Today Show Lie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

March 19, 2007 the Today show on NBC advises people not to eat green vegetables while they are on warfarin because it will clot the blood.

If that is there stance then nobody should eat green vegies on warfarin or not:D

It was a physician... Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom. There's a video replay on today.msnbc.com. I entered my 'feedback' through the website... gave her the link for the foods page on Al's site. GRRRRR - such ignorance!

Let's see...after being on Coumadin for the last 25 and a half years and taking into consideration that I love greens and therefore eat them like I love them, then I should be ONE BIG CLOT!!!! I can picture what that looks like in my mind's eye. WOW!!!:eek: LINDA

At the start of my Warfarin therapy 8 years ago. Would avoid green veggies like the plague. As time went on....discovered I was not going to throw a clot and die if I ate a few salads. That tells me that a few small salads or other high Vit K meals here or there are not effecting my levels. Have been on the same dose since day 1!

Yikes, I usually watch the Today show when I'm off, I'll have to check out the website and send an email too. Thanks for the heads up, Al!

Thank you for contacting TODAY.

We receive hundreds of email messages a day, and while we read them
all, we might not be able to reply to each one directly. We do want
you to know that we appreciate the mail you have sent and the
comments you are making about our show. We created this automated
response to answer many of the frequently-asked-questions as quickly
as possible. We will try to answer all other questions directly when
we can. For immediate help you can always call us at (212) 664-4249.
For information regarding the WEEKEND TODAY show, please call (212)
664-2937.

More info

More info

She also has a blog on ivilllage.com, and here's what was printed in the blog. Still confusing, and certainly more accurate than "don't eat them at all". But just more perpetuation of the confusion around coumadin!

"Dark Green Vegetables ? Vitamin K rich foods like broccoli, spinach, asparagus and red leaf lettuce interfere with the blood thinning medicines like coumadin (Warfarin). Coumadin prevent blood clotting, while Vitamin K promotes blood clotting - counteracting the effect. "

Summary talking points from the show segment................

1. Ask questions
2. Be an informed consumer
3. Make your medicines work for you.

Add #4.............Don't get your information from TV!

I have been taking Warfarin for 5 years..next Sunday (my 5th Ann. of my surgery):) ..We southerners eat lots of greens.:D I have on a weekly diet..at least broccoli, asparagus, green beans, butter beans, ect.... and when I test monthly..My range has never been below the range of 2.5-3-5....Mostly 3.0 and above..I tested today because I will have some dental work Wed.....It was 3.8..so I will enjoy some more greens tonight/tomorrow night.:D Doubt if the greens will make a difference...Not worried..if I didn't bleed last week from deep cleaning..and the dental work is just for an old filling... Bonnie

Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom

Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom

Ok everybody,

Here is Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom's email address at the University of Pittsburg Medical college. [email protected]

Go ahead and bombard here with emails about the Today Show segment:D
The emails to the msnbc/Today show probably won't get the attention they deserve. The above email goes directly to her.

Nancy said:
http://weightloss.upmc.com/Chats/WLDrugsFeb00.htm

This must be the same doctor. She is a PhD., not a medical doctor.

I stand corrected... that old ASSUME got me:eek: Here's some info on her:
Madelyn H. Fernstrom, Ph.D. is Director of the UPMC Health System Weight Management Center in Pittsburgh, PA.

She has an A.B. in Biology from Boston University and a Ph.D. in Nutritional Biochemistry & Metabolism, Neuropharmacology from M.I.T.

Dr. Fernstrom is a member of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences (formerly the American Institute of Nutrition), American Society for Clinical Nutrition, North American Association for the Study of Obesity, Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior, Society for Neuroscience.

Among her honors and awards are:

1993, Wellcome Visiting Professor, North Dakota State University
1989-1994, NIMH Predoctoral Research Scientist Award
1979-1988, NIMH Research Scientist Development Award
1980, Mead-Johnson Award, American Institute of Nutrition
1974-1976, Alfred P. Sloan Fellow in Neurochemistry

I sent one too. I asked her to contact Al.

We've know for a while that this war of correct warfarin information isn't going to be one with one huge battle, just small ones.

Latest posts

Back