Thanks to everyone here

• Thread starter Rose of Sharron
  • Start date
Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rose of Sharron

Wanted to say a special thank you to all on this site. Your comments and encouragement have been a great help to me these past few months and I felt it was time to stop "lurking" and let you all know.

My husband was diagnosed with "asthma" earlier this year after several months of bronchial problems (HMO, need I say more?). Since the doctor had identified an aortic murmur in 1999 and the cardio didn't seem concerned about the heart enlargement or regurgitation level; we ignored it figuring he was too young, we wouldn't have to deal with it for a LONG time, etc. Wrong! Thought the systems sounded too much like CHF after web search, so changed physician group and doctor to get a good cardio recommended to us and had surgery for the aortic valve replacement within two months.

Surgery went well; surgeon, hospital and nurses were wonderful. One hitch with a-fib before he left that finally responded to cardioversion. Thanks especially for all the helpful advice on what to bring for the day of surgery and stuff to have afterwards - Ken especially likes the satiny button-down shirts!

Now going through warfarin ups and downs with an HMO system that makes me crazy on a regular basis. Rejected for Pro-Time, but will continue to pursue. Rejected for cardiovascular rehab. ("he can walk" so he doesn't need it they say -grrr!); approved for physical therapy, but don't know how much he'll get.

Now dealing with possible minor TIA's (two episodes). Ken got an echo Friday and should hear from the cardio on Monday - praying it's nothing serious, but it will be a definite trip to the ER if there's another one (should be a fun outing with three kids, you think?!).

Anyway, thank you for your marvelous support of each other and the wealth of information here. We pray regularly for those of you going through particularly rough times.

Sorry this post is so long; that's what I get for waiting so long to post :(

My sister-in-law sent me this joke, so I thought I'd pass it along
:D
A mechanic is working on an engine when he spots a famous heart surgeon in the shop, dropping off his Mercedes. The mechanic shouts across the garage, "Hey, Doc, c'm'ere a minute." The surgeon walks over, the mechanic straightens up, wipes his hands on a rag and says, "Look, just like you, I take these valves out, put in fresh ones, and when I'm done this car will run like new. So how's come you get the big bucks when you and me are doing basically the same work?" The doctor leans over and whispers to the mechanic, "Try doing it while the engine is running."

Welcome and thanks for joining in on all the fun.

I know what you mean about not taking it too seriously and thinking things are a long way off.

Seems real common to get the a-fib event, I did and many others.

Glad to hear yet another success story. It gives confidence to all, as you probably already know and understand.

Hope all continues well for your family.

Bill

hi rose!
as you already know, this is a wonderful place. everyone here is so great, they really helped me through my husband's surgery (before and after): i could never have done it without their support.
i'm glad to see that your husband is doing well. as bill mentioned, afib is very common after this surgery ( joey had it too and is currently on amiodarone for it, soon to be taken off).
i'm so glad you decided to come into the room and join us.
please keep coming back. it's a fabulous family.
stay well, sylvia

Hi Rose-

Let's get all those lurkers out in the open, LOL;)

I'm so glad you have found this site. You already know how important it is to everyone here. Most of us don't know too many people in our daily lives that understand about this surgery, even our families sometimes don't have depth in their understanding. But here, everyone gets it. That's the glue that holds us all together. We help each other through some pretty tough times, and celebrate when things work out, plus there's a little fun thrown in.

My husband is the patient here and he's been through more medical problems than any human should have to endure. But he's here and living his life. He's been through just about all of the things your husband has been going through, including the TIAs. And the whole site is filled with survivors and heroes of all kinds of heart problems.

So welcome here and make yourself comfortable. I hope we see you here often.

Congratulations on following your intuition to obtain proper treatment for your husband Rose !

Since your insurance won't cover Cardiac Rehab, I'd recommend getting a Heart Rate Monitor ($50 at Wal Mart in their sporting goods department) to monitor his HR during exercise. Ask his cardiologist for an exercise plan.

My cardiac rehab started with 10 minutes each on a Treadmill, Schwinn Airdyne Bike, and an arm exerciser (pedals with variable resistance). Intensity is adjusted to a 'somewhat hard' level of perceived exertion. Blood Pressure is measured by nurses before, during (once), and after exercising. (It would be good to also have a home BP cuff and stethoscope).

