The therapeutic benefits of Taylor Swift...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decades ago, I was a certified CPR instructor. I didn't recertify, and know that some of the methods and timings have changed.

I guess that Sousa's 'Stars and Stripes Forever' may not have the best advice.

Maybe one of Scott Joplin's rags would work. Maybe something from Raymond Scott (you may not have heard of him). I wouldn't be surprised if 'Tiptoe through the tulips' has the right rhythm.

There's probably a lot of 'old' music that would actually work as a good rhythm for chest compressions.

You want me to pay attention to a yet another youngster's music?? Only over my dead body!
personally I often don't do what I cite from the literature.

I'm in the main (and in chronological order) classical, 60's and on Jazz, Popular (like top 100) bands from 80's on (decreasingly to now), seminal electronic (Tomita / Tangerine Dream / Vangelis / Jarre).

Including modern interpretations which aren't crap

This kid totally curated his environment for that performance

Reactions: V__
I'm in the main (and in chronological order) classical, 60's and on Jazz, Popular (like top 100) bands from 80's on (decreasingly to now), seminal electronic (Tomita / Tangerine Dream / Vangelis / Jarre).
(More) seriously, my music preferences are from college days. So classic rock it is! I've been wondering if the same "stuck in the past" phenomenon is universal.

Totally off-topic, of course. Sounds like Friday :)

(More) seriously, my music preferences are from college days.
as it happens I started earlier and then found my way into sound recording. I ended up doing a bit of time after Uni (nobody employs biochemistry grads) in proper State Performing Arts Theatre and then got a real job (in IT, after a second degree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

its Saturday atm (other side of the Intnl Date Line) from you

as it happens I started earlier and then found my way into sound recording. I ended up doing a bit of time after Uni (nobody employs biochemistry grads) in proper State Performing Arts Theatre
I'm more used to people with the liberal arts degrees having employment issues... Sounds like an unusual career path.

its Saturday atm (other side of the Intnl Date Line) from you
As it happens, it felt like Friday for a few days now. Might be a state of mind 🤔 or body :eek: . I'd better get a drink. After all, the calendar says it is Friday (still). Must be true then!

This comment:
I'm more used to people with the liberal arts degrees having employment issues...
sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole not least because I wanted to get a grasp on a term that is to me only used in America: A Liberal Arts degree. So thanks for that :cool:

In my life I've only ever heard that phrase used in specific contexts and it seems to me that Americans use it differently to the Europeans, British, Japanese or Australians (I can only speak to those areas by experience). This Wikipedia link has some interesting things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education#In_the_United_States

In Australia we just say Arts Degree or Science Degree, or Medicine Degree or Engineering Degree.

"Free University Education" only existed for a short time I just managed to get out the door with Science before that fell with it moving from "contribution schemes" to now being patently a money making scheme. Ironically the cost of provision of a Degree programme has gone up as the Fees have gone up and worse yet, to me at least it seems that rigor of assessment has gone down at the same rate as fees have gone up.

Right now I'm actively looking at doing my PhD but its about AU$35,000 per year and so I'll need to find grants for that.

Last edited:
When I went was a freshman at UCLA, quarterly fees were $127.50, IIRC. At that time, we had probably the best college basketball program ever -- this was during the years when UCLA won the NCAA championships for many years in a row. As a student, tickets to basketball games were 25 cents each. I think the tuition skyrocketed to $207.50 when I graduated - but tickets to home basketball games were still a quarter each.

How times have changed.

----

As far as music goes, I like the stuff from the early 20th century - I'm not real big on big bands, but a lot of the older stuff is interesting - and, regrettably, is almost all forgotten. I may be one of a large handful of people who actually knows - or listens to - the old stuff. I'm sure that some of it would be ideal rhythm for heart compressions.

(I also like Old Time Radio (OTR) and occasionally listen to it when I have the time.)

a term that is to me only used in America: A Liberal Arts degree.
I guess it's a local slang then... thanks for pointing it out!

Right now I'm actively looking at doing my PhD but its about AU$35,000 per year and so I'll need to find grants for that.
You need to find the grants? Isn't it a job for the adviser (after you get admitted to the school, and actually choose the adviser)?

You need to find the grants?
if I want to do it then, yes I have to. The university gets the money no matter how I progress my project.

Isn't it a job for the adviser (after you get admitted to the school, and actually choose the adviser)?

perhaps were it a situation where a university being desperate to find PhD candidates to do research into community health benefits of a drug that's out of patent and no BigPharma cueing up to throw money around; or perhaps Big Pharma wanting to get some brilliant fresh out of a promising Honours Year Student who's work parallels their needs. Sadly nobody is faintly interested in getting better health outcomes for mech valvers on warfarin (except, it seems, me).

PS: you may have noticed I'm not a fresh grad ;-)

if I want to do it then, yes I have to. The university gets the money no matter how I progress my project.
Well, the university being the beneficiary (not a sponsor) is something I understand :) But I'm struggling to understand how one does the grant-hunting without even being admitted or having the proper titles. You might need to find a sympathetic advisor to start with.

Sadly nobody is faintly interested in getting better health outcomes for mech valvers on warfarin (except, it seems, me).
Well, the profit-deriving "machinery" probably won't be interested in researching a commoditized drug. Maybe private donors/philanthropists might understand the interest from the benefit-to-society point of view?

I'm still sort of trying to understand how Americans use "liberal"; as it seems to depend.
Liberally, it seems :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

The exact etymology is beyond me. But the word is featured in several fixed phrases. E.g. "liberal elites" is a code word for the political right-wing for the left-wing people. And "liberal arts" can be opposed to trade or professional degrees.

Regarding Old Time Radio (OTR), there are many places to look. If you're lazy, there's a seller on eBay that offers a hard drive with a lot more programs than you'll ever have time to listen to. There are also a lot of links (and a lot of shows) on Archives.org (a U.S. archive with all kinds of interesting stuff). There's an organization that collects and cleans up the old recordings, also accessible from the Archives.org (or is it .com?) website.

While I was waiting in my cardiologist's office this morning (I needed a jump start), I listened to some Jack Benny Program from the first two weeks of 1941 -- they're still funny. I usually listen to Richard Diamond Private Detective. But, of course, I probably wouldn't use any of these for CPR.

Reactions: V__
Back