To all those waiting for OHS.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avrguy

This is a copy of my post from two years ago......

I'm terrified.
My aortic valve is being replaced, with part of my aorta "maybe". The surgeon said he'll decide when he gets there.
The shame I'm feeling is that I cannot get into a positive attitude even with the wonderful support I'm getting from all of my
familly and friends. Even my doctor says I'm a good candidate.
Am I the only one that's felt this way?

The response I got was overwhelming.
Most repliers gave the same advice..."the waiting is worse than the procedure"
Please heed this advice, it is so true.

From the moment I got the anaesthetic to the time I woke up was over in a flash (in actuality it was eight hours).
The removal of the breathing tube was over in seconds. there was virtually no pain, just some discomfort.
The removal of the drain tubes was quite a tingle, but over quickly.
However, sneezing and coughing was no fun. When it happens, hugging a pillow really helps.
The operation was on a Wednesday and I was home Monday.
Recovery from then on was challenging but rewarding. Feeling better almost day by day was a great incentive.
By Christmas I was feeling better than I did twenty years before.

Good luck to all waiting for your big day. Life is wonderful "on the other side".

My heartfelt thanks to:- JKm7, Forrest, Racquetshopper, Lionheart, Dick0236, Scott, Duffey, Bina, Mike1953, bradvo, Greg a, escargome, Allisoninoz, TomG LouLou TheGymGuyC, Carverelli and Guyswell. Your advice saw me through.
Also my sincere apologies for not thanking you sooner......God bless you all.
avrguy.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a BAV but almost no leakage and no stenosis so the surgeon doesn't want to replace it but I have an ascending aneurysm (4.8 cm) . I've been told I can wait but trying to get the guts to get it over with this winter.

Hey avrguy, you are quite welcome. Those feeling that most everyone had pre-surgery are nothing to feel ashamed of. Who the heck willingly wants to have surgery that involves the heart. Our minds go to all kinds of dark places. But posts like yours allow the new people on board to have a light at the end of this very confusing tunnel. It has been 6 years since my AVR and I feel terrific. So continue to move forward, there is truly life after surgery.

Wow, such a good and comforting post! It seems to vary from person to person but a lot of people seem to be saying it's not as bad as one might think, you just need to take it easy. I'm also glad to hear that the tubes being removed aren't so bad.

I'm scheduled for a mitral valve replacement (going with mechanical) and possibly work done on my aorta October 30th at UCLA. I must say I'm feeling pretty brave. I'd do the surgery in two weeks if I could to be honest. Look forward to just getting this past me.

Back