Tissue Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as a Tissue valve is made out of "Tissue", the human body see it a "foreign" tissue , etc.

When you speak of “old” men, speak for yourself. “Old” is not a well defined term, and quite frankly I am no old man. I’ll put my athletic skills up against most 40 year olds.
My, my, my........you are testy this morning......I must have hit a nerve.

I am glad to say I'm old.......that means I made it. My valve was only supposed to last 50 years and now it is coming up on 55 years and is still going strong. I hope your valve does as well......my Edwards valve paved the way for your Edwards valve so your valve comes from good stock

Now about your Trumpite problem?????????

Wow, things have gotten a little heated on this thread since I last looked le19555. Turns out I am prepared for a nasty tweet back from you to defend this board.

1. The advice to go mechanical for me at a healthy 58 came from my surgeon who has close to 30 years experience in open heart surgery. Using both tissue and mechanical valves. He said to me and I quote “ if you go tissue, I WILL
see you again.. or some other surgeon will”

2. Out of body trials can not replicate the conditions of the human body ie: low grade tissue rejection that takes place. You may want to give this a read https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.018506

3. Lastly, this board has helped me tremendously. The real world experience of people here helped me to come to terms with what my very experienced surgeons recommend. The people here are not selling tissue or mechanical, they are simply relating their experience of actually living through surgery and with their choices.

4. The advice I have received from members here is mirrored in my own experience. No, I am not driven crazy by the noise of my mechanical valve. I almost never hear it, and when I do it sounds way better than my pre surgery wosh, wosh from stenosis. Warfarin has been very easy to manage for me, I eat what I want, I still have hair, I don’t bruise much but I do fart more. Which bothers my husband to my delight. (That last bit is a joke, I do actually love my husband).

5. Lastly, my experience here is that when people make a choice other than mechanical it is supported. But the majority here also speak honestly, and give honest advice, generally backed by reputable information and personal experience. I appreciate that, and so I stay a member. Non of us have any obligation to continue here if you find it biased or distasteful.

Just for balance, I'm a healthy 52 year old male and I chose tissue. I had my op 6 weeks ago and knew the benefits/limitations of both types beforehand (discussed with surgeon, cardiologist and recipients of both types of valves). I made my choice based on what's right for me and I'm happy with my choice.

Let's hope that someday the perfect valve that'll last forever without structural deterioration, without clicking or warfarin comes along and we'll all be happy 😊

As an extra note, for me, I spent a lot of time thinking about the pro's and con's of the valve types beforehand but not enough on the mental aspect (irrespective of valve type)....the unusual heart pounding, raised heart rate, messed up blood test results, brain fog and stuff that occurred for the period post op took me a bit by surprise if I'm honest.

I did search this website and came across lots of posts from people who'd been through all this stuff before and it does help put your mind at ease that all of my worries were not unique to me! 😄

I suppose I'm kinda wondering if not enough discussion takes place ahead of the operation to highlight some of the post op impacts and worries that people can experience. All of the focus seems to on the valve types but I'm sure we all go through pretty similar post op experiences irrespective of valve type.

Well it breaks my heart when I hear or read about someone who decided on a mechanical valve just to find out the day after surgery how difficult and complicated taking blood thinners can be (for them) or the ticking noise was louder than they thought and/or know one told them about it. Yes people coming here should be able to read everything regarding heart valves and so I am doing my part by stating the facts about both types of valves. The inspiris valve from Edward’s under rigorous testing has been shown to last 25-30 years or more. Mechanical valves may no longer have the longevity advantage for anyone north of 50.

Point of order here.

1. In an earlier post you said this obviously is a site for mechanical valves. I have been on this site for a very long time. My profile says 2016 but I started lurking here, and may even have had an earlier account, many many many years earlier, certainly when a mechanical valve would have been my best option. Tissue or mechanical, this site and many of the interactions/support have/has been invaluable, and remains so...and part of my knowledge base.

2. On the TAVR issue. I don't think anybody knows how long any valve will last. Some people have tissue valves fail rather quickly, but most report 8-15 years. My surgeon gave me 8-12, with sizing for a new one via TAVR when the time comes.... assuming (and only Pellicle will laugh at this) I'm still here. I'm very realistic.... to the point of knowing that a TAVR is not guaranteed. We have no idea what the level of calcification will be and whether the slight leak in my mitral valve will get works or "remodel" to no leak as my heart adjusts to the new valve.... or whatever else comes along. As I wrote here at some point (or two or three) my surgeon, a lead investigator in the Resilia – he put the first one in a patient at the CC in 2018 – still chose an older model for me.

