Three in a row!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Perrster

Another Perfect 3.0 INR: For the third month in a row, I have nailed a perfect 3.0. Could it be that I have overcome the things that cause Coumadin irregularities or is it just dumb luck? It's most likely the latter.

I also had my Cholesterol checked again this time. Lipitor (after only 8 weeks) is doing its job:
Total Cholesterol dropped from 234 to 181
Triglycerides from 200 to 190
LDL from 156 to 101

A year's worth of Red Yeast Rice stopped working for me, so I gave-in for another ingredient in my daily medication cocktail which now includes 5 prescription drugs and a few supplements. (If I ever run out of insurance, I'm totally screwed! I guess I'm destined to work until the day I die!)

Nevertheless, I have definitely overcome my previous anal retentiveness about diet and Coumadin stuff and just try to live a normal(?), healthy life from day to day. Sure, I'm careful, but I try not to think about the Coumadin issues anymore. I feel good and I only test once every 6 weeks.

My cardiologist's office handles the tests and my nurse uses the smallest microfine butterfly needle available on the large inside vein of my wrist. This has been more pleasant than the arm and is not-painful at all. (Being close to Halloween, I enjoyed "jabbing" her with a little Dracula shaped candy.)

Relative to the recent "discussion" on the Protime/Coagucheck machines, I am sorry to say that I am a quitter. I just don't have the time (nor does my Cardiologist) to have to write more stuff so the friggin' insurance company can deny it again. Frankly, I'm happy to get out of work a couple of hours early once every six weeks and let an experienced nurse do all the work.

I hope this information is helpful to someone who is nervous about taking/testing for Coumadin. I was extremely nervous for my first few years after surgery, but feel I've now reached a stage where it has nearly become second nature and is no longer such a challenge.

My best to all.

You lucky little man you! I'm going nuts trying to get mine stabilized. 4.4 one day 1.1 on the next test. Sitting at 1.9 on 12.5 mg per day.

Yeap, your lucky alright. :D

Hi Perry

Hi Perry

I don't blame you for giving up on trying for Protime. And Congrats on the 3 perfect 3's..:) :D For 2 past INR readings I have called in to my Clinical Nurse, a perfect 3.0 and yesterday 3.4...Both times she called back and said test again in 3-4 weeks...This time, I am going to wait 3 weeks..because, I too, want to get on with my normal life..And not be obsessed with wondering what my INR is today. And maybe the next time..I will go the whole 4 weeks. Had a message the Cuvettes were going up to $12.00 each from $10.00..:mad: I really think after you find your perfect dosage (mine has been 5 mg.6 days and a 2 1/2 on Sundays now for 4 months...you stable out...And always check before new meds..I asked my Pharmachist today if I could try Unisom (Hank had mentioned he took it)..She said it would be fine....Speaking of Hank..Hope they are all having a ball in Vegas...:D :D :D Bonnie

Hey Perry, I'm with you on the Protime. My insurance denied it, and I guess the fact that I haven't been motivated to push harder is an indicator of how inconvenienced I am (not). My clinic has a Coaguchek, and I get my monthly test with just a finger-stick. Add to this the fact that they're on my way to work and I can drop in without an appointment, I guess I'm pretty danged lucky! My company will be switching insurance plans in January, so I'll try again then.

My dosage and levels have settled down remarkably since the roller coaster ride that resulted from coming off amiodarone.

That's just great Perry.

You know, it seems to take everyone a while to level off with the Coumadin. We all know about consistency. If you let them play around with your dose every week or two, you will be a bouncing fool!

Happy it's working out for you. Life is grand! The wine helps too :D

Let's make it a point to have our local gathering soon! Early Nov?

Isn't it strange how 'after heart surgery' the little things mean so much to us. Strange and wonderful. Congratulations, dear Perry. You have fought with this 'un.

Latest posts

Back