tissue valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marygrace

I was informed that my Mother's aortic tissue valve is leaking around the valve. I believe that this means where the valve was stiched in place. What can I do to help this leak stay small? Does anyone have any infomation on this type of problem. Thank you,
Mary

These kinds of leaks can develop when valves are replaced. Your mother's cardiologist will have the best information as to how to live with a leaking valve - minor leaks can often be tolerated and monitored. In general she will have to avoid heavy lifting and other activities that can suddenly increase blood pressure, and may have to take medications to keep her heart rate and blood pressure under control.

There are others here at VR who have, or have had, this problem and I'm sure they will be along soon to let you know what their experiences have been.

Hi Mary-

There isn't much you can do to keep her valve from leaking or keep it small. Her cardiologist is the one who will be monitoring the nature of the leak, and I would hope that this monitoring would be on a frequent basis. There are all kinds of scenarios, it could stay the same, scar tissue could form and close it, it could get bigger and need a repair or a replacement.

My husband had a paravalvular leak that formed around his mechanical mitral valve. He had to have surgery to repair it.

Just make sure she goes to all of her scheduled appointments and takes all the medications at the right dosage and at the appropriate time. And of course, help her when she needs it and tell her that you love her.

Best wishes.

Hi Mary

Hi Mary

How long has it been since your Mother had surgery? How old is she...I was age 61 and told that I didn't need to have a repeat surgery so I have the Mech..Valve. Doing great 2 years later..Hope she will not need a repeat surgery. Takes so long to heal, ect..Good luck. Bonnie

Thank you Bonnie, Nancy and Bill for your replies concerning my Mother's tissue valve. She is 83 and had her aortic and mitral valves replaced 8 years ago. She almost did not recover from the surgery. For the past seven years both of the replaced valves have had a small leak, but now the aortic valve is leaking around the valve where it was sewen.

I will follow all the advice the three of you gave me. I thank you. This is a wonderful group.
Mary
in Virginia

There are some meds they sometimes use to reduce strain on the heart when there are leaks. Sometimes folks with multiple heart issues can have problems with the heart tissue itself, where the valves are mounted (sewn to). While tissue valves tend to be more gentle on their mountings (at least more so than the early mechanicals), nothing is really guaranteed for anyone. Of course, it could be something with the valve itself.

She's 83. She's probably not highly active. If so, that will probably increase her ability to cope with the leak. I suspect they're going to want to try to medicate, and to avoid any surgery for her. Please let us know what they determine to do.

May it never catch up to her,

Back