The new Roche Coaguchek XS !?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johnM

Competiton for Hemosense

Competiton for Hemosense

Hemosense has been expecting this competiton and will also be coming out with a newer improved user friendly unit to stay in the game. Roche apparently has been able to sell the S to doctors and labs but not to individuals in this country without FDA approval. Some individuals like our friend Dick Vinsant were able to get around this by getting his unit in the UK.
Roche has a dominant position with the professions in USA, UK, Germany, etc. I'm not sure they want to get approval from the FDA for individual sales of the XS, which are less profitable and require expensive training.

I just went and had a look at it - looks good. We use coaguchek S anyway - Love it!! Not sure I'd change over without a lot of persuasion though knowing our one works so well, but great for people who are coming new to all this I suppose.

xxx

Marty said:
Hemosense has been expecting this competiton and will also be coming out with a newer improved user friendly unit to stay in the game. Roche apparently has been able to sell the S to doctors and labs but not to individuals in this country without FDA approval. Some individuals like our friend Dick Vinsant were able to get around this by getting his unit in the UK.
Roche has a dominant position with the professions in USA, UK, Germany, etc. I'm not sure they want to get approval from the FDA for individual sales of the XS, which are less profitable and require expensive training.
I can't imagine an easier INRatio unless they figured out how to make the blood go into the well better (without needing capillary tubes). It will be interesting to see an improved model.

XS blood application to strip

XS blood application to strip

Very interesting posting about Coaguchek XS.

The Roche website mentions "vial of twelve" test strips but do not show an illustration. I wonder if they need to be refrigerated the same as the test strips for the S model

Also top or side application of the blood--I wonder do you scrape your bleeding finger on the side of the strip to do the test? Puzzling.

lance said:
Very interesting posting about Coaguchek XS.

The Roche website mentions "vial of twelve" test strips but do not show an illustration. I wonder if they need to be refrigerated the same as the test strips for the S model

Also top or side application of the blood--I wonder do you scrape your bleeding finger on the side of the strip to do the test? Puzzling.

According to info on Roche site, strips do not need to be refrigerated and they provide on-board control test.

According to the sites I've looked at the price seems to knock everyone else out of the water. Roche in UK is offering for 399 pounds. (My converter says $708 US. At that price approval for use in US would put it in reach for a lot of people.

I was originally going to try to get a Protime but after reading the other threads I changed my mind to the INRation despite the .6 over range recommendation. (Was QAS encouraging me to get the Protime because they were trying to reduce inventories?)

I do wonder if Roche is seeking FDA approval... tried to find info on FDA site but didn't see anything for this device. Based on what I read on Roche site this seems like it would be my first choice.

Cris

Call me cautious, but I don't really want to be an early adopter on something as critical as this. I'm sure it's been through all sorts of exaustive testing, but I'd like it to be in the field for a good 6 months or more to be sure that any glitches in the machine or the strip supply chain are ironed out.
Having said that, it does look like quite an improvement on the CoaguChek S that I have.
Now, will Roche offer any tempting trade-in/upgrade deals ?...

If they really want to impress with some new technology, then I'd suggest they come up with an INR monitor that does not require strips and blood puncturing but real time "scanning". If we have Blu-Ray discs, General Relativity, rovers on Mars, and a man on the moon, then this should be possible. :)

Dick Vincent a veteran at this website goes regularly to the UK on business. He said he likes new toys and will buy an XS for $690! Check with him later to see how it works and compares with his S model. I understan Roche needs FDA approval both to sell to doctors, labs, and of course to individual patients. As far as I know they have not yet started the approval process.

Huh?

Huh?

Cris N said:
According to the sites I've looked at the price seems to knock everyone else out of the water. Roche in UK is offering for 399 pounds. (My converter says $708 US. At that price approval for use in US would put it in reach for a lot of people.

I was originally going to try to get a Protime but after reading the other threads I changed my mind to the INRation despite the .6 over range recommendation. (Was QAS encouraging me to get the Protime because they were trying to reduce inventories?)

I do wonder if Roche is seeking FDA approval... tried to find info on FDA site but didn't see anything for this device. Based on what I read on Roche site this seems like it would be my first choice.

Cris

What do you mean by ".6 over range recommendation"?

New CoaguChek XS

New CoaguChek XS

I just received my new CoaguChek XS which produced an INR reading of 2.5. Confirmed by a lab test 8 hours later also at 2.5.
Cost was AU$ 1045 (~US$785) incl 24 test strips.

One happy camper!

-Rod

Coaguchek XS request for info

Coaguchek XS request for info

Great to learn you are a happy camper regarding your XS Coaguchek.

Does it require chemical solutions an/or an electronic quality control to test it's accuracy or all all controls "on board"?

What about the strips? Do they need refrigeration and how much do they cost?

I'm very happy with my Coaguchek S but it doesn't hurt to learn about other models.

Sandra

lance said:
Great to learn you are a happy camper regarding your XS Coaguchek.

Does it require chemical solutions an/or an electronic quality control to test it's accuracy or all all controls "on board"?

What about the strips? Do they need refrigeration and how much do they cost?

I'm very happy with my Coaguchek S but it doesn't hurt to learn about other models.

Sandra

The quality controls are built into the test strips and no solutions are required. Each batch (of 25) is supplied with a calibration chip which is inserted (and stored) in the monitor. The associated 3-digit number is confirmed during each operation.

Storage temperature range is 2~30C (36~86F) hence refrigeration isn't generally required. The test strips are slightly more expensive than the S strips, but by not requiring seperate QA measures they probably work out the same. Per strip cost is around AU$7 (~US$5) vs AU$6 for the S strip.

BTW, what is the cost of the CoaguChek S strip in the US?

-Rod

Coaguchek S strip cost

Coaguchek S strip cost

Hello Rod,

A box of 12 Coag S strips cost $82.58 Cdn. today. Two are used for chemical controls leaving 10 for blood.

A US dollar is worth about $1.20 Cdn.

The XS looks to be cheaper to buy because it does not require the $400 Electronic Quality control device to check the high/low range accuracy so that's an improvement.

Yesterday, I had a vein draw done to check the accuracy of the S monitor. The local lab is a great one--both tests the same so it appears the lab is accurate.

Cheers

Back