The girl who had two hearts

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ClickerTicker

Not strictly a valve advance, but still quite an amazing story. Shows that the heart can recover somewhat when allowed to rest. I guess it's quite an endorsement for ventricular assist devices (in a roundabout way). For those of us whose hearts were a bit damaged prior to valve replacement, any sort of advance in this area is welcome.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4904914.stm

Brilliant development for cardiomyopathy patients especially isnt it!! I read about it yesterday with amazement. They got Pro Magdi Yacoub back in too for this one to advise.

Emma
xxx

What a fantastic story! I am so thankful for the medical people who make it their life's work to help people with seemingly insurmountable problems to live.

Hi all,
This little girl didnt have a LVAD implanted - Prof Magdi Yacoub did what is called 'piggy back' heart with her when he did her op 10 years ago.
Her own heart was left in alongside the new donor heart incase it was able to recover (which is sometimes the case in some forms of cardiomyopathy) - which is what happened for this little girl thankgoodness. Her own, original heart was reconnected when the donor one failed and is now working well.
The little girl also had leukeumia, which can be a side effect of the anti-rejection drugs they give after transplant, so she's been through one hell of a lot - brave little girl!
My friends little girl is currently waiting for a heart transplant which is why developments like these interest me so much especially at the moment.
Love Emma
xxx

Latest posts

Back