tissue valve at 48

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

spillo

Hello Everyone,
I am spankin' new to this wonderful web site. I have read many replies, many opinions, facts and experiences. I have done much research and have finally decided on a bovine pericardial aortic valve. I am 48 and will be driving up to Cleveland in about 3 weeks to let Dr. Cosgrove have at it.
I worked at CCF from 1980 to 1990 in the Dept. of Artificial Organs. We designed, fabricated and implanted artificial hearts in calves back then ( calves had a chest size close to a adult male in case your wondering on animal model choice ). We did a million other projects but the artificial heart lends itself best to my helping my decision.
One model we used was made out of titanium. Until the interior was coated with a protein layer it threw clots and sheared red cells at a high rate. The calves also had to be kept anticoagulated. If there was a clot there was a stroke. Too many red cells breaking (from the mechanics of the heart) was not good for the kidneys. Too much or too little anticoagulant causes problems we are all aware of.
When we took protein and cross-linked it using gluteraldehyde the subjects tolerated it much better. It was more natural, smoother corners, less anticoagulant, less hemolysis.
I feel the same way about the St. Jude or others mechanicals versus the tissue valves. Tissue valves are more natural. Bovine pericardium is treated with gluteraldehyde. The protein is then formed into a valve not too unlike the one that took millions of years to perfect and has gotten me 48 years with structural defects and calcium layering on.
In tissue valves there are less corners where flow patterns can change like around pivot points, or where flow can stagnate and form cell globs. This can create embolisms. Plus no need for anticoagulants is nice.
Bad problematic events with anticoagulation over a 15 yr. period occur at the same rate as severe problems with 2nd surgeries, about 2-3%.
I looked at a web site for valve sales people. You know the guys in the suits or in the scrubs that sell valves to hospitals. They say mechanical valve sales are losing 3% per year while tissue valves are picking up as much. There has to be a reason.
I have 4 sisters who are nurses. One of them went to a meeting last Wednesday and spoke to the head of cardiac surgery at the Mayo Clinic. I'm sorry I forgot to ask her his name. But he is 46 and he told her if he needed AVR surgery at his age he would go with tissue. That is when he told her about the problem rates I mentioned earlier.
Another of my sisters worked for years at the Cleveland Clinic in Cardiac surgery. She said she would take a second surgery over coumadin any day. She has seen problems with both and when things went well with both for years.
Now I own a medical lab in Southern Ohio. I can get pt/inr's for free whenever I show up for work. But I also draw people or see my clients come in to be checked. We average 50 or so pt/inr's a day. Some inr's are pretty out of whack. Some people are pretty bruised. Alot of people don't like coumadin. It is a powerful drug, not just a pill you have to remember to take.
I also have my own unfounded problems with mechanical valves. I don't like noises. I have super sensitive hearing and terrible eyes. I don't like the idea of having something as rigid as steel and carbon in my heart when I can have soft protein "tissue" in there. I feel there is a "crush" factor to deal with. Like a seat belt in a car wreck pushing on the carbon and bruising the heart. ( I said they were unfounded ! LOL ).
I also think medical research is spending more on biomedical research than it is on mechanical engineering. In other words I think changes in tissue or homograft durability will occur before they figure out how to put steel in your heart without clotting.
Finally, I want the chance to have a new model. Why buy a car now and listen to an 8 track forever when you can lease one and look forward to xm radio?
This is such a great site. Everyone is kind and have a wealth of info. they share with others. Thank you for allowing me to express my views. Everyone is different. It has been said over and again here but it really is true. Whatever you decide is right for you. My journey has been much easier with this website and with all of you. Thank you.
Spillo
This is my first post I am sorry if I included errors

Hello spillo-

Welcome to the site. You certainly have a wealth of background. So you'll be able to answer many people's questions from the research point of view.

Having made your valve choice is great. It's one of the things that gives most new valvers the most anxiety. It's a very tough choice. My husband has had 3 valve surgeries. His first mechanical was implanted 26 years ago, it's still with him. He's been clicking along for many, many years. And also on Coumadin for as many.

Please let us know the exact date and we'll put you on the calendar so we can follow your progress.

Take care,

Spillo

If you read my post under valve choice, you saw that we both came to the same conclusion for the same reasons and chose the same place for our surgery. I also had narrowed my valve search to either a bovine pericardial or a homograft. I went for the homograft because both valve types are now lasting up to 20 years, but you cant beat mother nature for hemodynamics. I am a runner and have been fighting poor hemodynamics for years. My old calcified bicuspid valve had a preasure gradient in excess of 60 mm hg.

