The test from Hell Today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa45

I am so tired and sore. Please tell me if anyone else is having to do this. I am offically listed on the national database for the double lung transplant as of March 4th. Today I had to have a Glofil test. I thought I was going in for a simple test, which became a any all day ordeal and the test from hell called a Glofill. Here is what they did. The glofil starts with drinking a non-radioactive iodine substance mixed in Diet Coke. The Diet Coke doesn't help the flavor at all ( then you try to not throw up.) Then, your first urine sample is taken. This is where being hydrated is an advantage. The specific gravity of this sample determines your initial water-drinking amount. This can be as high as 12 cups ( I had 17!) Before the test begins, you are injected (big shot in the muscle the kind where it is hard to lift your arm and burns going in) with radioactive iodine. Since you're thyroid is already saturated with your initial cocktail, the radioactive stuff avoids your thyroid. The rest of the day (you actually have a hospital room and nurse for the day) consists of drinking the amount of water you're told to drink, having blood drawn, (mine was drawn and has to be out of the same vein 5 times every 30 minutes.) and peeing on demand. That on demand time will be when you least expect, and it's hard to be ready. The CT scan consisted of having an IV installed, In the same vein then lying within a huge spinning wheel. Eventually, the dye was injected into my IV by a gun that looked to be from the set of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids". And I drove there all by myself!

The reason for the test was because my 24 hour urine collection as part of my evaluation came back below normal. Which means my kidneys are not functioning normally and my Creatine levels are not correct. This has nothing to do with the cyst on my kidney which is common and they will not biopsy right now but just watch. I will have to have this same test every 6 months along with the TEE and heart cath. That I had last week.

So now I am worried that since they found something on my kidney in the abnominal scan, and the CT scan and sent me to a nephrologoist that something is really wrong. But this test was not for Cancer but renial failure and they said it is pretty rear that they do it. Only a few hospitals around the country do it.

Anyone else have experience with this...getting scared. Thanks
Lisa

Lisa

Gee whiz Lisa, that test sounds terrible. I thought I had had some bad ones but yours. Wow. I take it that now that the test is over the diagnosis and treatment plans can begin. As everyone on VR.com says be sure and learn all you can by surfing the web and asking questions. Just doing a good search will take away much of the anxiety and fear. Good luck.

Bob

Bob

Your right I am doing the research on the web, but at this point there isn't anything more I can learn. I don't know what they do if the kidney isn't functioning correctly and don't think I want to at this point just going to think positive. I am finally listed on the national database for a double lung transplant, so I guess I can't complain I have 2 years of testing finally done. Now, I just have these few I have to do every 6 months until the transplant. Thanks for being there.

Love
Lisa

Lisa,
What have they told you about "next steps" in the diagnostic process? I can't believe they are just going to leave you hanging. I would suspect that they will try to find out the what/why of your kidney function and go from there. All sorts of things can affect kidney function, and not all of them mean permanent damage.

This is good news that you are now on the transplant list! The technology has improved so much for transplants, and diagnostic tests (while no fun at all) can help pinpoint the problems.

They will figure this out, Lisa...your faith and good medical care will get you through this. Hang in there, and remember your friends here will always be available to support you any way we can.

Best,
--John

Dear Lisa, we are all following your threads and worrying right along with you. You are one of our special ones and many prayers are going along for you, each in our own individual way. I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this, but sometimes our personal road is a hard travel. Somehow, though, you just keep on trudgin along. You WILL get there - we just know it. God bless :)

You Guys are Great

You Guys are Great

You guys are all great! I will make it and they will call when they get good and ready I am sure. Today I have the blessing of helping someone else.

I have a friend not really a friend she works with my husband Randy or did until last week she got fired and tried to kill herself. She doesn?t have any family really and she really doesn?t have any friends so she is coming over today so I can try to help her. I did grief counseling for 10 years. Pray I have the right words to say to her. I so wish we all lived around the same area so that we could do lunch once a month or something. Wouldn't that be great!

Your Little Friend Forever
Lisa

Lisa, You are by far the sweetest most giving person I know!
God is going to take care of you little one. Much love sent your way today and always!
:)

To Alicia

To Alicia

thanks sweetie but I haven't really done anything yet.

Lisa

Wow,
Those tests sound medival! You are one strong person for sure. I'm pulling for you!
carbo

To carbomedic

To carbomedic

carbomedic,

Now I am really jealous you are out on a fishing boat fishing! I love, love, love to fish!!!!!! No better feeling to me in the world then being out in the boat just before sun up alone in prayer with God and fishing and feeling that nibble, that little tug where your not sure on the first little tug but then the second one comes and hooked!

Yes there is another good one I used to snow ski all the time. Up on top of Whitefeather at Taos Ski Valley when it is quiet near the begining or end of the day and it starts snowing and it is so quite you feel like your touching the tips of heaven!

Ok I have more......Ok I will stop

what is heaven for you all?
Lisa

Hi Lisa-

I'm glad that nasty test is behind you. Sometimes things have to be done for the greater good. I remember my husband having a swan in his neck for two days straight. He could hardly move. But it was necessary to get him the help that he needed.

Hopefully no more nasty stuff for you.

Not to worry, Lisa - the words will come unbidden. And she will be helped. Please tell her she is receiving good wishes and that she, too, will come through this distressing time and go on to a much better life. She will learn some good lessons from this (tho hard ones) that will carry her on through from now on. Bless you, Child, for giving so much.

wow lisa!
all that and you still have the energy to help a friend who is in such need of support.
you are incredible.
please know that we are here along with you, praying and hoping that all will turn out smoothly.
you are in our thoughts, sylvia

Great News

Great News

Just got the results of my Glofil and they are at 92%! So I am good to Go!!!

Yea!!

Lisa

Yippee on the results

Yippee on the results

Wow, Lisa, I'm taken aback by the grueling nature of the test, and still, in the middle of your anxiety about the results, you found the strength to help out someone else. I'm raising a virtual toast to you for your kind, giving nature and thoughtfulness.

You are one strong lady :D

Lisa,
Congratulations on your good results! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she gets evaluated for depression, as sometimes counseling alone is not enough (as I'm sure you well know).

It is the mark of a wonderful person who, during times of personal adversity, still reaches out to help others. You are a livin' doll in many ways, Lisa!

--John

Lisa

Lisa

I will of course put you keep in my prayers. You have been through so much and I hope from here on out things go as smooth as possible. When you are healthy (and I am going to BELIEVE you will be) if you ever get to IL my hubby can take you fishing in his boat. He feels the same way you do about it. Close to nature. Close to God. He says he does his most inspirational praying then. I don't understand the fishing thing. It's not my cup of tea but my hubby would rather fish then almost anything else. He could do allot worse things.

Bad luck or none at all

Bad luck or none at all

Lisa sweety - Seems like you get the worst of it all, and I'm so sorry. The only good news is that yours makes everyone else feel good by comparison. If I could, I'd give you a gentle sqeeze and wish you a good nite's sleep. Do get well and keep us informed as to your POSITIVE progress. Chris sittin in the waiting room.

Todays Agenda

Todays Agenda

Today we are going to take Randy to the doctor for general follow up. Then find a couple of burrs for my Dremel then to the car show. Should be fun. Jodi is in for the weekend. My best friends daughter is having the bachlorette party. She goes home on Monday. Talk to you all later.

We go to IL. often my best friend and sister live there so I am going to take you up on the fishing.

Love Always
Lisa
P.S. Will catch you up on vickie later, pray for her I feel she is at a decision point.

Latest posts

Back