3. There is no right or wrong. It's very personal. Even at my age my surgeon gave me the pros/cons of tissue vs mechanical and had me choose. He told me he agreed with my choice, but then felt the older model was better for me.

4. I hate to see anybody get testy here. Not worth it. If having to get a new valve teaches you nothing else, it's to reduce the tension, not increase it. Pellicle figured that one out a long time ago. I'm slowly getting there. Many of us do an enormous amount of research, and while we're not experts, it's often about little more than being as informed as possible.

Cheers,
Herb
I have learned more from all that have had tissue, Mechanical and other valves in the last 20 years of being here. I was 36 when I have mine dome and happy to be alive.
Hate the attacks on good people who have been here longer than I have. We have had doctors here helping with the information on all aspects of OHS and all the different ways OHS has been changed in the last 50 years or more. We are here to share and learn from each other. Herb. I stand by you. It hurts when someone comes in and bashes the ones who have used their experience to teach us what the changes are in Heart disease. Not all of us have had surgery many have the condition that we need more information from others like you to share.
I hope the site gets better from this incident. This has become like YouTube or facebook with the bashing in here for the last year or so since the Presidential election and the January 6th insurrection in the USA.
I hope there will be changes coming in here soon. No more hate or bashing should not be allowed here. I am sorry for being long winded, Herb. And I hope changes come ASAP. We have all had enough. This was a peaceful place till 2016 and 2020(when the world had the biggest challenge since WW2).
So sorry Herb. Had to get this off my chest. I hope the mods are reading this.

There is no right or wrong. It's very personal.
pretty much on the money there, especially with the myriad of factors we each can't understand from the question asker.

I have a rule which I often forget and need to remind myself of now and then: only reply to questions asked either by the OP or directly of me.

Lastly as one journeys past 50 into 60 the determining factors of "which valve" blur in significance.

Best Wishes

Hello All- one week out from my new mechanical valve and 2nd recovery suckks!!! Sure appreciate reading everyone’s perspectives and research and think what I found would help.

i prioritized my doc over the valve, but was pretty sure I was going tissue for the back to normal seduction. My cardiologist surgeon told me then, you pick the first one, I’ll pick the second one.

Had a good recovery and went back to active lifestyle at 43 and enjoyed almost 8 good years. Then backto chf, rhythm issues (pacemaker on July 29) and the news that the time was now for a replacement. My reg cardio said I could get a new tissue and plan for a couple TAVR’s and that would cover the next thirty years (81yo). However, during my surgical consult, Dr Hughes at Duke. I reqlly can’t say enough about how pleased I am. Said with the lack of lifespan of the current tissue valves and TAVR and he didn’t want to pop the hood again, we were going mechanical. Hopefully O2 but didn’t fit- big valve.

2nd surgery- not fun. 8 yrs older, now a diabetic and with a pacemaker, I still thought I could just roll in there and magically walk 3 miles on first week anniversary and blow the full spiro 4000 on Day 4 just by waking up. This most definitely did not happen. Advice- treat this event like the fight of your life it is. Get sugars right, get your breathing as good as you can and exercise as much as doc allows. I was supposed to walk 45 min a day at 3mph. It is a mental and physical and spiritual fight and I found myself falling into what if I never get to eat pasta again! This ain’t for the weak my friends.

so surgery went well enough. Heart stopped a couple of times and they repaired my growing aortic aneurysm (4.3 cm) surgery required at 5.5 cm. Afib once on Day 3. But doc was almost positive that would happen and the amilioderone drip eventually righted the ship. Surgery 7am Monday, discharged 11am Saturday. Woke up today feeling good enough to skip the heeavy pain meds and hopefully can continue.

Thought this synopsis could help everyone experience my thoughts and question them. I feel we are all on a spectrum to discover which is best for us and you make your best decision and go. Do I take the vaccine, do I go with tissue, do I take the job in California.
I was a guy who hated needle sticks, wanted to continue playing basketball and could live a “normal” life. I was told the valve I was getting could be third generation and last forever, but to expect 15/20 years hopefully. Discussed it w my wife and she left it to me but fully supported the tissue valve decision. I was the lucky 5% that developed rhythm issues and my tissue time was cut short. But I did develop them at 51 and my aortic aneurysm was caught early. Life is life.