My new homograft has a perssure gradient of 5mm hg. That is about as good as it gets. My EF is now 70% and for the first time in my life I can finish a long run and not feel tired. I can't tell you how happy I am with the new performance of my heart.

I am now running 3 days a week and training for the Air Force Marathon.

You chose Toby Cosgrove as your surgeon at the Clevland Clinic because of his reputation. I chose Dr. Pettersson for his skill at complicated redo's.

If you see Dr. Pettersson while you are there, please tell him how happy I am with my outcome.

Good luck with your surgery. You made a wise choice for both surgeon and hospital. You will have the best team available for valve surgery anywhere in the world.

In my opinion, even though not asked for, I must say it.

I have only one problem with the way all of this is looked at, the term "second surgery". If your all happy with the accepted risk that a second surgery may or may not go off so well, then alright, but after everything I've been through, I will not advocate to anyone to even entertain the idea of a another surgery in the future. Call me surgically shy, call me nuts, call me whatever you want, but for the life of me, I can't understand why folks want to put the lives on the line again and again. I do realize that having a mechanical in no way means that another op may not be needed, but it sure lessens that likelihood.

I'll go back to my hole in the wall now. I just had to say it. :)

Welcome, Spillo, please stick around, I think you have a lot to share with us, a lot of technical background knowledge.

I just thought I'd mention that I shared your unfounded concerns big time for a while after surgery, but I haven't thought of them in two years or so.

Hi Spillo,

Welcome to the site. I hope your surgery is incident free, and a complete success!

It is obvious you did much research and soul searching to come to your valve selection. Like so many of us have said in the past.. it truly is a personal process, and the best valve is the one that provides you with the best peace of mind.

I am always leery of stat's though until I gain the backup information that lead to the percentages used. You mentioned that mechanical heart valve sales are down these days as compared to tissue. I would just like to mention that more people are now living longer lives, and those in their senior years requiring valve replacement surgery are more likely to opt for a tissue valve since in most cases it would last the balance of their lifetime. Longer live spans and the aging of the baby boomers is going to make many established stats questionable in the future.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and I hope you become an active member on the site. It's everyones input that makes this site what it is.

Wishing you a successful surgery,
Rob

Spillo,

I agree with you about your choice of valves. It is truly a personal choice and I rarely voice my opinion because I feel so strongly.

For all the reasons you have mentioned, I chose the homograft at 56. I farm and use wayfarin to control the rats...just couldn't face feeding it to me too! Plus whatever problems I would have with bruising and bleeding with the farm work. Also my motherinlaw has been on low coumadin doses since her hip replacement. All went well for about 10 years. Then arthritis struck and she has had major problems with different meds due to the coumadin. So that sort of reinforced my opinion.

I have had no problems and have felt better than "normal" since.

Cleveland Clinic is the best. And I, too, am a Dr. Pettersen grad too.

Good luck

Fresh Air

Fresh Air

Real genuine, sincere and thoughtful email. Valve choice is a totally personal decision that you will really will live with. At 50 I chose the bovine from CE and the operation/recovery went very smoothly. Going on 9 months. I have not looked back. Interesting you mentioned how the docs and nurses would chose a tissue. Initially many docs advised me to go for the mechanical valve. However, when I did make my decision to have the tissue, ALL docs whom I previously spoke to told me that they would go for the tissue given the same situation: my age/no symptoms/active lifestyle. Your radio analogy is a new twist for me......I realize that some individuals did not have such an easy and smooth 1st operation which does cloud the issue re 2nd ops. I hear over and over how Coumadin is not a big deal.. If I had to take it, I would and it would NOT be a big deal in my mind. However, there are tons of issues and tons of conversations re INR/recipes/travel/bruising/what to do/what not to do/ etc. Therefore, if apparently is a big issue one learns to work with, like everything else in life.

There is no normal life, there is only life.

Good luck

Jean,
I am surprised you mother-in-law is still on Coumadin, 10 years after hip replacement. My m-i-l has had 2 hip and 1 knee replacements and was only on coumadin for a short time. My understanding is that joint replacements take coumadin until the area is healed (not bleeding inside) and then go off it.

Spillo welcome!
I'm now half way through year 12 on my St. Jude mech. I've had no issues w/ Coumdin at all (stepping away to knock on wood). I had 2 small children when I had my surgery done at 32. I couldn't see putting my family through another surgery during the kids growing up years. So my choice was right for me.

Just a side note - I have doctors in the family and the big joke is that surgeons will recommend surgery for a hang nail. The point is, they are surgeons because they like to operate. So I'm guessing most surgeons will tell you that additional surgeries are no problem unless a patient comes in cold, blue and with no pulse and then it's a toss up:D .

