The Big Stick (g rated)

• Thread starter Central Jersey Steve
  • Start date
Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Central Jersey Steve

I am starting (in earnest) my research into all things big and small for my surgery (whenever in the next few years that may be).

As I have decided that I will go mechanical (as well as ballistic :cool: ), I am doing some preliminary coumadin research. It probably seems strange that after going through this surgery, I would be concerned about the following, but I am (will be). How is the blood drawn w/a home kit? A finger stick? Is it painful? My earliest childhood memories were going to the pediatrician's office and having my hemoglobin checked w/those extruciating finger pricks ;) , which I hated!

Thanks.

Steve it's not a big deal. Now there are autolancets. The needle puncture is done so fast that there isn't any time for pain. Just click and bleed. :D It's a far cry from those primitive V shaped lancets that you had to use by hand. Heck this is almost enjoyable now. Far better then a vein stick any day!

Ross,

Thank you for the information. I just have so many things I need to know.

As I've said, my surgery could be in 6 months, 1 year, or 2 depending on how all the stats change (or don't - heart size, aneursym size, etc). I want have decided already on how I will manage my condition after the surgery. I long ago decided that I would go mechanical ( I am 50) as I want to minimze as much as possible the odds of having to go through any more valve replacements.

I had a visit last week w/an Adult Congenital Heart Disease Cardiologist who seemed a bit more certain than my cardiologist (they know one another and both are in practice at Columbia) that my surgery is sooner than later. I will be calling both today to find out the results of their discussion.

Steve

Check out the On-X mechanical valve by doing a SEARCH for On-x on VR.com and/or a Google search. This valve is designed to reduce turbulence and is therefore less likely to cause blood clot formation. There is a study going on in Europe to see how On-X valve recipients do using only Aspirin therapy and the results look promising so far.

'AL Capshaw'

Finger stick

Finger stick

Central Jersey Steve said:
I am starting (in earnest) my research into all things big and small for my surgery (whenever in the next few years that may be).

As I have decided that I will go mechanical (as well as ballistic :cool: ), I am doing some preliminary coumadin research. It probably seems strange that after going through this surgery, I would be concerned about the following, but I am (will be). How is the blood drawn w/a home kit? A finger stick? Is it painful? My earliest childhood memories were going to the pediatrician's office and having my hemoglobin checked w/those extruciating finger pricks ;) , which I hated!

Thanks.

There is no comparison to your previous experiences with the hemoglobin test and the finger stick method of drawing blood because the side of the finger has fewer nerve endings. So that's good news.

The INR test goes into the side of the finger just to the inside of the nail bed. I use the largest sized lancet that Roch makes and it's so soft it's hard to know the finger has been pricked. So finger stick and pain is really a non-issue.

It's great you have the lead time to investigate the options in valve selection and the products available for home INR checking.

I strongly suggest you read all of the posts on warfarin therapy, familiarize yourself with warfarin.com (Al Lodwich's website) and read it frequently for updates--find out everything you can about this drug. You owe it to yourself to do this. Beyond telling a patient that warfarin is for life and requires testing it's my experience doctors skim the surface of what this product is about. e.g. they give the opening sentence of what could be a book. Patients need the information up to and including the final sentance.

There are various types of valves and whichever one you choose will be right for you.

Best wishes for the future

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back