The view from this side is wonderful

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecrowley

Hi everyone,

I'm 8 days post-op and finally had a good day at home. My surgery was last Tuesday, and I came home to Tulsa on Sunday. I had a partial lung collapse on Thursday, but it resolved itself quickly. That was my only real setback at the hospital. The 5 hour drive on Sunday felt easy at the time, but it sure took a lot out of me. I felt horrible Monday and Tuesday, but feel much better today. My biggest problem is to continually remind myself to slow down and not reach for things. With a 3 month-old, that's difficult. My wife, step-son, and parents have been wonderful in taking care of me. Medically, we're still trying to get my blood pressure lower. It had been running 148/92, but a combonation of Toprol, Lisinopril, and Clonidine has it down to around 125/80. I also get periodic headaches, and of course my chest and upper-body are pretty sore. But....ahhhh.....it feels good to be here.

Thank you all for the wonderful support. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue to recover. I left my hospital band on to remind myself I'm still a patient, and will be for a while.

Lee
Ross Procedure, 8/8/06
Dr. William Ryan
Presbyterian Hospital, Dallas

The view is wonderful isn't it! Welcome to this side of the mountain. Remember recovery is your main job right now. I feel for you though since there is just something wonderful about holding a little baby.....well, you can hold him(her?) but let someone else do the lifting and carrying. Before long your restrictions will be lifted and you can lift and carry all you want. Right now settle for some nice snuggle time. I had a cat who was about joined to my hip for several weeks and actually was a source of comfort. I bet your baby will be way better than that.

Welcome home. Take advantage of your "excuse" to take it easy. In a few months you'll be remember these do-nothing days with fondness.

Lee,
I'm glad you made it home. Five hours is a long car trip following a Ross. You're apt to have a few uncomfortable days, but it sounds like you have a good attitude and you will do well.
Glad you're back.
Mary

Lee, wow it sounds like everything is going great for you. It's great to have you back. Just remember that you had open heart surgery and you need to rest and take it easy for a while. Welcome to the other side of the mountain. Isn't the view great! ! !

Welcome home.
I had only a 1/2 hour drive home from the hospital and I was exhausted. I cannot imagine 5 hours. You are amazing.
I hope things continue to go well.

Karlynn said:
Welcome home. Take advantage of your "excuse" to take it easy. In a few months you'll be remember these do-nothing days with fondness.

Lee:
Karlynn said it perfectly!
I do remember my post-op "vacation" at my parents' home in Dallas with great fondness -- being waited on hand & foot, entertained, no one complaining if I dropped off to sleep several times a day, no laundry, no cooking, etc. etc.

I can't fathom a 5-hour drive home from the hospital. Mine was only about 30-40 minutes, tops, and then another trip to Walmart to get Rxes filled.

Take care and get lots of rest.

Lee:

Welcome Home. Prayers answered. Congratulations on a successful (although not quite boring) surgery and hospital stay. I wish you the best during your recovery. It is great that you have supportive family close at hand especially with very little ones around the house.

Rest up, recover well - for soon its back to work!

David

A 5 hour drive home...crikey!...you are tough...no-wonder you were a bit tired after that...I needed a nap after my 30 minute drive home and I thought that was weird...
Great to be home though isnt it...

Congratulations. You sound just great!! Keep up the good work!

I know what you mean about forgetting and reaching for things or lifting things you shouldn't. Then, in 6 weeks or so, you'll be looking around for someone to help you with something and you'll suddenly realize, you can do it yourself now!! :D It's a little bit of a limbo, but once you get the rhythm, it goes pretty fast.

Make sure you get to hold that new baby a lot....someone can bring him/her to you. That will be your best medicine!

Pay close attention to your breathing and after that collapsed lung, do whatever exercises you were told to do, and do them religiously. It will help you feel stronger. My ride from the hospital was 20 minutes and it wore me out!! You're amazing!!

Best wishes! Marguerite

Lee,

Glad you are home and doing well. I agree it sure is nice to be on the other side. I am enjoying the movies, and room servic, but am anxious to get out and about. Let's take advantgage of the downtime and relax awhile it's fun!

Randy

Hi Lee,

Thanks for posting regarding your recovery progress. I devour everyone's recovery tales and try to make mental notes of things to remember and prepare for. Congratulations to you on sounding so upbeat.

I don't want to intrude on your welcome home thread, but the one thing I did see everyone mentioning was your 5 hour trip home. I'm also going to have a 5 hour trip back from Cleveland, so I'm going to start a new thread for post-op travel input. We were just wondering today how I was going to make the trip back?

Please keep posting about your continued progress and all your triumphs and hopefully few snags you encounter along the way.

Very Good Lee! Glad to hear your doing so well....Yeah, 5 hour car ride definitely does not sound like a picnic. Keep up the good work!

Back