Just so you are aware, tissue valves don't elimate the coumadin issue 100%. Some people experience chronic A-fib after valve replacement and must take Coumadin. My brother-in-law had a stroke and must now take Coumadin.

I love the way you've done your research - that's the way I approach things too. Your choice will be the best one for you and best wishes as you continue your journey to a healthy heart.

Hello Spillo,

thanks for your post... I m fairly new to this site also and I have been doing a LOT of research on the tissue vs. mechanical valve issue. And thanks in part to this site, I am able to confidently make my decision before my surgery on 4/13. IT was nice to have insight from someone who works so CLOSELY with the field...
you can see the rather lengthy thread that I started a few weeks ago on this board. lots of information and opinions there too!

Thanks,
Eddie

What I'm going to say is not in any way trying to influence your decision, Spillo. You've made your mind up and I'm happy that you have found the right solution for you and you are at peace. And I wasn't going to discuss it, but I feel the need to add to what Ross and Karlynn have said.

I have observed up close and personal how subsequent surgeries affect a person. Might not be the case for all, but it is my husband's experience. He's had 3 valve surgeries.

Additional heart surgeries are more difficult because of scar tissue and adhesions. The body has a much harder time recovering from subsequent heart surgeries. Once you become a candidate for another heart surgery, you will be evaluated differently, and you will probably be much sicker going into an additional surgery due to the risk-benefit ratio.

I would say that when my husband was faced with his third surgery, his life was extremely compromised, he was in Stage 4 CHF, he was extremely dizzy. He was sleeping sitting up on the sofa because he couldn't breathe. He could not walk to the mailbox. And I was very fearful that his life was coming to a close. He really, really had to push for this surgery. I would imagine that he was considered a high-risk patient. I can't tell you how stressful that period of time was.

So for the person performing the surgery, it's just the same old, same old, but for the patient, it's quite another thing.

I've asked Joe if he would have chosen a tissue valve,and he told me that in 1977, there were two types of valves, pig and the new mechanicals. His surgeon appologized to him because Joe would have had a reaction to the pig valve, so he could only have a mechanical. He's said that he was a lucky man that the pig didn't work out.

As to the Coumadin issue, for him it is a non-issue. It is just another pill that he takes. He's been taking it for 26 years. It needs to be regulated, but so do some of his other meds. He takes 14 or medications per day, some more than once, and has injections 3 times per week also.

Coumadin has never given him one minute of side-affects that I can remember. It has never made him nauseous, dizzy, given him diarrhea, caused his blood pressure to drop or rise, affect his heart rate, give him headaches, nor has he had to be hospitalized for medication side-affects. Many of his other meds have caused these things.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you for your replies. I wish this was over and I could be telling the success stories you all are with all typrs of valve choices.
I keep telling myself that if I were my father I would just work till I dropped and they would say I had a heart attack. Now I have a chance and a choice as well.
I asked about a homograft from Dr. Cosgroves nurse, Jean Ryan. She said they are only, with rare exceptions, used with endocarditis or when there is aortic damage along with a stenotic valve. She also said the hemodynamics were not the same as tissue valves and surgeries are more demanding of doctors and patients. The longevity was said to be 20 yrs. I agree with a few others that natural is best but a homograft is not for me.

In research the minds follow the money but the mind shows up first. In other words when someone has an good idea it will get funded. When it gets funded it gets in articles. When people read these articles or in some other way hear of this idea people will flocj to work on it. If it makes money, like mechanical, homograft, tissue, porcine etc valves it feeds itself funding. The new anticoagulant will be out in the not so distant future. This will allow coumadin users to stop having to monitor the "thickness" of their blood. This isn't good for me though. I get paid for PT/INR's ! Not much though (sigh..)
Has anyone seen the tv documentary where they grew an ear on a mouses back ? I would think someone is working on valves at that lab also. Lets not forget stem cells either.
I think all of us can look forward to some great happenings.
Thanks again for the replies to my first post. Heres to your health !
Right back to ya,
Spillo

I'm with you on this, Spillo.

I'm 51, and having a Mosaic porcine valve installed on April 6th, if all goes well. It is also treated to reduce calcification. The CE Magna bovine is a great choice, and should go 20-25 years, if the anti-calcification treatment works as well as anticipated, and you're not too rough on it.

I was leaning toward the bovine pericardium valve, but if I get 15 years from the Mosaic (which actually claims it should make 20-25 years with current improvements), then I get reoperated at 65-66, which should be better than at 71-72, which is the likely bovine term. By then, I may need somthing else done anyway. Who knows what the valves will be like then? That may be the last time I have to go through it.

Best wishes to you.

