Time to make a final decision, need some help please

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike dab

Just had another echo and my mean gradient is over 50, valve area is under 1 cm2. Most importantly, my ventrical is thickening. Cardiologist told me we need to find a surgeon and get something scheduled soon.

Does anyone have any experience at Emory in atlanta, or florida hospital in Orlando. Both have two or three physicians who have a lot of experience with the On-X valve.

Sorry you haven't received any replies yet -- tends to be slow here on weekends.

Here is one USN&WR ranking of top heart hospitals -- I believe the two you mentioned are in the rankings.

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery?page=5

In the past, I have heard good things about Dr. Chen at Emory. I do not have first-hand experience there, though. My surgery was in Northern Virginia/Washington, D.C. area.

All best to you .....

Does anyone have any experience at Emory in atlanta, or florida hospital in Orlando. Both have two or three physicians who have a lot of experience with the On-X valve.

Yes, Emory has kind of been the "center" for On-X for quite some time. The international Lead Investigator for the On-X PROACT trials is at Emory...Dr. John Puskas. He's the one who knows the most about the trial and the one who always presents the evidence to date to the public at large (other surgeons, FDA, etc). I think his official surgical position at Emory is Associate Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery. The Chief of Surgery is Robert Guyton...who performed my surgery and a few others here also. There have been several here who had their surgeries done by Dr. Chen also generally with equally high praise. His experience is slightly more dealing with the aorta...at least I think based on what I've read (I didn't meet with him). I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Guyton...his broad knowledge and experience are exceptional, and I would assume much of the same translates down to the rest of the Emory team.

If you do a search here on any of the doctors or hospitals, it should turn up a lot of feedback...

Hi Mike:
I can not answer your questions. But, I can tell you that tommorrow I will be 15 weeks post-op with my ON-X valve and I feel great. My recovery
once I got home was smooth and uneventful. I am very happy with my valve , surgeon and hospital choice. Good luck!!!

I had my aortic valve replace with a tissue by Dr. Chen at Emory at the end of 2011. For about 11 years in the waiting I was always watching and attending health fairs by AHA and asking cardio doctors who was the best surgeon for aortic. The names were always Dr. Chen at Emory or Dr. Alan Wolf who had been at St. Joseph Hospital for many years. http://www.nghs.com/meet-the-surgeon
I chose Emory because it is not only the surgeon but also the medical team that is also operating all the machines during surgery. At the time I think Dr. Wolf had been in Gainesville for less than a year.
At my only first visit with Dr. Chen I was not prepare with my list of questions because my cardio had told me that he thought that it still was not time to replace my valve. If you visit Dr. Chen have your list of questions ready. I never did get to have a second visit with Dr. Chen before my surgery. His nurse did talk to me on the phone.
I did have a few complications during and just after surgery but I had a good surgeon. If I did not have one of the best surgeons I may not have made it through my surgery. I also feel lucky that I have never had any atrial fibrillation after surgery. After my first echo my cardio told me that it was the best one that he had ever seen after having an aortic valve replace with a tissue. Emory University Hospital on Clifton Road is a good hospital. Everyone that enters your room is friendly and positive. If you visit Dr. Chen ask him if any students will be working on you during surgery because it is a teaching hospital.

During my research, Emory came up very high in the ranks for hospitals and AVR surgery. I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and have had no issues with my On-x valve. Do your research, educate yourself and go for the surgery. I feel better now 5 weeks after surgery than I did 3 years pre surgery. Good luck with your decisions.

I had MVR at Emory in 1989. It is a great hospital. I have been referred to Dr. Chen for upcoming AVR. I have not met him yet but I am trying to learn as much as I can about Minimally Invasive or Less Invasive Valve replacement surgery. The recovery time is much shorter than with a full sternum surgery. I am just beginning the research on this topic so any input would be appreciated.

Back