The other side of surgery at 10 Weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

I wanted to post this thread for the folks in the waiting room. Here I am at 10 weeks post surgery and really feeling good. Outside of my one bump with a-flutter it has been pretty uneventful, including the surgery itself and time in the hospital, and do I ever feel blessed! In addition to going to cardiac rehab 3 days a week I am exercising on my own (walking, pilates) and feel myself gaining strength and energy. I also started back to Weight Watchers (I'm a Lifer who is having to pay right now!) and have lost 9 lbs so far. I am 14 1/2 pounds lighter than my pre-op weigh in the day before surgery.

The other kind of interesting change on this side of surgery is that I am enjoying my job much more. Maybe it has something to do with the support I felt from the people I work for and with during the time I was out after my surgery, but it is certainly a positive I was not expecting.

excellent news! your progress is amazing! I'm ten months out and feeling actually a bit better than before surgery. good luck to you!

That's great! I see that your sister may be following in your footsteps with Dr. Ryan. He seems to be a great surgeon!

Adrienne said:
That's great! I see that your sister may be following in your footsteps with Dr. Ryan. He seems to be a great surgeon!

Adrienne - Yes, it's looking that way. I have tried to let her draw her own conclusions from my experience and others on this web site and not push my surgeon on her. I know I pretty much have Dr Ryan up on a pedestal! When I was in his waiting room post surgery and talking about him to 2 brand new patients who were having their first consultation. They asked me what he looked and I said...'well...he's VERY tall and.....well what does a hero look like?!'. They laughed!! My step daughter told me later he's not that tall. :D

Great news Mary. Stay strong and contunue with your exceptionally good recovery. Too bad about going back to work -- bummer -- but it sounds like your co-workers are supportive.

9 weeks post surgery

9 weeks post surgery

Hi just logged on and saw your 10 weeks post surgery, and feeling good.
I myself am nine weeks post surgery, I had an aeorta valve replaced, and I to am feeling good. I tried numerous times to get onto this site prior to my operation,unfortunately my computor was not behaving its self for some weeks leading up to it. It would have been encouraging to hear about other peoples experiences, worries and fears, but was not meant to be.
I am returning to work in three weeks time, and looking forward to it, as I also received lots of support from my colleagues.
The rehab sessions I attend are only held twice weekly, but feel they are of benefit.
My surgery and time in hospital went well, I was pleased to return home to my family.
Wishing anyone out there who is waiting all the best
MaryC said:
I wanted to post this thread for the folks in the waiting room. Here I am at 10 weeks post surgery and really feeling good. Outside of my one bump with a-flutter it has been pretty uneventful, including the surgery itself and time in the hospital, and do I ever feel blessed! In addition to going to cardiac rehab 3 days a week I am exercising on my own (walking, pilates) and feel myself gaining strength and energy. I also started back to Weight Watchers (I'm a Lifer who is having to pay right now!) and have lost 9 lbs so far. I am 14 1/2 pounds lighter than my pre-op weigh in the day before surgery.

The other kind of interesting change on this side of surgery is that I am enjoying my job much more. Maybe it has something to do with the support I felt from the people I work for and with during the time I was out after my surgery, but it is certainly a positive I was not expecting.

Hi Magpeg,

Glad you got your computer to work and posted your story. I'm sure those in the waiting room will take comfort in your progress. Welcome to the VR community.

MaryC said:
I know I pretty much have Dr Ryan up on a pedestal! When I was in his waiting room post surgery and talking about him to 2 brand new patients who were having their first consultation. They asked me what he looked and I said...'well...he's VERY tall and.....well what does a hero look like?!'. They laughed!! My step daughter told me later he's not that tall. :D

I think it's all relative. Mary's stepdaughter IS tall. To her Dr. Ryan may be normal or below average, but to those of us at average height for a woman, I have to say I think he IS tall, although I only saw him briefly in the family room after surgery at which time I was pretty stressed.

Back