The HemoSense INRatio monitor: A Review

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

The HemoSense INRatio Monitor:A Review

What you get in the starter kit:

Carrying case that measures 9?L x 9?W x 3?H
The INRatio Monitor unit
4 AA Batteries
A lancet device
Lancets
Alcohol swabs
Gauze pads
Quick start reference card
Users Guide
Patients results log
1 year limited warranty

In addition, you will need:

Test strips
Home sharps container

Optional Items that can be purchased:
AC Adaptor
Printer

The carrying tote is a nice little feature. It is finished with a velvety felt type, dark blue material and seems fairly durable. It has 2 zippers with which to open and close the tote along with a handle to carry it. It holds the monitor securely, but your supplies will be all over the place unless you secure them in something other then the compartments that are in the case. There is a zippered pouch that folds over the compartments however, if there is anything causing the pouch to swell out a bit, you?ll never get the cover closed or at the very least, you?ll crush whatever is in the compartments or the pouch. I also found out while taking the unit with me to the Coumadin Clinic, that you should not store the users guide inside the case. What happens is that it crosses the keypad area of the meter and there is a molding drop down built into the case which holds the meter in it?s compartment very securely, but add something like the users manual and there is no clearance between that drop and the keypad. I found the unit to have been powered on for the duration of that trip. DOH!

The test strips

You get a box of 12 strips with each box containing a strip code. This code is used as a calibration reference for the meter. Each strip has 3 channels. 1 low control channel, 1 blood testing channel, and 1 high control channel. As you can see, the controls are built into each strip. The strips come in a foil sealed pouch containing Argon gas and a little container of desiccant to absorb moisture. The strips should be stored between 35F and 45F until the expiration date on the box. They can be stored at room temperature for up to 90 days or the expiration date, which comes first. Once opened, the strip must be used within 10 minutes. The reagents used in the strips are recombinant thromboplastin, stabilizers and preservatives. The control channels have human, plasma extracted coagulation factors and buffers to yield predetermined clotting times for high and low controls. This gives the strips an ISI of 1. The strips and the meter use a electrochemical form of testing rather then photo testing. Changes in the impedance are measured and detected by the meter and converted to PT/INR readings.

The meter

The meter itself measures 6.25?L x 3?W at it?s widest point x 2.25?H and fits nicely in the palm of the hand though that is not how you test with it. Total weight is just 11.5oz Operating conditions are Temperature between 65F and 95F and Humidity between 10 and 85% without condensation. The unit stores the last 60 tests in memory for review.

Setting up the meter and testing

Once you put the batteries in, you can start the meter by pressing any button. The meter will first do a self test and then prompt to insert strip. The first thing you want to do is go to the menu and get the meter set up. You can set the Time and Date using either a 12 or 24 hour clock system, have the meter show PT and INR or INR only, you can configure it for your desired range, but if your out of range a lot, this can be aggravating so I left it disabled, choose whether to print or no printer, and set the language or which you have English, French, German, Italian, or Spanish to choose from. Once you have the meter set up, it?s ready to go. You need only run this set up the first time. It is a remembered function.

Running the tests

Get a strip out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for 5 minutes or so before testing. Meanwhile, gather everything else you need and prepare your finger for the finger stick. Once your ready and the strip has had time to warm up, push any button to turn the meter on. It will energize and perform the self test. When it completes the self test, it will say ?Insert Strip?. Once inserted, the machine will ask about the strip code. If the code does not match what?s on the strip pouch, you must use the buttons to change the code on the machine to match. Once you?ve got that done, the machine will say ?Warming?. Take this opportunity to get your finger and lancet device where you want it. When the machine is ready, it will say ?Apply Sample?. Lance your finger and use the first hanging drop of blood and apply it to the strip well. The machine will appear to be doing nothing for a couple of seconds until the blood fills the channels, then it will say ?Testing?. If all goes well, you?ll have your results in about 2 minutes or less. Should the machine give an error code, you need to write it down as the machine does not store errors or error results. You?ll need that when you call support. If you should get a Quality Control error, you must start over with a new strip and another finger stick. If you miss the well with the sample or don?t apply enough of a sample, you must begin again with a new strip and new finger stick.

All in all, I?m very happy with this monitor. I took it and tested it against my Coumadin Clinics Coaguchek unit and against an ITC Protime unit though at this time, I have yet to test against a lab draw. There is a .6 tolerance allowance between readings. The results of the Coaguchek with ISI of 2 and the INRatio with its ISI of 1 was:

Coagucheck 3.3 vs. INRatio 2.6 which is a .7 difference. Still don?t know what the deal was there, but since both readings were within my acceptable range, we chose not to worry about it.

ITC Protime 3.0 vs. INRatio 2.9 which is a .1 difference.

Very little blood is needed to run the test (15uL) I almost look forward to sticking myself every week. You need only the very first hanging drop of blood. The unit is as small as it gets and the strips also are very small. The only thing I?ve messed up on is applying the blood sample. For some reason, my hanging drop likes to hit the rim of the well and go around it rather then on and in it. So long as you get that blood in the well, there is no trouble. I have no trouble recommending this unit to anyone thinking of home testing. I think you will be pleased and it just doesn?t get any easier.

The unit is offered by our very own QAS for anyone interested in receiving more information or wishing to obtain the unit.

Contact Mike George at QAS HemoSense Division at 1-800-563-5680 Extension 2402

Capillary tubes?

Capillary tubes?

