Tobacco Causes weakening of Arteries??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkey Hunter

I visited the doctor the other day due to sinus infection and other minor health issues.

As he and I were talking he mentioned that anyone with history of aneurysm?s should avoid tobacco products at all costs.:eek:
When I questioned him further he relayed his thoughts on the ?fact? that tobacco products of any kind (even in moderation) continue to weaken arteries and veins.:confused:

Has anyone heard of this? I haven?t had the time to research it and thought I would ask the greatest search engine available??..VR.com !!!

As some of you who have met me know, I use snuff (rub, dip, ect.). So this is an very interesting issue for me since there is already an apparent new aneurysm developing in my ascending aorta and aortic arch.

I would appreciate any feed back that any of you have.

Take care and God Bless.

Ben

Tobacco is the great evil doer of many things. So many in fact, I don't know what to believe anymore. Guess it's time to strap on the research boots and get into the swamp because I know half the crap we hear is false.

Ross, with all due respect....tobacco smoke is most definitely bad news for BAV and aneurysm patients.....bad, bad, bad indeed. Cocaine is probably worse tho'.

Hi Ben,

Don't know about the "dip" or "chew", but I do know that my doctor told me that due to my condition, I should not smoke, as smoking will narrow and harden the arteries and veins. Not a good thing for anyone that has had an aneurysm or dissection. I don't know if all the other chemicals inhaled by smoking cause these effects or if it is the tobbacco. If it is the tobacco, then I guess "dipping" etc would have the same demise.

So, I haven't had a smoke since that infamous day of 3/23/00.
(Although I must confess... on a fews occation I do enjoy a good cigar.)

btw.. They have some real good Cuban cigars over here in the Deutchland!

Rob

Hi Ben,
I was a social smoker for close to 20 years prior to receiving diagnosis of my aortic aneurysm. Because I smoked so little (literally one cigarette per month or less up to a maximum of a pack a week back in college), I always checked "no" when asked if I smoked on Drs forms so I know the information I received from my cardiologist was not meant to scare me out of smoking. Anyway, according to him, the only factor that has been proven to increase the growth rate of aortic aneurysms is smoking. Although I'm not sure that this is generalizable to chewing, my guess is that it would be since both end up with nicotine, etc. going into the blood stream. Kate

RobThatsMe said:
(Although I must confess... on a fews occation I do enjoy a good cigar.)

btw.. They have some real good Cuban cigars over here in the Deutchland!

Rob

I too, will enjoy a good cigar once in a while.....and I'm jealous of your access to Cuban's!!!

The UK's ASH web site has a pretty good summary of the areas where smoking is not a good idea for the heart or circulation:
http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact06.html

Most of this should not be a surprise, the dangers of tobacco have been known for a very long time - my father used to say that the squaddies referred to cigarettes during WW2 as "coffin nails". Unfortunately it didn't stop him smoking - RIP.

MrP said:
Ross, with all due respect....tobacco smoke is most definitely bad news for BAV and aneurysm patients.....bad, bad, bad indeed. Cocaine is probably worse tho'.
Don't get me wrong, I know it's not a good thing, but there is so much misinformation about it, that it's gotten jumbled with real information.

Ben Smith said:
I too, will enjoy a good cigart once in a while.....and I'm jealous of your access to Cuban's!!!

Ben,

I can arrange for a few good Cuban cigars to be there waiting for you!

Just say the word.

hmm.. guess what... remember I told you they wanted me on a 2 week here and 2 week home schedule and that it wouldn't last? Well, it didn't!

I fly back to the states on the 6th, and return on the 16th. So.. that leaves me with one week to get in the woods! hmmmm... I'll just have to call a big one in early!

I'll be over here from Apr 16th through May 16th. BUT... Cristi is going to come over and I will take vacation from 5/3 till 5/13 and we are going to visit Italy! I'll fly back on 5/16

So... looks like I have a one week window to be in the woods. Hope that changes by fall.

now.. back to topic .... Seems like you got to do some very serious soul searching on "dipping"... if it''s the tobaccie.. then.. hey.. find a new vice!

Luv ya man... but you'r not having the fine German beer I am drinking while I write this!! !!!!!!

Rob

RobThatsMe said:
Ben,

I can arrange for a few good Cuban cigars to be there waiting for you!

Just say the word.

Rob, I am saying the word. Send me some of those cigars.

I'll be sure you get the $$. Those Cubans beat all others here in the states!!

PM if you need the address!!!!

Ben

StretchL said:
Does a bear... um... sleep in the woods?

C'mon I am not a smoker. I use some snuff. I am not by any means a horrible addicted tobacco user. (addicted...probably) but not a smoker.
Why do most of the reply's have to do with smoking rather than snuff???
My question was a general tobacco question...... not a question about the evils of smoking.

I will check into RoHol's link and see what it has to say.

Thank you all for your input.

Ben

If you get a chance Ben, will you let us know what you find out? I've got a son who chews snuff, and I find it very worrisome.
Thanks!

I deleted my other post as I guess I misunderstood something when I researched what I thought you were asking; technically and/or medically, however, the process is evidently commonly referred to as "spit tobacco," as per the links.

Again, sorry to hear about your aneurysm. Take care.

I haven't read the above links yet, but the thing you do get out of snuff is nicotine. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. It temporarily makes your arteries less resilient and increases the pressure in them. That may cause them to be less able to retain their shape, if you already have a tendency to it. It may also affect the layers of your arteries to different levels, which would have a dissociative effect on them, which would certainly not be to your advantage.

I smoked for many years, so I'm no angel telling you what a bad person you're being. I've been on that side of nicotine. It's not easy to walk away.

By the way, there are a lot of people now addicted to the gum, lozenges, and even the patch now. No, it's not as bad as inhaling the myriad toxins in the smoke, but yes, it's still quite bad. Nicotine is the number one bad actor in tobacco.

Best wishes,

I have read where smokers are being prescribed Vitamin C to counteract the effects of smoking. Vitamin C is essential to the production of collagen which is the building block of arteries.

Latest posts

Back