Spillo

Spillo

Welcome.............and I hope you do well with your valve selection. I have a bovine mitral valve that replaced my Bjork Shiley mechanical due to Coumadin problems. After being on Coumadin for over 21 years it is so nice to simply take one coated ASA daily. I am hoping that this valve lasts longer than predicted as I do not want to go through a third surgery in my lifetime. I am 48 years old and my most recent surgery was Nov. 03.

Good luck with your surgery and please let us know how you make out afterwards.

Rachel,
There may be a replacement for coumadin where the need for testing is greatly reduced coming up in the future.
It is my understanding that the chances of bleeding and clots are the same as on coumadin however.
I think it needs to be taken more than once a day as the half life or period of desired effects, is shorter. There is little residual so it is more imperative you do not miss a dose on this new anticoagulant.
If I am wrong on this someone please correct me.
Why is your recovery slow ? What has contributed to this ? I hope you get better quicker starting today.
spillo

Rachel I wouldn't get all excited about anything taking Coumadins place. At this point in time, it's not even being considered for use in valve patients nor tested as such.

As for the longevity of your valve, it varies obviously, but I'd think you'd get 20 plus years out of it, perhaps longer.

:) Rachel,
One word. Ouch !
That is a full plate you have. Did they at least pay the surgery tab for burns inflicted ?
If it helps, you did all the right things so soon the outcomes from your right decisions will be helping albeit a bit tardy.
When you need a valve in 20 yrs. they will have one to last the rest of your life without coumadin. The surgery will be advanced, pump time lessoned, done away with or improved, recovery will be quicker, drugs will be advanced as well nursing and home health.
If you can get over this swell your climbing I think you have smooth sailing for quite a while.
Spillo

" When you need a valve in 20 yrs. they will have one to last the rest of your life without coumadin. The surgery will be advanced, pump time lessoned, done away with or improved, recovery will be quicker, drugs will be advanced as well nursing and home health."

It goes with out saying that the second sentence is true, I'm
skeptical about the first sentence. The biomedical industry
has made the promise that valve like that was just 10 years away- over 20 years ago! One only has to look at the Advanced Tissue Science fiasco where they made the claim
in 1995 that in 2000 they would have a production for valves where by we could grow are own valves in vitro for later transplantation. Today their in Chapter 15- I think
St. Judes or some valve company bought their research rights and still no valve. Do you think this reseach get a
high priority at St. Judes when they still are trying to get back the R&D cost on the Regent valve. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it-in big way! Now I need my forth replacement and had counted on that technology- but It
is not even close to being available.
One thing to remember also is that last time I looked, no
could reverse the aging process. You always do better when you are younger, rather than older all things being equal. My first surgery in 1960 no one expected me to live- the day of my surgery after I woke up, all I could say is
"I want to go home". I never slept that night because I felt
so energized. My main goal was to steal ice chip from the
oxygen device over my head. When the nurse caught me I told her my head was iching. My second surgery in 1964, same deal, I was ready to leave the next day. Instead I sat around for six long weeks going crazy. In 1982 for my third
AVR,it was a whole different story. Spent 7 hours on the table because of so much scar tissue from previous surgeries. I was tired as hell for a week-all I did was eat and sleep. Had A-fib for the first time in my life. Was cardio-verted while still awake( It is like getting hit with a
4 x 4 beam on your chest). Sent home on Quinadex- two
weeks later back in the ER with Quinadex fever and spent
the next day feeling like my heart wanted to jump out of my chest while it "adjusted" to Norpace. Now I'm going for number 4 and two valves, Maze and some bypasses( not due to to arteriosclerosis, but the cutting away of scar tissue) at a place with the leading surgeons and technology
and yet with all today's advances- this surgery will endanger my life!
Like Ross has said so many times here "try to avoid future surgeries and do not make choices today on what MIGHT be developed in the future" Wise words indeed!

RCB,
Rachel mentioned she was 49. If this new one lasts 18 yrs., not 20 she will be 67. The valve she would need at that time, even if time stood still in the research lab for 18 years would most probably be her last, statistically speaking. That is why I mentioned to her having the next one will be the last one, and w/o coumadin. Of course no one knows what may happen.
I don't think all the other advancements I mentioned will happen, as you agree to, without the valve itself also improving during that same period.
There are some clever, intelligent people doing this type of research. With the internet it is alot easier to share your ideas. This cuts down on a lot of repetitive research, allowing more frequent and cost effective developments on ideas. Viva la stem cells !
Spillo

anticoagulant for tissue valve

anticoagulant for tissue valve

Rachel

I recieved a aortic tissue valve at the end of December. When I left the hospital my doctor put me on an 81mg aspirin only. I am now almost 4 months post-op and have experienced no problems. In fact I just completed a 1/2 marathon this past Sunday.

John

Back