Looking today, I probably would have gone mechanical valve just because these valves are not lasting significantly longer and I am an indoor guy anyways, esp now.

thanks for letting me get this down. I appreciate what everyone is going thru and understand the need for the perfect decision but sometimes we make our best guess and hope for the best.

also, remember these docs make little follow up money on the one and dones. Money runs the world yo.

Hokie Sid

Edit- pellicle, please feel free to respond if you like. I thoroughly enjoy your input

Hello All- one week out from my new mechanical valve and 2nd recovery suckks!!! Sure appreciate reading everyone’s perspectives and research and think what I found would help.

i prioritized my doc over the valve, but was pretty sure I was going tissue for the back to normal seduction. My cardiologist surgeon told me then, you pick the first one, I’ll pick the second one.

Had a good recovery and went back to active lifestyle at 43 and enjoyed almost 8 good years. Then backto chf, rhythm issues (pacemaker on July 29) and the news that the time was now for a replacement. My reg cardio said I could get a new tissue and plan for a couple TAVR’s and that would cover the next thirty years (81yo). However, during my surgical consult, Dr Hughes at Duke. I reqlly can’t say enough about how pleased I am. Said with the lack of lifespan of the current tissue valves and TAVR and he didn’t want to pop the hood again, we were going mechanical. Hopefully O2 but didn’t fit- big valve.

2nd surgery- not fun. 8 yrs older, now a diabetic and with a pacemaker, I still thought I could just roll in there and magically walk 3 miles on first week anniversary and blow the full spiro 4000 on Day 4 just by waking up. This most definitely did not happen. Advice- treat this event like the fight of your life it is. Get sugars right, get your breathing as good as you can and exercise as much as doc allows. I was supposed to walk 45 min a day at 3mph. It is a mental and physical and spiritual fight and I found myself falling into what if I never get to eat pasta again! This ain’t for the weak my friends.

so surgery went well enough. Heart stopped a couple of times and they repaired my growing aortic aneurysm (4.3 cm) surgery required at 5.5 cm. Afib once on Day 3. But doc was almost positive that would happen and the amilioderone drip eventually righted the ship. Surgery 7am Monday, discharged 11am Saturday. Woke up today feeling good enough to skip the heeavy pain meds and hopefully can continue.

Thought this synopsis could help everyone experience my thoughts and question them. I feel we are all on a spectrum to discover which is best for us and you make your best decision and go. Do I take the vaccine, do I go with tissue, do I take the job in California.
I was a guy who hated needle sticks, wanted to continue playing basketball and could live a “normal” life. I was told the valve I was getting could be third generation and last forever, but to expect 15/20 years hopefully. Discussed it w my wife and she left it to me but fully supported the tissue valve decision. I was the lucky 5% that developed rhythm issues and my tissue time was cut short. But I did develop them at 51 and my aortic aneurysm was caught early. Life is life.

Looking today, I probably would have gone mechanical valve just because these valves are not lasting significantly longer and I am an indoor guy anyways, esp now.

thanks for letting me get this down. I appreciate what everyone is going thru and understand the need for the perfect decision but sometimes we make our best guess and hope for the best.

also, remember these docs make little follow up money on the one and dones. Money runs the world yo.

Hokie Sid

Edit- pellicle, please feel free to respond if you like. I thoroughly enjoy your input

Thanks for sharing @Hokiesid

In that you have lived with a tissue valve and now a mechanical valve, you have a valued perspective and it is great to have your input in these discussions.

So true, all we can do is make the best decision we can with the information we have at the time. Wishing you the best in your recovery. And here is to hoping you are good to go for many, many years.

Hey

My cardiologist surgeon told me then, you pick the first one, I’ll pick the second one.

hey, that's a really good plan ... I like that :)

Had a good recovery and went back to active lifestyle at 43 and enjoyed almost 8 good years.

Yeah ... well that's how it regularly goes I'm afraid. What's interesting to me is that if with the benefit of that experience either you or me say that the pre-any surgery ever crowd will howl me down because the "first surgery ever - but over 50 crowd will howl us down.

Two surgeries is not really so bad, having had 3 I don't want the 4th because I know it won't be good afterwards.

I live now every day for today but live at the same time to make sure my health is good for tomorrow (well except on Sunday night, when I drank too much with some surprise visitors, Monday was pretty tame)

Best Wishes and fingers crossed for many decades on that valve and ratsak

Back