so smart.

*chuckles* Well, I'd say he's half right.

Must be something about "looking back" tonight ... after seeing the movie "Cars" this past weekend, I wanted so bad to go out for a road trip. But, obviously, can't right now. Anyway, happened to go out to the backyard tonight ... and remembered all the times my sis and I played our own version of softball/baseball out there ... how we celebrated our first "night game" when Mom and Dad put the spot/floodlights in....

While work seems to drag by ... everything else in life is flying past us.....

Back