Thinking of Our Surgeons and Their Teams.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

Most of us spend a fair amount of energy choosing our surgeon and learning what we can about their teams and the hospital where they operate. The vast majority of us report after surgery they know they made the right choice.

I think of my surgeon often... maybe more than I would had he not operated on me twice in four years.
Today I say a prayer for his soul as he passed months after my second surgery from a very, very fast cancer he didn't know he had at the time of my surgery. He was 'top of his game'.

It is my four year anniversary from that surgery and rather than celebrate, I find I am shedding tears for him and for all the people who lost the chance for him to help them.
Rather than celebrating my valversity, I am today honoring his life and all he contributed to so many.

Do you think often of your surgeon or once you were released from his/her care, you moved on with your life and try to put all those memories in a box somewhere in the back of your mind? I wonder if I am 'odd'.

Yes, I do think of my surgeon once in a while and pray that he is doing well. No you do not seem odd to me. After all you are talking about the man who gave you back your life while unknowingly losing his own. To honor him in your own way is fine. Just try to stay strong and remind yourself that he gave you back the ability to live and I'm sure he would not wish you to be saddened for too long. In any case, remain peaceful as you attain another year of good life. I too will be celebrating 4 years come May. God Bless You.

hi jkm7,
i can totally relate... my father had his surgery done several years ago by dr. stephen colvin at ny hospital. he was proficient at minimally invasive valve surgery. at the time, none of us knew he was very ill. he passed away a few years ago. i feel we have lost a genius in this field who (as is usually the case) did not burden anyone with his suffering.
he will (is) missed terribly.

Back