Ross, I am so happy you now have a monitor for self testng and know you will soon be self dosing and not bothering your doctors anymore. Have you considered using capillary tubes to place the blood properly? I had trouble getting the sample on the Coaguchek strips until Roche sent me a container of the tubes and rubber bulbs to squirt with. To me, they are invaluable.

I've thought about it Marty. I guess there is some warning to NOT use them, as it may affect the results with this meter. I really don't know why it would. The nice thing is that it takes so very little blood (I estimate 1/3 to 1/2 of a capillary tube worth) to run the test. As long as I can discipline that evil hanging drop of blood before it falls, to fall into the well on not on the rim, I'll be alright. :D

Capillary tubes?

Capillary tubes?

Ross, you have been advised that drawing blood into a capillary tube might have an adverse effect on the INR reading. I have heard that from another lab person but she could not or would not tell me why she made that statement. Roche sent me tubes because I was having trouble getting a drop of blood in sufficient quanity on the test strip. Where did you hear this? Did they give you any evidence? By the way the Coaguchek tests with 1/3 filled tube if squirted dead center on the spot.

Marty if memory serves me correctly, it was Mike at QAS. When I asked him about it, even he wasn't sure why there was a recommendation against it, so that basically is still unanswered.

I always thought Coagucheck would use less blood then what my Coumadin Nurse always took. The well on their strips looks to be the same size and the channels seem to be the same length. She always filled that capillary tube to the max and zapped the well with more then enough to get the job done. What concerned me there is that she did some heavy squeezing to get the sample which makes me wonder if she didn't get a lot of other fluid with the sample. :confused:

Lets say you get a 90 day supply of strips (12) and you test once a week. Those strips can be left at room temperature for the entire 90 day period or until the expiration date hits, whichever is first. Now lets say you have some strips left and just got another box. Keep the new strips in the fridigator until you use the others up, then you can take the new box out and date the box and use within 90 days or just keep all of them refrigerated and use as needed. I hope this makes sense in my screwy way of putting things.

You get phone training on the unit just as if you had gotten the ITC Protime, Coaguchek or Harmony meter. 10 to 15 minutes of training for most people. Some need more. Read the literature that comes in the package before hand and you'll have a mighty jump on the whole process.

If you have any more questions, you can either ask me or give Mike George a call at QAS. I put his number in the first post above.

Ross - Glad you got a machine !! Sure as heck beats sitting in a doctors waiting room with all those sick people, not to mention the drive to and from. Chris

....and the walk from the parking deck to the building, then the walk to the elevator, then to the Doctors Office when you can't breath to start with! ;)

Ross, I forgot to congratulate you as well! I know it helps me feel like I have more control over my life and I'm pretty sure you will soon feel that way too.

You might even spend a little time making a list of parameters and results and how you would like to handle them if they come up................you know the ones,........like if over 5.0 and no symptoms of bleeding, reduce dose by 10-15% over a week and retest..,.................. Fax it to your doctor to see if he would like to change anything.

You might want to add something like ......."if over 6.0 immediately call physician" (It might make him feel more involved:) .

Hey Ross

Congrats on the new monitor. We got the same one and like you Bob has has a little trouble with his aim--getting too much on the rim instead of in the center--maybe we should make a suggestion that they slope the rings around the test area so the blood flows down. (If this is possible I don't know.) Bob has managed to waiste several strips lately, but finally got it right this last week and his INR was right in line with the draw he had done about a weeek and 1/2 before that.

Where did you get all that info, I kept looking for some of that stuff, but I must have missed it if it was in the packet they sent us. Anyhoo, you will really like this tester, and I guess we're not alone QAS told me they can barely keep the strips in stock because it is selling so well.

Good luck with the home testing.

Joan

I don't think they can Joan. I sit an marvel at how they can bond that material together and still have 3 channels that actually allow a blood sample to flow into them. I'd hate to guess at how many thousandth of inch clearance exists. Heck it might be more like 10 thousandths!

If it continues to be a problem, I'm going to have to ask Hosack Tom for the part numbers of those capillary tubes and bulbs. You sure don't want to waste very many strips. Tom gave me the info before, but it's on the hard drive in the broken down computer.

All of the info is a blend of the owners manual, call in check list and the strip insert. If you have all of that, you have all that info too. ;)

Ok I didn't read every scrap that came with the monitor--guess I should have.

I too marvel at the technology, but I guess working in the semi-conductor industry for a few years have jaded me on how much stuff you can put into a small space! You would be amazed at how much is crammed onto a litttle silcone chip!!

Forgot to mention that when Bob was having so much trouble getting a test to go right I landed up talking a Hemosence representative and she was very nice. The unit is manfactured about 30 miles from where I live so she said she would pay us a visit if we couldn't get the testing on track. I was impressed.

Joan

Ask them about the capillary tubes if you can. I'm curious to see what they say about using them. Sure, it's an added expense, but it's not something that will break us and it would certainly cut down on wasted strips.

Ok I'll try to remember to dig out her number and give her a call. (Thursdays is my Friday--I work 32 hours a week--and my new knee is about fried by that day, I usually limp home and go to bed.)

I'm not sure those would help Bob, he has trouble with small things in his hands, but it might be worth a try, as you said you don't want to waste too many of those strips.

Joan

I order my capillary tubes and little rubber bulbs from Roche at
1-800-428-5076
No special #. Comes 100 tubes in a vial. Don't need to reorder very often. I wasted a lot of strips till I found out about them.

Latest posts

Back