After 6 weeks in the program (beginning 12 weeks post op), I'm doing
30 minutes on the treadmill, including a gradual warmup from 1.5 MPH to 3.4 MPH and 3 or 4% grade, 15 minutes on the bike, and 12 minutes on an arm machine, with a HR between 125 and 130.

It would probably be best for someone to be with him if he is 'pushing' his exercise levels, again, with his Doctor's approval.

Best wishes for his continued recovery.

'AL'

Welcome Rose....So glad you decided to join us on this site. It's a wonderful, friendly place and MUCH support and love flows through here every day. I'm Evelyn of Evelyn and Tyce. My husband had AVR in June. Thinking back, I'm not sure I remember how I found this site, but don't know what I would have done without it.....they brought me from a total basket case to someone who was able to handle the surgery, deal with it, and one who is now minutely knowledgeable.....the best part is that if you have a question, this group will go out of their way to answer or find an answer for you.

Good luck with your HMO...keep fighting for that Protime, it's definitely worth it. Keep fighting, too, for rehab, whatever they give you is better than nothing.

Again, so glad you're here.

Evelyn

Hey, Rose - Bonnie told me you were peekin - she knows all about the lurkers; can't hide from her.

Welcome to the VR site. So glad to know that it has helped. Guess this site helps at times when we have no idea. Glad to have you on board. God bless

Welcome to a homeschooler! We homeschooled for the last few years our children were in grade school.
Cardiac rehab was so wonderful after surgery; I am shocked that your insurance won't cover it. When I went, I was told that if my insurance didn't cover it, it would cost me just over $100 for six weeks, what they called Phase II; I'm sure my insurance, with did cover it, paid substantially more.

I'm Evelyn of Evelyn and Tyce.
Watch out people. This sounds like the beginning of a corporate takeover!:D

Welcome to the family Rose. Enjoy your stay and offer your knowledge to those who are looking and lurking.

The Forum Screwball,
Ross

Rose - Welcome to the web site. I also had my surgery when I was 47. Hope your husband Ken is doing well and staying out of afib. Keep in touch about Ken and send more mechanic stories.

Welcome aboard, Rose! You'll have plenty of company here dealing with HMO vagueries and frustrations.

Like the joke. :D

--Johnny

Welcome Rose!

Don't be shy about posting specific questions. Most likely, several people here will have experience in that area and can help out.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Evelyn of Evelyn and Tyce. (from Evelyn)

Watch out people. This sounds like the beginning of a corporate takeover! (Ross' reply)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ross, I think the merger went through, although it is not clear which party initiated the merger. As with most mergers, one party usually is required to have some internal reorganization and restructuring. The dominant party to the merger is usually in charge of communications and public relations. Let's hope this merger continues to be successful!

;) John

OKAY YOU GUYS......

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, THE MERGER WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS, AND YOU'RE RIGHT, THERE WAS MUCH INTERNAL RESTRUCTURING. THIS DOMINANT PARTY IS NOT ONLY IN CHARGE OF COMMUNICATIONS, BUT ALSO FINANCES, SO WE WILL BE SELLING SHARES OF STOCK TO INCREASE OUR CAPITAL. ANYONE WISHING TO GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR FOR OUR IPO IS MORE THAN WELCOME TO DONATE!!!-----BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T CALL ME "MARTHA STEWART!!!!!"

EVELYN

Ok, John and Ross, STOP PESTERING EVELYN! Do I need to send you boys to your rooms without dinner? LOL
WElcome to the site Rose, everyone on it is great! My name is Joy, and i had my mitral valve replaced on AUgust 27th of last year. I too am the victim of an HMO(military insurance), but fought hard to get to go to the doctors I wanted, and have the surgery I needed at the hospital I wanted. See, the military believes that if they provide the service, that there is no reason to get to have the surgery in an outside facility. I argued that, they got sick of my phone calls, and they said "fine, go ahead and have it there." I just feel that I deserve(everyone does)the most optimal health care I can get. So I don't let the insurance company say no. ANyway, good luck on the TIA's, and welcome once again to the site!

Latest posts

Back